General Category > General Discussion

FsDreamTeam introduces user controlled Deactivation

<< < (2/10) > >>

skimmer:
So if I get a new hard drive with just Windows 7 on it can I still install all my fsdt products without this Deactivation program?

Clutch Cargo:
Agree.  This is a nice touch.  I think you guys have one of the best installers out there.  Now you will probably have one of the un-installers,  ;).

Clutch

virtuali:

--- Quote from: skimmer on February 07, 2011, 06:01:28 pm ---So if I get a new hard drive with just Windows 7 on it can I still install all my fsdt products without this Deactivation program?
--- End quote ---

When upgrading your system drive (the drive Windows boots from), you'll have to Deactivate before the hard drive change, this will increase your remaining activations by one. It will basically "forget" you installed the scenery on that system.

You then install the new hard drive, do all the installations including FSDT products, and activate them all using your Serial Number. This will use an activation, so the net total would be unchanged at the end of the upgrade.

Without Deactivation, this would have consumed an activation more.

RRSignal:
Sorry if I'm sneezing on the party cake, but this is like going from the sewer into the unflushed toilet; it is not an improvement! The DRM is still there. And, among other things, what happens when Virtualis/FSDreamTeam decides to stop supporting your products, or go out of business? (Hint: The same thing that happened with Yahoo Music, and will happen with MSN's music later this year.)

virtuali:

--- Quote from: RRSignal on February 07, 2011, 09:32:07 pm ---it is not an improvement!
--- End quote ---

Surely is. Before, if you upgraded your hardware, it would use one of your activations. Now, if you deactivate first, it won't.

--- Quote ---The DRM is still there
--- End quote ---

And it's going to stay, just like FSX, which is the host program our products runs into, just like Windows, which is the OS under which both FSX and our products runs under. All of them use online activation, except we give more activations than Microsoft, and FSX/Windows DRMs don't allow user controlled deactivation.

So, if you have accepted FSX and Windows DRM with online activations, there are no reasons why you couldn't accept ours.

--- Quote --- And, among other things, what happens when Virtualis/FSDreamTeam decides to stop supporting your products, or go out of business? (Hint: The same thing that happened with Yahoo Music, and will happen with MSN's music later this year.
--- End quote ---

This has been already explained long ago: if we went of out business, what will happen, is basically nothing. We don't run the activations servers ourselves, Esellerate/Digital River does. Which means, you should worry if THEY would go out of business...

The activations are handled automatically, and now there's the Deactivation, it would be very difficult to consume all your 6 activations. AND, since there's the auto-reclaim of older activations after 90 days, our products will self-activate indefinitely, even in our absence.

In the unlikely event Digital River would go out of business, we will of course find another ecommerce provider by then, and migrate all the existing activations to a different system.

The comparison with Yahoo Music and MSN music is also wrong for a different reason: they weren't selling their own stuff, they licensed music from someone else, which means they couldn't plan a solution for the existing purchasers. We have the full rights to our stuff so, in case we'd go out of business, the most likely outcome could be we'll pass our products and our customers orders data to another flight sim company.

What happened to Cloud9 customers when they decided to quit from the flight sim business ? Nothing: they handled their product support to us, and all existing customers had their order preserved, and much better licensing conditions too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version