Author Topic: FSX Acceleration Hornet - Armed & Dangerous  (Read 36624 times)

Mickey_Techy

Re: FSX Acceleration Hornet - Armed & Dangerous
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 05:19:00 am »
Hey JR,

I was just thinking..... now that you have developed this level of competence and expertise in doing up the HUD, would you (or the other experts on this forum) consider developing the 'HUD symbology' for Air to Ground attack modes as well.

Primarily, we are looking at doing a 'BFL (bomb fall line) to be displayed, along with CCIP/CCRP (Continuously Computed Impact Point/Continuously Computed Release Point) symbologies. Even if the 'bombs' actually do not fall off the aircraft, and even if the ground targets do not get destroyed, one could always attach a 'flare' kind of effect  to 'mark' the point of impact on the ground.

Just a thought.

Mickey

SUBS17

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:11 am »
Awesome work best of luck with this.

IRONDAN

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »
I dream about the day when we will see external loadout on the acceleration hornet.

neutrino

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:31 pm »
Mike, a lot can be done, including an A/G mode, the only problem is that any of these additional add-ons cost about 150-300 hours of research, programming and testing, if they have to be done right, and this is a lot of time. It looks like it's something small that you can do for a couple of days, and it turns out you need at least a month  :)

Hey JR,

I was just thinking..... now that you have developed this level of competence and expertise in doing up the HUD, would you (or the other experts on this forum) consider developing the 'HUD symbology' for Air to Ground attack modes as well.

Primarily, we are looking at doing a 'BFL (bomb fall line) to be displayed, along with CCIP/CCRP (Continuously Computed Impact Point/Continuously Computed Release Point) symbologies. Even if the 'bombs' actually do not fall off the aircraft, and even if the ground targets do not get destroyed, one could always attach a 'flare' kind of effect  to 'mark' the point of impact on the ground.

Just a thought.

Mickey

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
Mike, a lot can be done, including an A/G mode, the only problem is that any of these additional add-ons cost about 150-300 hours of research, programming and testing, if they have to be done right, and this is a lot of time. It looks like it's something small that you can do for a couple of days, and it turns out you need at least a month  :)

Gotcha JR.

I agree.

I just laid bare my thoughts on the subject, that's all.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:49 pm »
Raz...

Great kills, especially on the VRS 'Bug.  Hehehe!! (for those of you that know my evil I-just-got-a-guns-kill laugh)

Fellas and future guns killers on everything with a pulse in the multiplayer...

The correct way to make kill calls (over the common freq., so EVERYONE IN TARNATION CAN HEAR YOU) is:

weapon, "kill"; aircraft type you "killed"; maneuver (if applicable); altitude (helps break out specific aircraft)

example:  "GUNS 'KILL'; Viper; left hand turn; 18 thousand." or "GUNS 'KILL'; Rhino (superhornet); right turn; 22 thousand."

Also, if you are setting up a fight in FSX:
1.  Have both fighters (BLUE/RED AIR) in formation at 20k MSL on same heading (ie.360).  Make determination who is to be BLUE AIR and RED AIR.
2.  One fighter (RED AIR) breaks off and heads recip. heading (ie.180) til a 10 NM separation; at 10NM, BOTH FIGHTERS execute an Immelman.  When BLUE AIR Immelman complete, set altitude anywhere between 25k-29k MSL (5-9k BLOCKS, safety); when RED AIR Immelman complete, he sets his altitude 20K-24k MSL (0-4 BLOCKS).  Now both aircraft are heading towards each other, BLUE AIR is heading 180deg @ 25k w/400kts, RED AIR is heading 360deg @ 22k w/400 kts.
3.  This is a classic, "beak-to-beak", 1v1, neutral merge.  When TALLY (visual) with the opponent, each AIRCRAFT is cleared to climb/descend thru altitude blocks.
4.  After both aircraft pass each others wing, cleared "FIGHT's ON" and you should know what to do from there.

Some example calls for setup; BLUE AIR, "Rattler22" (Sludge TAC Callsign, using VMFA-323 "Rattler" designation) and RED AIR, "Ghost41" (Raz TAC Callsign, VFA-142)

#1 in example above.
Ratter22: "Ghost41, Rattler22, cleared off, break right/left 180 for 10 mile setup."
Ghost41:  "Ghost41."

#2.
Ghost41:  "Rattler22, Ghost41, 10 miles."
Rattler22: "Rattler22, copy.  Starting back toward you."  (voice cue for both aircraft to execute Immelman back toward each other)
(when Immelman complete)
Rattler22: "Ghost41, Rattler22, steady 180, 25 thousand, in the blocks, altimeter 2992."
Ghost41:  "Ghost41, copy.  Ghost41, steady 360, 22 thousand, in the blocks, altimeter 2992."

#3.
Rattler22: "Rattler22's tally Hornet, 22k." (letting RED AIR knows he sees him, safety call; Rattler can now pass thru altitude blocks)
Ghost41:  "Ghost41's tally Hornet, 25k." (letting BLUE AIR knows he sees him, safety call; Ghost can now pass thru altitude blocks)
(as aircraft pass each others wing)
Rattler22: "Rattler22, FIGHT'S ON."
Ghost41:  "Ghost41, FIGHT'S ON."
(self-critiquing, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN)
#4.
(after a quick pitchback and guns kill)
Rattler22: "GUNS KILL, Hornet, right hand turn, 14k."
Ghost41:  "Copy kill."
Rattler22: "Rattler22, terminate." ("Terminate" stops the single fight, and you can reset and do it again.)
Ghost41:  "Ghost41, terminate." (Ghost41 acknowledging "terminate" call)
(..and..)
Rattler22: "Ghost41, Rattler22, rejoin and flow north for reset." (Tells Ghost41 to rejoin on Rattler22 to head north and setup again for another fight.)
Ghost41:  "Ghost41, copy... rejoining."
(or.. if done and RTB)
Rattler22: "Rattler22, Knock-It-Off, Joker." ("Knock-It-Off" is done for low fuel, safety of flight, emergency; stops all fights immediately.)
Ghost41:  "Knock-It-Off." (Ghost41 acknowledging K-I-O.  Bingo (3.0, get home now) and Joker (4.0, 10min above Bingo) are low fuel states.)

Any questions?  If not, get out there and take it to the FSX multi...  AND post more screenshots of guns kills!!

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 06:59:24 pm »
Hey, Sludge, I watched "Speed and Angles" again today, I also noticed they say "Trigger down" to let the other pilot know he is fired at. Of course they also say "speed and angels" ;D They trained BFM at Navy Fighter Weapons School at NAS Fallon.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »
JR...

Yeah, Ive seen that video... definately a primer and requirement for all that wanna learn the beauty of dogfighting.  How they can take a Tomcat and make it semi-viable in a dogfight is a miracle.  Thank God for the Split-S.

I heard the "speed and angels" call, but I think thats Navy/Marine-specific.  I know the usaf doesnt do that, or when doing joint air exercises, everyone defaults to usaf standard brevity calls.  Also, altitude is called differently as a target altitude is called out in thousands (ie. 22 thousand) and whereas friendly aircraft are called out in angels (ex. 22k = angels 22).  The "trigger down" is also Navy/Marine-specific in training.

The reason I mention this is if you setup a fight, you'll have to use usaf standard brevity and procedures.  The Hornets Ive worked with called kills on the common or primary this way.

Found this T-45 Navy Advanced BFM Guide.  What JR is talking about is in there for setups.  Enjoy.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:06:36 pm by Sludge »

Tregarth

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:34 pm »
A simple question;  Will all the improvements Sludge and Neutrino have been making be integrated into 1 download or will we have to have 2 F-18's in FSX?

Thank you for magnificent work,

Tregarth

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »
Tre...

It will be two downloads.  JR worked hard on this and wants his separate.  Including the default, youll have three different types of F-18s in FSX.  And honestly, JRs HUD Gun Hornet is easier for dogfighting as its got more power available as its just like the default.  If you incorporate the HUD into the Sludge, youll have to do deal with less power available, so youll be fighting with a lesser hand, as most others in the multiplayer still fly with the overpowered default.

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »
Tre...

It will be two downloads.  JR worked hard on this and wants his separate.  Including the default, youll have three different types of F-18s in FSX.  And honestly, JRs HUD Gun Hornet is easier for dogfighting as its got more power available as its just like the default.  If you incorporate the HUD into the Sludge, youll have to do deal with less power available, so youll be fighting with a lesser hand, as most others in the multiplayer still fly with the overpowered default.

Later
Sludge

Yeah, and putting the HUD into the Sludge is way different from any other HUDs previously put in.

Razgriz

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »
P.S. Before anyone starts modding the HUD and putting it into the Sludge Hornet v1.1, the v1.2 will be released very soon, so wait for that release.  It will include various improvements, mainly visuals.

Tregarth

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 11:18:11 pm »

Sludge and JR,

Thanks.  So now we know; I'll "possess my soul in patience" and await the v1.2.

"Oh Lord, please give me patience, and give it to me now."

Thank you,

Tregarth

Orion

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:42 am »
Tregarth: Er, that was Sludge and Duncan.

On a different note, have you received my PM, JR?

neutrino

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »
Tregarth: Er, that was Sludge and Duncan.

On a different note, have you received my PM, JR?

I am sorry, I was really busy writing that manual. Hopefully it will be ready today and I will send it to everyone so that they have a proper base to evaluate the A/A guns mode. It's ten pages so far.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:04:15 pm by neutrino »