Author Topic: My 3D Surround Hornet set-up  (Read 7965 times)

slipstream

My 3D Surround Hornet set-up
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:43:43 am »
Nothing short of amazing. 5.1 surround sound and a new digital Amp Butt kicker.

http://i25.tinypic.com/155tb47.jpg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:05:41 am by virtuali »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: My 3D Surround Hornet set-up
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:56 am »
Is that in 3D ::)?
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

slipstream

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
Yes my friend, hence the double vision blurred imagery from the monitors.  8)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »
 ;D AMAZING!
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

crim3

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:14:53 am »
Finally a fellow stereoscoper  :D
Impressive setup.

slipstream

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:19:31 pm »
Thanks, are there still 2D pilots out there? I have just ordered a triple monitor stand and a cockpit seat which has fixtures for the joystick and throttle.

crim3

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:00:52 am »
Thanks, are there still 2D pilots out there? I have just ordered a triple monitor stand and a cockpit seat which has fixtures for the joystick and throttle.
I cut out the armrests of my computer chair and attached two stands at either side for the throttle and the stick to imitated the F-16 style. One of the best things I have ever done. Very different from the classic position with the throttle and the stick on the desktop.
I was going to post some pictures on the other thread, but everything looks so clumsy and dirty that I decided not to do it.

Have you ever tried a fighter with collimated HUD like the AS F-16 in 3D? It looks amazing. I hope it ever gets done on the F-18.

slipstream

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:28:24 am »
Have you ever tried a fighter with collimated HUD like the AS F-16 in 3D? It looks amazing. I hope it ever gets done on the F-18?

Hi there crim. Could you explain what is meant by a collimated HUD? The F/A18 HUD renders in 3D, so i'm not sure of the difference.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:33:18 pm by virtuali »

crim3

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:01:00 am »
As we have two eyes, two different images reach the brain and we see everything doubled except the object we have the focus on, because the eyeballs converge until the two images of the object overlap.

Despite of this, the image of a real HUD must be readable as you are looking at the world outside the cockpit. To achieve that the image is projected as it were placed several meters away from the pilot. This is called light collimation. What happens this way is that the convergence of the eyes while looking at the outside world and while looking at the HUD are the same (well, to be more exact, the eyes are parallel because the outside world objects are far away from the viewer while flying).

In a computer simulator everything is placed over the surface of the display, you don't have to change the convergence of your eyes to look at objects at different distances. It's all in flat 2D.

But, with a 3D display, you are facing the same problem with the HUD than in real life, and when you look at the HUD the world is doubled or, in reverse, when you look at the world the HUD is doubled and this is because the HUD image is very near of your face, just at the HUD glass. The result is that, apart of the difficulty to read flight data, symbols like the velocity vector or target box are not over the corresponding object even if the developer took care of making the HUD simbology conformal with the outside world.
For example, when you look at the runway threshold in a landing you see two velocity vectors at each side of the runway.

To avoid this the HUD in a simulator must be placed several meters away. In the AS F-16 it's placed a bit farther away of the tip of the nose. That creates the fake collimation effect that, when I saw it in 3D for the first time, shocked me because of the realism feel. I couldn't stop thinking "so that's how it would look like to be in front of a real HUD".
They made it this way to more easily keep conformality with the outside world when the user leans his head left/right etc thanks to TrakIR, but unconsciously they create a HUD that looks gorgeous in 3D.
In the middle of my 3D ecstasy, I rushed to the aerosoft forum to make a post to thanks them for that, but passed away unnoticed.

I feel like a spammer when I recreate with so much detail on topics like this, but I love to talk about stereoscopic graphics and force feedback because they add so much to my simulation experience that I want everybody to know about them.

Airhogg

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:01:54 pm »
Hey Slipstream,
Are you using Nvidia 3D Vision Surround and also is that a single view window or 3 separate view windows per screen?  I'm curious how 3D would appear using 3 different open view windows.  This would offer more field of view, but it would create 3 separate 3D images instead of a single 3D image across 3 monitors.  Understand???   ???