Author Topic: F/A-18 Brakes part 2  (Read 19112 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
F/A-18 Brakes part 2
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »
i made this video to prove that the brakes have to be fixed. im also sending it to microsoft, just posted here to see what other people have to say about it, so if you disagree and don't think they're bugged, post here and i'll prove that you're wrong :D

ps.: i put the other airplanes to prove that its not a problem with my rudder control.
ps2.: does anybody knows the microsoft website to report bugs?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: F/A-18 Brakes part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:56:31 pm »
Well, this user made a video making a successful landing:

deltaleader

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:46:27 am »
the dude in the video was tapping his break to keep control.  I believe there is a problem with the brakes as I see people spin out all the time.  That may be because of over aggressively braking or a configuration problem.  In may case, I am having a hard time configuring the x52 pro flight controller and pro pedals to work together consistently.  When I use my pedal brakes the plane brakes however when I release, they stay engaged.  Also, on the initial application of braking with the pedals, (hitting just the left or the right) it goes in the opposite direction it should...really weird.  But after I do that once, then both brakes will correct the plan in the right direction, ie right brake turns plan right.
ex-Private Pilot, life long Flight Simmer...can't really tell you about my other hobbies...

SUBS17

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:02:16 am »
Thats because FS guys are doing it all wrong ;), heres how its done 1st thing do not use the brake initially because IRL if you if you try to use the brake like you guys are doing you will:
1/ over heat the brakes and lose brakes altogether
2/ run off the end of the runway
3/ piss off your crew chief.
So on touch down 1st keep the nose up by pulling gently back on the stick, open the airbrakes and bleed the speed off. When the nose comes down then apply brakes and slow down and stop. I notice fael that you are using parking brakes as well another bad idea. You have to use the toe brakes as the park brake in some aircraft may not allow the ABS or anti skid system to kick in. BTW in a car if you lock up your wheels you can also spin out the way you did with the Hornet in that video. Park brakes are for parking toe brakes/airbrakes and aerobraking is for stopping.

SUBS17

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:09:04 am »

Thats how its supposed to be done.

micro

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:28:21 am »
Thats because FS guys are doing it all wrong ;), heres how its done 1st thing do not use the brake initially because IRL if you if you try to use the brake like you guys are doing you will:
1/ over heat the brakes and lose brakes altogether
2/ run off the end of the runway
3/ piss off your crew chief.
So on touch down 1st keep the nose up by pulling gently back on the stick, open the airbrakes and bleed the speed off. When the nose comes down then apply brakes and slow down and stop. I notice fael that you are using parking brakes as well another bad idea. You have to use the toe brakes as the park brake in some aircraft may not allow the ABS or anti skid system to kick in. BTW in a car if you lock up your wheels you can also spin out the way you did with the Hornet in that video. Park brakes are for parking toe brakes/airbrakes and aerobraking is for stopping.

You got it. I knew a guy who's callsign was "Torch" because he stomped on the brakes a little too hard one time and the brakes caught on fire. There's no hurry to stop when you've got 10,000ft in front of you.

Wolf_Rider

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:39:47 am »
Is the Anti-Skid function is being set prior to landing?
"No matter what age we are, we've never quite left the schoolyard"

WilliamCall

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:02:04 am »
fael,
     I don't have these problems when I do shore based landings.  As soon as the main gear touch down, I chop the throttle to idle, the nose gear will touch down in less than a second, and when I am in a three point attitude, I stand on the brakes (yea, I know, wrong technique, but it's a simulation).  I suggest you check your aircraft.cfg file.  In the [contacts] section, make sure the brakes are mapped to the left and right landing gear.  The nose gear mapping should be zero.  I also have the following parameters defined in the [brakes] section:

toe_brakes_scale = 0.9
differential_braking_scale = 1
hydraulic_system_scalar = 1
auto_brakes = 0

Hope this helps.

SUBS17

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:42:27 am »
Is the Anti-Skid function is being set prior to landing?

Its automatic and should already be set I don't think you should have to mess with it unless you have a problem with hydralic pressure or something.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:32 am »
i'll say that again.
im not stupid, its obvious that im not doing what is supposed to be done, its obvious that you dont just pull the parking brakes to slow down, im doing that for testing sake.
i did that with all the airplanes in this game, and im showing 4 of them on this video, theres not a single one reacting something like the f-18.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 05:27:02 am »
Quote from: virtuali

roflmao
did you really watch the video?
2:06 he slides to his right(hes sliding, not purpose turning cuz the airplane landing gear is static), and then he tried to correct turning the rudder to the left.
thats what happens when you tap the brake. you can make it look smooth but you'll eventually lose control. you just proved that it's not working as it should, will you please assume that?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:02:49 am by virtuali »

Scoutdriver

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:49:58 am »
After reading through this topic I found this video on youtube. Appears to be a textbook hornet landing.

SUBS17

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 12:01:48 am »
Quote from: virtuali

roflmao
did you really watch the video?
2:06 he slides to his right(hes sliding, not purpose turning cuz the airplane landing gear is static), and then he tried to correct turning the rudder to the left.
thats what happens when you tap the brake. you can make it look smooth but you'll eventually lose control. you just proved that it's not working as it should, will you please assume that?

He did not slide to the right the right turn is delberate, in order to turn aircraft around on runways the pilot turns to the opposite direction to allow a tighter turn IRL(it even says this in the FSX tutorial for PPL) you need this for the smaller runways. The good thing about this though is now we can lock one wheel using the differential brakes which allows tight turns that are required on the carrier to move up to the cat. BTW the video the aircrafts full run upto taxi speed was perfectly straight. Also remember you are not yet carrying external stores which makes landings much longer.

irakviper

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:50 am »
This problem can be fixed by modifying air-file. You can use AirEd (freeware program) to open FA-18.air -file, under "1101 Primary Aerodynamics" find value "*Cn_r Yaw Moment - Yaw Rate (Damping)=-2000", change that value to -12000

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 06:33:08 pm »
This problem can be fixed by modifying air-file. You can use AirEd (freeware program) to open FA-18.air -file, under "1101 Primary Aerodynamics" find value "*Cn_r Yaw Moment - Yaw Rate (Damping)=-2000", change that value to -12000

i've been looking for some entry in the .air file to fix this problem before, but i couldnt find it.

i tried to modify the yaw rate damping to -12000 as you said, but it didnt fix 90% of the problem and it changed the aircraft behaviour in the air

and also, there are aircrafts with the same yaw rate working perfectly, so it has to be another entry, but im sure it can be fixed by just changing something like you suggested

thanks for the help