Author Topic: F/A-18 Brakes part 2  (Read 18981 times)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Re: F/A-18 Brakes part 2
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:38 pm »
These problems are related to the Realism Settings you run with.

1) If you are playing at Low Realism Settings you will get this 360 degree spinning behaviour after a few seconds when you apply full brakes.

2) If you are playing at High Realism Settings your plane will not exhibit this spinning problem. At worst she'll be a little twitchy (and if you're cack-handed with it, she'll tip - just like in the real world I guess).  ;)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:42:12 am by Voodoo »
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

dev

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:45:31 pm »
I was reading both the threads on the Landing gear and breaking problems.  First of all theres nothing wrong with the aircraft you just have to know how to stop it properly. So say you come in at 130 knots... just land turn on the airbrakes/spoilers,  THEN make sure you push forward on the joystick and start tapping on the brakes you need the downforce here.    I wait for 60-80knots before applying them harder.  In fact on airliners they don't apply the brakes untill they are at 80 knots anyways.  Just remember both the engines and brakes are overpowered for a reason, just like you don't use full thrust you shouldn't be using full brakes.   With respect to the landing gear issue if you note the picture in the thread the Joystick is actually pushed forward in that image thats why the plane seems lower to the ground, comparing it with a Parked aircraft is just silly....

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:47:34 pm by dev »

Cabanaboy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:59 pm »
I'm guessing most of you who are having this ground loop problem have never taken flight lessons before, which is fine (and I recommend you get out there and do it it's a blast:P), but let me just throw my two cents in:

1)  There is no rule at any airport, anywhere, that you have to exit the first taxiway.  There isn't any reason to be braking that early when you have plenty of runway in front of you. 

2)  The F18 is a much smaller aircraft than say, a 747.  It is light enough that it will naturally slow down fairly quickly with aerodynamic braking/air brakes.  Big jets need all that sweet reverse thrust/extra braking because it's like trying to stop a freight train. 

3)  Your landings should be dead centerline, straight down the runway, every time.  That eliminates problems.  If you happen to be off a little bit, don't be in a rush to get back to the centerline.  Using rudder at 80 knots is like jerking your steering wheel on the highway.  Also, plane going in one direction + wheels facing a different direction = bad juju/repair bill when you touchdown.  Keep it facing down the runway or you'll run into problems.  A good way to make better landings is to practice slips.  When I come in for a landing and I'm off center, my CFI won't let me touch down until I've slipped into the correct spot.  Handy for crosswind landings as well.   

4)  If you ever land and immediately hit the brakes, or god forbid hit the parking brake (shudder), prepare to get punched in the face by your flight instructor.  He's going to be upset that you just ruined his brakes, and you might be about to kill him in a bad ground loop.  The correct landing procedure is to come in, flare, and when your wheels touch HOLD THE NOSE UP.  Then you can gently ease it down (don't try to hold it up forever, eventually you'll run out of speed and you may drop down on the nose wheel hard.)  By this point you should be able to start gentle braking without any problems. 

Now I know Cherokee Warriors land waaayyy slower than an F18, but when I land at KCLL IRL I'm able to not do any braking at all until I'm actually taking the first exit ramp.  If you're landing your F18 at the correct speed in the correct configuration, you really shouldn't have to do much braking until you're ready to exit either.  I know much of this problem has been attributed to the realism settings, but if you set yourself up for a proper landing and pull it off correctly you shouldn't have any problems :)  Cheers 

crim3

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:16 pm »
and don't push the brakes all the way down. That's another thing instructors don't like at all. Though that's easier in real life where you can feel all everything, and furthermore, you need joystick axis assigned to brakes.

sirdavis

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 04:39:22 am »
That brake fix worked perfectly. contacts was set at 2 for right. 1 is for Left. I set it at zero which seems to set it for both. Thanks much!

burner12

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:12 am »
I downloaded the brake fix and it still spun out of control when i touched down. But the way to do it is to use the Angle of Attack indicator on the side of the HUD. If you come in at the right speed then it won't spin out of control. Just think you are doing a carrier landing, and you'll be fine.

shylock

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 10:04:40 pm »
I like how people post things on forums. They will post demonstrating something. For instance. Posting videos saying that when you apply breaks your plane spins out. Then in the video it shows you applying the parking break. You posted asking for help and people respond with "your applying the parking breaks thats why its spinning out" then the reply to that is something along the lines of saying" I did that to show how other planes dont do it" Lol

Learn to land at the correct speed and use your breaks under 70-80 knots and use the entire runway. Apply the breaks gently. Asking for fixes to things that arent broken is kind of dumbing down sim flying. Just saying

Please note im not mocking you or making fun of you. Just pointing out how pleanty of people post videos contridicting themselves and coming off as rude.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:28:55 am by shylock »

Razgriz

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 11:55:12 pm »
I like how people post things on forums. They will post demonstrating something. For instance. Posting videos saying that when you apply breaks your plane spins out. Then in the video it shows you applying the parking break. You posted asking for help and people respond with "your applying the parking breaks thats why its spinning out" then the reply to that is something along the lines of saying" I did that to show how other planes dont do it" Lol

Learn to land at the correct speed and use your breaks under 70-80 knots and use the entire runway. Apply the breaks gently. Asking for fixes to things that arent broken is kind of dumbing down sim flying. Just saying

I agree, its like going into an airliner and saying GIVE ME A HUD!

USMCBEANS

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 12:06:09 am »

I agree, its like going into an airliner and saying GIVE ME A HUD!

We acutally offer the HUD as an option on the 737NG and it will be standard on our new 787.  But back on topic, I set my general setting all the way to the right and I don't get any spins anymore.