Author Topic: Coupling TCN stations to automatic pilot  (Read 7996 times)

chupaflier

Coupling TCN stations to automatic pilot
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:17 am »
I was flying from Puerto Rico to Prince Juliana(PJM) which has a VOR @ freq 113.00 with the intention to land on 09 runway. I dialed my VOR into the TCN and got my indicators in the HUD as shown in PJM_HUD.JPG. I then proceded to couple my automatic pilot to head towards the VOR on the field at PJM as shown in PJM_HSI.JPG. The automatic pilot was engaged but the plain never flew towards the VOR? If I couple the a TCN station shouldn't the automatic pilot flight towards it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coupling TCN stations to automatic pilot
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:39:27 pm »
The VOR coupling will never simply fly towards a station! It's not a "Direct-To-VOR" kind of function...

The VOR coupling will take into account the desired course that has been selected with the CRS switch, and indicated as CSEL in the MFD, and will try to keep that course to station.

Note: the A/P will not automatically made an intercept to the desired course so, you should first put your airplane on an intercept heading, and then activate VOR coupling with the desired CRS set.

chupaflier

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
So...that means that VOR coupling will do radial navigation towards a certain station? Say I am flying towards a certain VOR and want to "ride" its 180 radial. All I need to do then is dial the VOR frequency on my TCN, dial 180 on my course selection then press CSEL on my HSI and engage A/P?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:04:40 pm »
Basically, yes. It's not really different from the basic Learjet or Cessna FSX autopilot, just the naming is different, but the behavior is the same.

chupaflier

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:01:45 am »
I'm having some problems making that happen! If you look at PJM_HSI.JPG you'll notice that the TCN station is properly dialed in and towards the left of the shot you can make out that the A/P is on and that CPL is engaged, yet if you look at PJM_HUD.JPG you will see that the caret comes up on the HUD indicating the direction in which the VOR is at but still the A/P wont steer the plane towards it.  ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:44:50 pm »
Try to activate CSEL (press the CSEL soft key on the HSI page), that will show more clearly the selected course on the HSI.

chupaflier

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08:20 pm »
So ... you mean to say that in that same configuration shown on the screenshots the only thing missing for my A/P to steer the plane towards the VOR in pressing the CSEL softbutton? Or do I still have to fly manually to intercept the course and only then engage A/P so that it can follow it?
It sounds simple when you explain it, I am just not having luck doing it  :-\

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:31 pm »
I said you should engage CSEL just to help your situational awareness.

The A/P should work the same, it's just that you will probably find it easier to at least put the airplane on an intercept heading with the desired radial first, and only then engage the A/P. If you are flying *away* from the course, the A/P will not try to reach it.

Anyway, this is the standard FSX A/P behavior: we haven't coded anything special on top of it, when you are in TCN CPL, it's just the same as if you were in NAV1 lock with the Cessna.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:03:46 am by virtuali »

chupaflier

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:06:31 am »
ok, I see what you mean now .. part of the reason for me not understanding is that you keep referring to he Cessna ... and ... the F-18 is the only plane I've flown  :-[
But I get it now.