Author Topic: HOTAS Cougar  (Read 7266 times)

slipstream

HOTAS Cougar
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:09:11 am »
Does anyone use this hardware for flying the F18? I am on the cusp of buying one but I need feedback from you guy's first. Thanks in advance.

SUBS17

Re: HOTAS Cougar
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »
I have a Cougar they are quite good to use in FSX but even better in Falcon 4 Allied Forces as the real F-16 Hotas assignments work in F4AF. 8)

ESzczesniak

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »
Be aware that Thrustmaster is soon to release the HOTAS Warthog.  Designed off the A-10C stick, not only is it 10-15 years newer in technology compared to the Cougar, it's also a dual throttle setup more appropriate for the F/A-18.

The Warthog stick is expected to cost $400-500 compared to the $150-200 a Cougar can be found at in stores.  However, many (dare I even say most) have found the pots in the Cougar to be very shaky and wear poorly requiring hardware updgrades that can add another $200-300 to the stick.  The A-10 stick is using hall effect sensors, so it's too early to know if there will be other problems, but it should be immune to the pots problems of the Cougar.

I desperately want to replace my X-52, but am personally holding out for the Warthog stick.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:34:17 pm by ESzczesniak »

SUBS17

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:53:51 am »
Yeah the Warthog is definately a better Hotas, I've had my Cougar for a few years now and it still works ok.

slipstream

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:31:21 am »

Thanks for the heads up on the A10 stick. I have just purchased the Cougar as I can't wait to be honest. I just need someone to give me instructions on mapping the cougar to the Hornet in the best way possible.

SUBS17

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:34:27 pm »
Due to the fact that there is no combat functions I have not bothered in FSX with my Cougar aside Speed brakes switch and trim. Falcon however is another story with TMS and DMS mapped to both hats and using the trim hat for views.

SUBS17

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:05 am »
Heres some info on just how to use the Cougar to its fullest potential.

So with the TMS and DMS setup as per the above pictures the TMS right switches between A/A radar modes, DMS Left and right changes the MFD pages and Uncage allows for the JHCMs to be used in conjunction with the Aim 9X to lock and launch off boresight upto 90 degrees.( very good if you have trakir) All this you can do in Falcon 4 Allied Forces and in fact in Open Falcon you can do even more since OF has a data link in more detail you can use the functions to send TGT data and cursor location between other aircraft in the flight or package. BTW Cougar plus Trakir equals a deadly combination as the DGFT switch is on your TQS puts the radar straight into ACM mode, TMS UP engages Auto Aquisition and from there you just lock and launch.

slipstream

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:35 am »
Thank you very much Subs. I will be flying only in fsx, so I am looking to map as many buttons as possible to normal flying, such as the autopilot controls, speedbrake etc. The less I have to use my mouse the better.

SUBS17

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:39:39 am »
Technically you will not need a mouse if you use a profile. BTW I highly reccomend F4AF or OF to really see what the Block 50 Hotas is all about.