Author Topic: Floating runway lights in fsx airports  (Read 12517 times)

Yoram777

Floating runway lights in fsx airports
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:43:05 am »
Hi.. I seem to have runway lights that "float" above the runway. I dont think its just related to FSDT airports but to FSX in general. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I have attached 2 pics.

Thanks for any help,
                                                    Yoram

SirIsaac726

Re: Floating runway lights in fsx airports
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:00 am »
Reminds me of Ultimate Terrain.  You wouldn't happen to have Ultimate Terrain installed, would you?

Yoram777

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:51:48 am »
Yes I do as a matter of fact :o

SirIsaac726

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »
I'd suggest deactivating Ultimate Terrain and see if it goes away.  If it does, you know there is some sort of conflict with that that is putting the lights over the airports.  If it doesn't, then you'll have to dig deeper.

But to clarify, the floating lights are over the airport, correct?

Yoram777

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:43:50 pm »
I had deactivated UTX and the problem was still there. The lights float above the runway. Also, I had a plane once floating above the threshhold of the runway(where fsx places it when you choose "active runway"). When i taxied foward the plane crashed to the ground and fsx restarted itself. Thanks for your help.

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:43 am »
Hi Yoram,

I'm running just native FSX (Acceleration) and find this problem of lights sitting above ground level at many airports. Far too many to do anything practical about it, I think. Only noticeable when camera viewpoint is very low, so I just try to ignore them.

FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

SirIsaac726

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:56:07 am »
I had deactivated UTX and the problem was still there. The lights float above the runway. Also, I had a plane once floating above the threshhold of the runway(where fsx places it when you choose "active runway"). When i taxied foward the plane crashed to the ground and fsx restarted itself. Thanks for your help.

Honestly, this sounds like some bad AFCAD problems or something.  Based on how many posts you've had saying you had problems, I'd just recommend doing a reinstall and installing add-ons one by one.  That guarantees you will find any problems and hopefully eliminate them.

Yoram777

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:47 am »
Thanks for letting me know that, Voodoo..dont wanna be trying to fix something thats a bug in fsx if its not something I did. No chance of a patch since they closed down the fsx team.

Hi SirIsaac,
    According to Voodoo, he has a simple install of fsx and he sees the floating lights too. So I dont think its an afcad problem. I will try to figure out if there are any duplicates anway..since fsdt has 2 afcad files for the same airport. Thanks  for your help.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:42:23 am by Yoram777 »

SirIsaac726

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:13 am »
Thanks for letting me know that, Voodoo..dont wanna be trying to fix something thats a bug in fsx if its not something I did. No chance of a patch since they closed down the fsx team.

Hi SirIsaac,
    According to Voodoo, he has a simple install of fsx and he sees the floating lights too. So I dont think its an afcad problem. I will try to figure out if there are any duplicates anway..since fsdt has 2 afcad files for the same airport. Thanks  for your help.

Something tells me that his problem isn't the same as yours though.  That is why I suggested what I did. ;)

skimmer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
yoram, you will find this even if you uninstall all addons and your fsx. I had the same thing and found it was still there after complete uninstall and reinstalling just fsx.I used this and also a modification that is for wide screens but I cant find that right now. I will keep looking cause it minimized it a great deal. It will not take it away completly but you notice an improvment. Even now you will not find these floating lights at every airport. I remember working with Voodoo on this maybe he remembers where that mod is for wide screen. Also google FSX runway lights and there are topics there that can help. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:08:54 am by skimmer »

Yoram777

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:22:00 pm »
Hi Skimmer....Thanks for your reply. I really didnt want to reinstall fsx and all the addons..I have alot of them. I dont use a widescreen monitor. Seems everything microsoft makes is buggy and bloated..even fsx. Ok..I will try to find the mod u mention..Thanks again :).