Author Topic: How about to create retired Airports?  (Read 39 times)

breenild

How about to create retired Airports?
« on: Today at 05:52:12 pm »
It's really sad  that there already exist two, three or even four payware sceneries for the same airport.
The best example is Barcelona LEBL. The developers put so many effort and love in it, and then only few buy it  because there are already existing other sceneries.

Nowadays it's quite difficult to find high rated active airports to create, which weren't already published.

Here my idea:
How about to create and publish very interesting retired airports, like
  • Berlin Tempelhof
  • Munich Riem
  • Athens (old) LGAT
  • Quito (old) SEQU

These are only examples and I'm sure there are even more.
And I would really LOVE fly there. Even they do not exist anymore in reality.
I mean the developers conserve old airplanes, which do not fly anymore, why not also conserve beautiful and interesting old airports?

But they need to get developed nicely and almost realistic, with it's runways and the approach procedures of it's time.
I mean with working historic ILS, VOR, NDB.
And it should be possible to activate their historic arrival and approach procedures in the airliners FMC.
I know, sometimes you have to remove buildings, which where built there. But i think, it's worth it!

That would be really awesome and i would buy them instantly for sure.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:59:40 pm by breenild »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: How about to create retired Airports?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:47:19 pm »
You asked a question, but literally in the next paragraph answered your own question as to why that would be a challenge. With current airports, one could go to the airport and take pictures of it to make it as accurate as possible. You can't really do that with an airport that doesn't exist anymore, so you have to rely on pictures that you can find on the Internet. ILS, VOR, and NDB, if you can find the charts for the airport to make this accurate, sure. But if you can't, what do you do then. Navigraph charts won't help here since it only has charts for current airports. As for the FMC, the problem is every developer has their own way of setting up the navigation data for the FMC, so how would you do that. And even then, an updated AIRAC cycle might wipe everything out anyway.
Captain Kevin