Author Topic: [SOLVED] Couatl64_msfs.exe is corrupted and unreadable  (Read 2467 times)

asegm08

• Follow my aviation blog!
Re: [SOLVED] Couatl64_msfs.exe is corrupted and unreadable
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2024, 09:19:42 pm »
 Same here. Here is a picture where it shows the update link being blocked.

http://www.youtube.com/c/AlcidesSegovia

http://instagram.com/dominican.pilot

Alcides Segovia
Lancaster,PA USA
PPL, IFR Rating Student

karspilot

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2024, 08:24:17 pm »
After last update, same issue. The thing is, I don't use an antivirus at all, so what's the reason then?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2024, 08:57:42 pm »
After last update, same issue. The thing is, I don't use an antivirus at all, so what's the reason then?
If you're running Windows 10 or 11, you have the default Windows anti-virus.
Captain Kevin

thomaj019

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2024, 11:23:39 pm »
I have same problem despite exclusions added for Addon Manager folder in both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes which I run.

I have tried de-installing and re-installing as well as a check etc within FSDT Installer and still unable to execute the Coualt64_Msfs.exe (corrupt and unreadable)

Robby400D

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2024, 04:07:39 pm »
I have the same issue, my logfile looks the same

pchitkara

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2024, 05:31:06 pm »
Nothing like this happens.

The only possible explanation, because we updated the .exe, a defective antivirus has corrupted trying to heal it from a non existent threat, which mistakenly detected because it assumed "it's new, it might be dangerous", because some buggy antivirus trust their flawed heuristics more than our proper Digital Signature, which is used precisely to help antivirus not catch false positives.

The usual:

- Configure the antivirus to add the whole "Addon Manager" folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS

- Run the FSDT Live Update again.

Happened again after the latest update even when I excluded entire Addon Manager folder from any kind of virus scan. This is second time in a row now. Running the FSDT Live Update any number of times doesnt help.

UPDATE: Check if the Couatl64_MSFS.exe is 1 Kb - in my case the routers firewall blocked it. It never used to earlier but since last update 3.1.7, it has started interpreting the site as a malecious site.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 07:51:08 pm by pchitkara »

snapshot21

« Reply #36 on: Today at 12:43:51 pm »
TPLink's Malicious Content Filter is also blocking the update.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #37 on: Today at 01:05:35 pm »
My router's firewall is not enabled. And anyway, this would not explain why GSX was installed and worked fine prior to V3.1.5.

Everything can be explained. APART for the firewall, some routers also have an antivirus, which can have exactly the same defects and flawed heuristic as the PC-based ones and PRECISELY because the flawed heuristic ( correct and NOT "arrogant" explanation ), they blocked a NEW .exe just because it was new.

As soon an user reported this, providing with evidence of what really happened (the router blocked the download), we could identify the software used by the router, which was provided by Trend Micro so, we filed a complaint to Trend Micro, who immediately reclassified the Couatl .exe as SAFE.

Clearly, if the problem is really the router antivirus, but your router doesn't use Trend Micro but something else instead, having some kind of report about it would have been useful, to file a similar complain to a different antivirus vendor.

A way to suspect the router is the culprit, is checking the Couatl64_MSFS.EXE filesize, which is normally about 8MB. If it's much smaller, it's very likely a text or html file coming from the router, with a report of what it removed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:23:49 pm »
TPLink's Malicious Content Filter is also blocking the update.

Could you please provide with some router log (or the corrupted .exe ZIPPED) to confirm which software it uses ? Because, it seems some TpLink routers also use Trend Micro so, according to Trend Micro, the Couatl .exe is now Safe so, either the router is blocking something else, or that particular model uses another antivirus.