Author Topic: Modding the "realistic" G-force tolerance  (Read 7513 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Modding the "realistic" G-force tolerance
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:42:17 am »
Virtuali...

Is there a way to change the G-force tolerance to something more realistic?  With that setting checked in realism, if I hold more than 5 or more Gs, I black out... would be nice if we could mod that value to something better, say 9 Gs for 5 secs?  Or something thereabouts?  Or is that hard-coded into FSX?

Later
Sludge

Orion

Re: Modding the "realistic" G-force tolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:43 am »
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure it's something set into FS.  At least I haven't heard of or come across any mentions of changing the realism G tolerance settings.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
Virtuali...

Is there a way to change the G-force tolerance to something more realistic?  With that setting checked in realism, if I hold more than 5 or more Gs, I black out... would be nice if we could mod that value to something better, say 9 Gs for 5 secs?  Or something thereabouts?  Or is that hard-coded into FSX?

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

In real life, 'G-tolerance' is quite dependent on the 'pilot physique', his general fitness and if at all he has had 'anti-g' training.

Having said that, even in a generic sense, I think the black out/red out in FSX are quite closely replicated. There have been sorties where I have experienced black outs at even 3g, when it was repeatedly applied in quick succession (in combat). And then there have been days, when I have been able to hold myself even at 5g for about 4 seconds (and this is real life).
But, withstanding 9g for 5 seconds would be like training for a 'space programme' and not fighter flying.
But, that's just me.

Razgriz

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »
Which airplane do you fly?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »
Mickey...

I personally dont think its realistic flying military jets and blacking out at only 5 Gs.  Thats highly unlikely for any military pilot to get that far in the pipeline, as I know they also go thru centrifuge training once they get to the Hornet RAG (replacement air group) and work on building G tolerance.  Even before that, they regularly pulled 4 Gs in the T-34C (primary trainer), or 7 Gs in the T-45C (advanced strike pipeline trainer).  I mean, I pulled snap 4 Gs, held for 7 secs, and never blacked out in the T-34C.  When you talk about "combat" what were you talking about?  Were you ex-airforce or navy?

The main point is that I wanted to know if FSX is moddable in this manner so if you (Mickey) want to keep 5 Gs, you can, but if I want 7-9 Gs, all I have to do is set a parameter somewhere and its done.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:35:08 pm by Sludge »

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »

The main point is that I wanted to know if FSX is moddable in this manner so if you (Mickey) want to keep 5 Gs, you can, but if I want 7-9 Gs, all I have to do is set a parameter somewhere and its done.

Point taken Sludge.
In any case, my comments weren't a 'critique'.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »
Oh, but I did forget to mention that 'G-tolerance' is also dependent upon two other factors; Rate of onset of G, and duration of application of G. Absolute value of G is less of an issue.

But, I am sure you know that. I was just making the post complete, lol.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:15 am »
Mickey...

Oh no problem...  was only pointing those things out, as I know Ive done 4 Gs in snap breaks in succession and was only bringing that up as reason I'd like to mod FSX for multiple types of G tolerances.  But this question is becoming moot as Virtuali hasnt responded which probly means it cant be done.  Oh well, I can live it with off... so it was a shot-in-the-dark request for those of us that like some realism without it being too touchy.

Remember the ol' auto-flaps problem in the default Hornet?  Kinda the same thing.  We had to settle for the "manual flaps" workaround to get the Hornet on a realistic approach speed and attitude, since we dont have the gobbs of programmer knowledge needed to alter the auto-flaps logic.  Hell, I'd change it in all FSX to Hornet-specific logic, cause I ONLY FLY the Sludge Hornet in FSX anymore.

Later
Sludge