Author Topic: updater problem  (Read 290 times)

atr_42_500

updater problem
« on: July 01, 2024, 05:24:44 pm »
Hello
I run Couatl_Updater2, then I get the massage "All your installed proucts have been updated to their lastest version".
But if I run the updater again immediately, it starts all over again. Also, it starts the update automatically when I run the updater. Shouldn't it show the version?

Is this a sign that someting corrupted?
Thanks
Mircea

« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 06:24:06 pm by atr_42_500 »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: updater problem
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 11:51:56 pm »
Mircea, you want to run Couatl_Updater rather than Couatl_Updater 2 because Couatl_Updater will check first to see that Couatl_Updater2 is up to date, and once it does that, it'll run the update. If you run Couatl_Updater 2, it might not actually be up to date. That being said, when you run an update, it'll check the files to see if anything needs to be updated, and it'll update files accordingly. If you're up to date, it just won't update any files.
Captain Kevin

atr_42_500

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 09:27:20 am »
Thank you, Captain Kevin!
I will use Couatl_Updater form now.

If you're up to date, it just won't update any files.

On this particular thing: when I used to run the updater again immediately after an update, GSX still changed files. As a concrete example, and the only one I know about: I have created muted sound files for some GSX sounds I don't want to be played (like PSY dance when making a good parking). Despite using the exact name for these sounds files as the originals, GSX still changes them.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 04:21:17 pm »
Yes, that's because when you changed those files, it no longer matched what the updater sees as being up to date. There's two ways you can solve this one. First, you can have those files saved somewhere else, so when you run the update, you can copy them back in. Your second option is to create a blank file in the folder where those sounds are and call it "dontupdate". The updater won't check that folder. I prefer the first option because as GSX gets updated, sound files can always be added in, so doing the second option runs the risk that if new features get added in that adds more sound files for something, you won't have them.
Captain Kevin

atr_42_500

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 08:58:18 am »
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I save the files, just have to put them back after updates.
Cheers.
Mircea