Author Topic: USN Carrier Pattern Video  (Read 52450 times)

Orion

Re: USN Carrier Pattern Video
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11:41 pm »
Wait, it's not going to be a public test for anyone to grab?

Razgriz

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »
It will be released.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:05 pm »
fsxnp, Great WIP. An equal addon to the NEW HUD with needles IMHO.  ;D

I'm guessing you will add the LOW red cells? [Oops on second viewing I saw the red cells - nice.]

Good to see the transparency now. In order to take up less screen real estate would it be viable to NOT have so many datum lights? Because we can see the IFLOLS clearly then so many are not necessary IMHO.

The 'fsxnp IFLOLS' will make a major difference to carrier landings in FSX now IMHO. Great work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:49:58 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 02:24:51 am »
MR fsxnp ... ;D ...just kidding

Fsxnp...nice work!!! that new ball is the heat cant wait to try it out... like Sludge says a round ball would be preferable if anyone is asking
however NO pressure... I realise you must have put a lot of hours into this to get it this far already.
I do have two other requests though,  first is it possible to make the gauge undockable so that it could be moved to the other screen for
those people running more than one screen and secondly is it possible to make the gauge slightly smaller so that it doesnt take up as much
space on the screen but is still big enough to see the individual ball positions.
Thanks again for all your hard work , if you need another beta tester I would be only too happy to help out where I can.

Sonofabeech out
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2010, 10:44:47 am »
Thanks, guys!
I don't have dual monitors setup so can say nothing about moving gauges around screens. But this gauge can be easily resized to fit any size, just edit some params in the panel.cfg file. BTW, actual size of the gauge is 620x220  :)

Here are some samples of the gauge appearance. The samples loosely follow the original IFLOLS - removed some datum lights, some cut lights and some waveoff lights.
Now, which one would you prefer?  8)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
Cut lights may come in handy in some circumstances (zip lip - no radio) however as a minimal gauge I reckon no.4 is a good start with even fewer datum lights - say 4 only either side? Because the gauge remains the same size it is easily seen all the time. If the overall size is made smaller then that becomes an individual preference. I think it is useful no matter what is decided. Good to know the gauge can be resized to suit. Good work.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:32 am »
Right now cut lights are used only to signal 'call the ball' distance (.8 nm as Sludge sugquested).

SpazSinbad

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2010, 11:17:21 am »
fsxnp, so the 'cut lights' come in handy enough to be retained, that is my impression from what you have said now.

Tregarth

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2010, 11:44:21 am »
FSXNP,

You are the man, no doubt about that.

A comment if I may:  I have a TripleHead2Go set up on my FS PC.  I use the left and right monitors for sightseeing and deciding when to turn when in the circuit and it is good.  However, when I am on finals, it is all I can do to move my eyes from the HUD on the centre of the middle screen, let alone onto another screen.  So, for what it is worth, if you made the FLOLS undockable mine will be about 1 maybe 2 pixels to the left of the HUD.

Brilliant work,

Tregarth

GOONIE

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »
FSXNP! Nice work bro  8)!!!

Looking forward to flying with the new IFLOLS you made. My preference is #2 or #3 with the reduced datum lights but still a decent amount of W/O and Cut lights to get your attention  :o.

Thanks!
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »
Looks nice :).

I'm with capthaltli, I like the look of 2 or 3.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
Hey Fellas....

Glad to be back from Hawaii, even tho Im burnt to a crisp from playing too much golf, it was a great time.  Even met a F-18 and KC-135 pilot that we were paired with on Monday's round.  Traded some LSO grades of Hawaiian Airlines and Falcon Jets as we were on the back nine and they were landing on 8R.  He was pretty impressed with ol' Sludge's grades, so coming from a RL LSO, that was cool.  Made the course play alot more fun.

Anyway, if I get a vote here, I would say #3 w/2 cut lights on each side.  I like the full lights w/the shortened datum light assy.

Also, Serge... looking at CV and LSO NATOPS, I would say do a 3-second steady cut lights at .7 NM, split the difference of .6 and .8 NM.  Additionally, if you can add this... if aircraft is trending low and gets 2 balls low, give steady 1-second cut lights (add a little power).  At 4 balls low, steady 2-sec cut lights (POWER!!).  After that, if he gets to the last red ball, he gets the dreaded red waveoff lights.  Looking to be another great add-on from FSXNP Inc.

Thanks
Sludge

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:58:35 am by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2010, 10:07:20 am »
Sludge,
welcome back!  ;D Ok, I'll see what can I do with the IFLOLS gauge...

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2010, 07:04:11 pm »
Fellas...

Just made a few youtube videos showing the IFLOLS gauge in the middle of the VC screen.  This was the best way I found to use the gauge and obviously these are not my best landings.

Enjoy.

Establishing on the downwind, the Abeam position, then the turn.

Short final test (.4), using the IFLOLS gauge in the center of the VC.

Overshot the turn and had to work back to centerline and get on glideslope.

A little too tight on the final bearing turn.  Had to work back to the right, then get on glideslope.

Might work for some, but overall, its difficult to focus on the lineup and then refocus on the Ball.  I used mostly a "peripheral" technique and only looking at the Ball in my lower peripheral vision while flying lineup and indexer on the way down.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:10:27 pm by Sludge »

slipstream

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »
Why have the videos been removed?