Author Topic: Uncheck Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution  (Read 120 times)

JetMech383

Uncheck Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
« on: May 30, 2024, 09:20:41 pm »
Hello!

Recently when I initially start MSFS from Steam, during the loading process, the screen resolution changes to 640 x 480 (see picture). I have to go to windowed mode in order to change it back to 1920 x 1080. A friend said to check your running programs and see if one is running in 640 x 480 and sure enough the Couatl_boot.exe file is. I unlinked GSX from my community folder and the sim loads fine. No changes in resolution. In the properties for Couatl_boot.exe, the check box for 'Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution is grayed out. Is there a way to get that unchecked so I can used GSX again?

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Uncheck Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 10:38:00 pm »
We don't install or set any specific compatibility settings for that file, and on my system, the 640x480 is NOT checked ( as normal ), and I also can't change it.

No idea why it can't be changed, but clearly being locked to 640x480 is not right, even if the doesn't even have a screen, so it shouldn't even matter.

In any case, sometimes Windows set wrong compatibility flags by itself, so try checking these two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And if you see aline referencing it ( we haven't set it, that's for sure ), remove it from both keys AND REBOOT.

JetMech383

Re: Uncheck Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 02:13:01 pm »
We don't install or set any specific compatibility settings for that file, and on my system, the 640x480 is NOT checked ( as normal ), and I also can't change it.

No idea why it can't be changed, but clearly being locked to 640x480 is not right, even if the doesn't even have a screen, so it shouldn't even matter.

In any case, sometimes Windows set wrong compatibility flags by itself, so try checking these two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And if you see aline referencing it ( we haven't set it, that's for sure ), remove it from both keys AND REBOOT.

Umberto,

Appreciate you taking the time to read my question, providing some insight, and for giving me a possible solution. That was it!!!! I found the reference to the 640x480 in the first registry key, deleted it, rebooted, and everything loads fine now.

Thank you so much!!

Branden