Author Topic: FSDT Installer Crashes my PC  (Read 443 times)

berniejp

FSDT Installer Crashes my PC
« on: July 29, 2024, 10:00:13 am »
Hi guys. I'm in desperate need of help.  I use GSX Pro for MSFS2020.  When I click on the CONFIG button, the page comes up, and when it starts scanning aircraft for PAX, etc, it crashes the software and then I get the blue screen of death. My machine then reboots.  When I tried again, a dialog box came up quote an internal protection action and to contact you, as the authors.

I have completely uninstall GSX Pro, deactivated, remove the FSDT Installer and reinstalled from scratch.  Without any luck, the same thing happened again.  This is the first time GSX Pro has done this and I've been using it for years. 

Please I hope there's a fix somewhere.  Many thx.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Installer Crashes my PC
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2024, 12:03:39 am »
The installer by itself, cannot possibly caused a Blue screen of death, because it's an user-level app, made in .NET (which has even less chances to crash the PC, since it's a managed app), the only things that can cause a BSOD are:

- a low level app or service, like a driver, or an antivirus.

- an actual hardware fault, like a bad sector on disk that for bad luck belongs to a file that is read by the installer, so you might try doing a full disk check, it might eventually repair the problem.

Darewell

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 12:56:10 am »
No idea if it’s related but since the 3.0.7 update I noticed that going to the fsdtinstaller GSX options was pushing my 5800X3D up to 90 degrees Celsius, something new.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 06:23:59 pm »
but since the 3.0.7 update I noticed that going to the fsdtinstaller GSX options was pushing my 5800X3D up to 90 degrees Celsius, something new.

That's to be expected because, to make the process faster, the update of the various layout.json files is now down in multi-threading, using all available cores.

But of course, is not normal if your CPU overheats to a point it would crash completely, only because all cores are in use, so it's something you really need to look at: what if a new version of the sim, (or any other program for that matter) would be more optimized and also used all your cores (right now, it doesn't even reach 50%) ?