Author Topic: GSX audio problem  (Read 1416 times)

MoonlightKOBE

GSX audio problem
« on: January 06, 2024, 05:36:21 pm »
There was no sound during pushback on GSX, and when I tried to set the audio on the settings screen, all "Devices" were set to "no audio".
The simulator is P3D V4.5.
I reinstalled the latest version of GSX with the antivirus software turned off, but the situation did not change.

MoonlightKOBE

Re: GSX audio problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 04:04:21 am »
Add logfile.

ehasanov74

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 06:26:48 pm »
Hi
I also does not have a sound. All sounds gone. Pushback....
P3d v4.5
Any advice. Update already performed.

ehasanov74

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 07:47:04 pm »
I tried to reinstall.
Same problem.
It looks that problem started after Win10 update on 10.01.
Please check
I don't have a sound

Supera380

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 10:13:28 am »
Are your audio devices correctly identified by Windows 10 (Sound settings)? Windows 10 updates have been known to screw up the your selected audio settings.

Check there first.

Second do you have audio through your audio device for P3D  i.e. do sounds emanate from the sim itself.

then it can only be a GSX specific issue.

af273

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 12:10:34 am »
I've got exactly the same problem, with P3D4.5 and Win11.
I can confirm that it has nothing to do with Windows update, driver, or sound card not supporting Open AL for the following reasons:
- The problem started the day before, and there was no Windows update before that. I was using the sim and GSX 30 minutes before the problem starts so that much is certain. What I did immediately before this starts was to run LiveUpdate, which I didn't for quite some time (probably more than six months) because I was not prompted. I bought FSDT LSGG in that 30 minutes, and after that, LU ran automatically. Since then, this.
- I have 5 different devices, but whichever I choose as the primary playback device with the latest driver installed, the problem still persists.
- Until the day before, GSX was working without any problem whatsoever, and other games using OpenAL are still working.
- The sim itself has no issues with sound.

Just to avoid any doubt, previously CoualtI was in the Win audio mixer when in use, but now it's completely gone even when it is running, so this is not about the programme being muted.

One big problem I have which does not show up in this thread so far is, whatever change I make in the setting, including enabling logging and hit OK or Apply, Couatl64 simply crashes, leaving no log or .err, and without saving any changes made. So I cannot see log file. However, Win event viewer indicates that the crash is apparently caused by OpenAL32.dll and Couatl64.dll.

In addition, in CouatlAddons.ini, under [common],  there is an entry saying "audioenumerate = failed." I had a peek into MoonlightKobe's log in the hope of finding any clue, and it does have following lines:

Initializing audio...
Detected failed previous attempt to enumerate audio devices: disabling audio

I suspect that if I do have a log, this is what I would be seeing.
Another possibly relevant info is, I am also using Windows in Japanese just like MoonlightKOBE. I read in the change log that now the device name accepts characters other than basic alphabets, but possibly there still is an issue in this area.

What I did so far:
- Choose different devices
- Look into every single threads with "audio" or "sound" in them
- Reinstall OpenAL dlls
- Check compatibility of my devices with OpenAL (all of them do support it)
- Delete CoaltIAddons.ini
- Run LiveUpdate more than 10 times
- Run offline installer after that
- Total uninstall and reinstall of Addon Manger and GSX, to be followed by further LU and offline installer, with anti-virus off

And still no joy. Same crash, same absence of device and sound.
I am really running out of wit.
Any help/advice/suggestion is much appreciated.

af273

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 02:20:58 am »
I managed to figure out the cause of the crash: I have OpenAl32.dll in SYSWOW64, whose version is 6.something, whereas the one installed by Live Update is version 1.something. I have replaced all files with the same version and the crash stopped, enabling me to generate log file,  in which I found this:

Initializing audio...
Error initializing AudioManager: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 32: character maps to <undefined>

This looks as if the programme is failing to recognise name of the audio device, which is in Japanese.
I believe this has already been solved, but for some reason, it's not.
And then I realised that the date of Coualti for MSFS and P3D are different: only MSFS one is updated whenever I run LU, online or offline, and P3D remains 2023/11/17, although both are version 4.8 (P3D: 4.8.0.5335, MSFS: 4.8.0.5381).

So, my conclusion is, for whatever reason P3D version still has the issue with character recognition for sound device, which has been addressed for MSFS.
Or isn't this the latest version? Then I still have some issue with LU.
But if this is the latest version, I strongly hope the file is updated to match with the MSFS version as a matter of urgency.

af273

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 01:58:01 am »
I ran LU in response to a prompt to update to "Version 2.9.4," which I did, but still have the same issue with exactly the same error in the log, attached.
The list of installed apps shows that now I have GSX "2.9.8" whereas the file version of Cualti itself is the same as before.

As there is no reply to my previous query, I am really confused whether this has to do with some issues with LU at my end or there indeed is a bug with the programme.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 12:48:07 am »
I'm afraid the problem is your audio driver using a Japanese name, which causes a problem to GSX. You will understand how difficult it is for us to fix or test this.

Can you try (as a test) to set Windows in English, just to confirm this is the problem?

af273

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 05:50:55 pm »
I gave it a try, and after disabling every single device still displayed with non-ascii characters within the sim's option menu down to just one, it worked.
However, this is a device I cannot really use for various reasons (e.g. I cannot use headphone with it as it's speaker of display without any phone jack), so it would be much appreciated if you could somehow fix this.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:13:50 pm by af273 »