Author Topic: Hitting the tanker with 3% fuel  (Read 6216 times)

Paco

Hitting the tanker with 3% fuel
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:11:39 pm »
All,

Just flew a mission in the Sludge Hornet.  Took off out of North Island NAS, behind a tanker.  Hit the tanker on the climb out.  Tanker was on it's way to SFO and back.   After topping off on the basket, I flew off coast to take a trap.  Put the dumps on to get rid of gas.  Realized at the 90 I still had the dumps on, oops (low approach speed gave it away).  Trapped, launched off the cat with 3900lbs.  Flew north to catch the tanker, used A/A radar to find him, 80 miles heading away.  Did a quick calc, it's was going to be close, but what the heck, it's only 1's and 0's.   Managed the climb, speed, etc.  Finally caught up with the tanker, plugged with 3% fuel remaining.

Why tell you all this?   Because I wouldn't have been able to do this in the VRS Hornet.  Still can't get the tanker to work.  (Yes, I've been in the ACM)  Can't fly form on it for crap due to the FBW config.  During the course of the above mission, I used the FS recorder, the tanker, the new HUD, the refueling gauge, the trap guage, the Nimitz Carriers....all freeware with no FPS hit.  Looks like I'll be flying the Sludge Hornet.

Paco

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Hitting the tanker with 3% fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »
Paco...

Funny you should say that.  As youve probly seen, FSXNP has been BUSY with his BlackBox gauge, which includes a whole gripload of features.  Again all freeware, but you can now manually set (using the dial-knob on the VC fuel control panel) BINGO.  You can also set Betty for RALT and BARO warnings.  The UFC Touchpad can open up the refueling probe AND bring up JR's gauge in one click.  He reworked the 2D AoA Indexer, better than the one I had in there, which also includes a "hook carrier/field" switch that gives the 2D Indexer proper NATOPS behavior based on the switch, hook up/down = flashing/steady, gear up/down = off/on, and gear down w/Weight-on-Wheels = deactivation.  Also, a "landing lights switch", that lets you auto trigger landings lights when gear dropped, if you want.

Also, I remember you asking about power, along with JR... so I did flight testing with new numbers and you'll really like the new aircraft.cfg power settings now.  I got back 11000 static dry thrust, but kept the 1.1 on induced_drag_index and upped the parasite_drag_index to 1.5, so it will not go over .85 mach at FULL MIL.  Still maintains approach RPMs in the 85-88 percent, but gives you more power incase you get into a bad underpowered, v/vector-low situation.  Now you dont have to use blower to get out of a bad approach.  FULL MIL should bail you out of most low energy approaches.  JR played with it and seemed to approve, so Ill go with these new numbers til someone else suggests something and flight testing confirms its better.

If you feel comfortable, open your aircraft.cfg and under [TurbineEngineData] change the static_thrust = 11000.  Then under [flight_tuning], induced_drag_scalar = 1.1, and parasite_drag_scalar=1.5, there ya go.
I'm also including a .bgl file that gives you a better tanker AI traffic flight plan thats far more realistic than the KSFO plan.  Plus, Ill include the new tanker aircraft.cfg that fixes its cruising speed along with ATC identifier.  In the refuelling gauge it will list correctly as a KC-135.  Remove the old traffic_kc135rt.bgl from your scenery and cut/paste this one in there...  And cut/paste the aircraft.cfg into your KC-135T, replacing the old one.  You get a far more realistic KSAN-KLAS-KSAN AI flight plan that starts at 1900 Local PACIFIC time.  The tanker flies at .65 mach, FL230/FL240 (usaf standard tanker profile:  .63 mach, FL220-260).  If you want a challenge, enable "winds aloft" and try tanking.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:36:23 pm by Sludge »

markturner

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
Hey Christian, where can I get the link for the black box gizmo?

Cheers,Mark

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »
Mark...

I can send my most current Hornet to ya, with the BlackBox gauge (full Betty functionality, refueling gauge integration, auto Landing Lights, ALA lights disabled) or you can ask FSXnavypilot, who is the original author of that gauge?  Also, to use the latest BlackBox, you need FSUIPC 4.6 installed.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:11:15 am »
...Also, to use the latest BlackBox, you need FSUIPC 4.6 installed.

Sludge, I have no FSUIPC on my PC and everything works ok, including my gauge. Did I miss something again?  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:00 am »
FSXNP...

Maybe it was me thinking that when you install the latest version, the d3d.gau asks for gauge permission to start and I thought that was FSUIPC driven?  Feel free to correct.

Later
Sludge

Orion

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:15 am »
Nope, that's just FSX warning you that a gauge or SimConnect based program is trying to automatically start alongside FSX.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:50:13 am »
...the d3d.gau asks for gauge permission to start and I thought that was FSUIPC driven?...

What d3d?.. Do you mean dsd_xml_sound3.gau, I believe?  :)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »
Fellas...

Yeah, thats the gauge I was talking about.  Fair enough, you dont have to have FSUIPC 4.6 for it to work.  I shoulda left that part to FSXNP to discuss, since it is HIS BlackBox/Betty gauge.

Later
Sludge

average_joe

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 02:05:57 pm »
If you did that for real at the boat, you would have had quite a welcoming committee ... like the Ship's captain, the air boss, the CAG, your squadron commander, air wing LSO, squadron OPS O ... you'd be paying big fines at Kangaroo Court!!

Next day's NATOPS Question would have something to do with the Descent Checklist ... "Check dumps off".

You'd be spending every launch and recovery for the next couple of days as the squadron rep in PriFly ... where the airboss could abuse you unmercifully!!

Average Joe