Author Topic: [Suggestion] GUI View for Quick Edit Pushback  (Read 262 times)

marco411

[Suggestion] GUI View for Quick Edit Pushback
« on: February 14, 2024, 10:56:54 am »
Hi Support,

I have a suggestion regarding the quick edit pushback feature. Currently, if we want to quickly edit the pushback position, we need to click multiple times on the NumPad1/3 keys to rotate the pointer due to the limitation in MSFS.

To solve this issue, I propose that the development team consider using a different approach, such as implementing a top-down map that allows editing the pushback position using the mouse.

This would be similar to the functionality provided by the "Toolbar Pushback" tool - https://flightsim.to/file/15033/toolbar-pushback.

Regards,
Marco

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: [Suggestion] GUI View for Quick Edit Pushback
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 11:08:37 pm »
One of the main points of doing a custom pushback to begin with, is to control where you are passing through, which of requires checking obstacles, buildings, scenery objects, or using the camera view to precisely align your final heading to the ground lines.  And all these things are not doable on the extremely limited 2D map, making the whole concept of a custom pushback way less useful, that's why planning over a 2D map like the toolbar pushback is inferior to planning on the actual scenery, like GSX.

Of course, the toolbar pushback forces you to plan every pushback you do, because it lacks the ability to perform an automatic pushback, which in GSX works most of the time without even needing to plan a route to begin with. Not even mentioning it shouldn't be your job as the pilot to plan a pushback, it's the tug driver's that drives the tug, you as the pilot only decide the general direction.

About the interface, I presume your issue with its the lack of the mouse interface. Of course, we do have a mouse interface over the 3D scenery, in the simulators that allows it, that is P3D4, 5 and 6. We don't have it in FSX and MSFS, because their SDK doesn't have any function (like the P3D SDK does) to convert mouse clicks into Lat/Lon coordinates based on the camera view. Obviously, if MSFS ever added such feature, it would be trivial for us to add it to MSFS, since we already have it in P3D.

But that's not really the main point: the point is, while the mouse interface is easier to learn, the keyboard is both faster and precise, after you learn the few keys used by heart. In fact, even in P3D, I still use the keyboard to do custom pushbacks.

Because the custom pushback is a function that is supposed to be used more by profile creators than users, it's more important that it's faster and more accurate after you know your way around, rather than it's easier to learn, because that's what matters if you do hundreds of custom pushbacks per airport.