Author Topic: FSDT Slow Download Speeds  (Read 668 times)

dresoccer4

FSDT Slow Download Speeds
« on: January 19, 2024, 07:00:20 pm »
At first I thought something was actually wrong with the installation of products through the FSDT Installer. I tried updating GSX Pro and I was on hour 3 of download with no end in sight. Then I tried installing fresh an airport from the download list. However I'm still 45 mins into this download.

Finally I checked the bandwidth usage of the FSDT Installer app and thats when I found the culprit: the app is only using a tiny amount of download speed:
https://pasteboard.co/dnqn6ND4mVc8.png

I've tried this on TWO different PCs here and the app is behaving the same way on both of them. One is a brand new machine.
I just did a speed test in between download attempts and as you can see that's not the problem:
https://pasteboard.co/NQgX7LzhO1TV.png

So as you can see I did my tests and the issue is indeed with the FSDT installer. Anyone know what's happening here? Anyone found a way to fix this? As it stands the download speed is so slow it will take days to install anything. I've downloade airports from OrbX and Aerosoft today as well and they all downloaded fast so I know it's possible.

Thanks for any help figuirng this out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Slow Download Speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 06:43:20 pm »
The problem is not related in any way to our app. This is how it really takes to install AND update GSX from a clean install:

https://youtu.be/5oHiuDoZB1I

Under 6 minutes, with an 1gbit/s connection so, depending on your connection speed, make the due proportion how it should take on your system (If you have  100 Mbit/s, it should take 60 minutes)

The first things to check are:

- The antivirus. Be sure the whole Addon Manager folder is added to the Antivirus Exclusions. (do not  turn off the antivirus, configure it instead)

- The firewall. Either turn it off or configure it to explicitly grant permission to go online to the Couatl_Updater2.exe file in the Addon Manager folder

If none of that makes any difference, the problem is likely your ISP connection to your local Cloudflare node. You never connect to our server directly, nobody does (not even us, when we make the video to show the normal download speed), you always connect to one of the 270+ nodes in the Cloudflare network.

Other than the firewall or antivirus issues, slow downloads from Cloudflare can be caused by one of these:

- You are the FIRST one on your local node asking for our installer files. In this case, your local Cloudflare node will first download the files you asked from our server and THEN, when it completes, it will serve the file to you. The next user (which can be you as well) downloading that file, will download from the local node directly, which is surely faster. But if you abort the download "because it's slow", you are restarting the process again, making it worse.

- Your ISP has routing issues with that node anyway. A way to troubleshoot this is to use a VPN, which will bypass your ISP routing, connecting to other nodes around the world.

- Your local Cloudflare node might really be down. This is rare, but it can happen. A VPN will help with this as well.