Author Topic: LSO Sound Files  (Read 8844 times)

GOONIE

LSO Sound Files
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:56:21 pm »
All,

Thought I would share the sound files I've been working on for carrier flying with the F/A-18. Both sets are posted on AVSIM links below. Note, I just reworked and added several new LSO calls today and they should be available tomorrow on AVSIM as Verion 2. Version 1 is available today.

The LSO calls will work with the old TGS day traps mission, must have it installed to work. I cut and edited sounds from PLAT cam footage I have and some files on youtube to my liking. Please back up your old TGS LSO sound files in case you don't like mine. I also got rid of the LSO debrief files since you don't usually get a verbal debrief while still in the cockpit. It would be great to add a feature in FSX that gives you a written output of your approach using LSO shorthand (as shown in the pictures below) that could be collected for each approach. I am sure some of the FSX magicians here on this forum could figure that out.

Link to LSO sounds (Version 2 will be available tomorrow) http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Author=Brennan+Haltli.

I have a couple easter eggs in the sound files, make sure you clear the landing area after your six approach, also don't get low near the ramp  ;) or you will get a wake up call. Anyways just wanted to share, makes the carrier approaches fun to fly when not in MP and gives you some new voices that coach you to a OK 3. A couple notes, when in the grove and calling the ball, the LSO will prompt you with "call the ball", followed by a silence which is there for you to make the proper call with actual fuel state, then a roger ball by the LSO (for some reason TGS has this happen at 1.3NM which is not 3/4 of a mile). Also while abeam, you will get a "paddles copy" call, which if you are prepared you can state that you are abeam before this happens. You might also get a "signal bingo" if you hit the ramp or taxi into the 1 wire. As you might have experienced sometimes the mission accidently triggers the wrong files (like a Wave Off when you are in the break flying upwind), but for the most part it works well on my system.

The other sound files I edited go with the Blue Angles COP3 Guage. If you use this guage (found in your main FSX gauge folder) it includes some new sounds for the arrested landing and cat launch. I've updated these to add some additional sounds, like the wire retracting,hook getting loose, and the launch bar snapping up after the launch. I also changed the sonic boom sound to my liking. Again use if you like but back up your old files in case you don't.

Link to COP3 sounds http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Author=Brennan+Haltli.

Hope you enjoy!
Capt
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:32:53 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

Re: LSO Sound Files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »
Here's a direct link, if anyone wants it: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Author=Brennan+Haltli.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:16 pm »
CAPT...

Great idea, as well as all the other stuff youve been up to.  When I get home from work, Ill send my LSOGradeBook.xml to you that I used in multiplayer.  Its a scaled down version of the paperwork you have, for use in grading passes.

Also, using the TopGunSim missions, does your carrier move at more than 10 kts?  Last night, I tried to get that daggone thing working correctly only to fall into a few pits and havent figured out why I cant decompile, mod, then recompile the mission so that the carrier moves at more than 10 kts.  Granted, if those fellas were still around, Id ask them, but they arent so we are stuck with modding it ourselves, if need be.  Ideally, it should be around 20-25 kts, even says so in the briefing.html file according to Snort's guidelines, but in my TGS mission it only moves at 10 and I have to increase the WoD to around 20-25 to get an acceptable landing WoD for 4.0 Meatball.

Anyway, again, great job and I did some voice mods of my own as well.  Great minds think alike.  I dont mind the grades, but agree that it would be good if someone figured out how to present those in LSO shorthand in one brief picture.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »
Thanks, Sludge. I definitely would like to see the .xml grade book you created, and continue work to get a LSO shorthand brief created automatically for each approach flown and recorded historically for review later.

Regarding the carrier's speed, I tried updating the sim.cfg's max_speed_mph = XX, under the [design specs] to increase the carrier speed with no joy. It seems that the TGS mission is suppressing the speed update, because it does affect the carrier's speed when using the AI carriers feature.

CAPT

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »
CAPT...

Sorry I mistyped... been doing that ALOT lately.  I meant .xls (excel) for an LSO Grade Book.  I wish we had something that was an .xml that recorded flights within FSX as a gauge, but I dont know if one's been made.

BTW, your LSO sound update is really cool.  You got far more LSO calls than I ever could find.  And you're right about 1.3 "ball call", just odd how it does that, instead of about .9 making that call, then around .7/.6, making the "roger, ball" call.  Sometimes, you just have to make due with what you have.

Yeah, just no luck modding that mission for me.  If someone else with better mod skills could figure out why the spb2xml decompiler doesnt work right, or if there is another decompiler that breaks down the .spb better, would love to hear from them.  I mean, the values are there for the modding, along with the other destroyers, just that the decompiled .xml doesnt work.  Oh well.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:11:09 pm by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
CAPT,
Great mod! It's so immersive and fun to fly  8)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

JamesChams

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:48:02 am »
Thanks, Gents! 8)
I'll try this out and, perhaps, add it to the Naval Package.

Keep up the good work! :D
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

GOONIE

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:44:53 pm »

James, what is the Naval Package?  ???

Thanks,
CAPT

JamesChams

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:29:16 am »
James, ...
That's Mr. Chams to you... as I out rank you. LOL ;)
what is the Naval Package?  ???
Its a colimination of several different developers and users fixes/addons, for all things Naval in FSX, into one nice & easy installation file that I've been putting together....  Its still a WIP as many developers are still testing/tweaking their own projects;  Mr. Snow is one of them. 8)

I hope to include you/your work as well...that is if you'll kindly let me ???
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams