Author Topic: The never ending question about LOD levels used by GSX  (Read 1433 times)

WebMaximus

The never ending question about LOD levels used by GSX
« on: October 12, 2023, 05:14:45 pm »
I've asked about this before and when I just did a quick search here for the word LOD, it returned 2 pages of threads. So clearly I'm not the only one annoyed by what we have today, lots of GSX objects disappearing or turning completely grey etc at a certain distance.

I know you've said Umberto how you only comply with the instructions for LOD in the MSFS SDK but given how this takes away quite a bit of immersion when using your product, is there any chance you could come up with some workaround or whatever? To allow GSX objects to be fully visible at a greater distance.

You're the developer and I'm not but I still can't wrap my head around how it's impossible to address this issue one way or the other. Back in the days when every byte was important, I understand why developers had to be very restrictive to save memory etc. Today though with everything we have in MSFS, surely that can't be the main reason anymore for being forced to use such an aggressive LOD system?

If we would be able to see the bags from a distance, see the pushback truck drive away without suddenly disappearing or loosing its details, see the passenger bus in all its glory instead of looking like a grey lump before it gets close enough, that would make GSX so much more entertaining and fun to use.

Again, I know this topic has been up many, many times already but please Umberto...try to think this one over one more time and if there's anything you could do to make the situation better.

We are a lot of people in here who would be more than grateful !!
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

Re: The never ending question about LOD levels used by GSX
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 06:45:52 pm »
Bump...
Richard Åsberg

Cyrex1984

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 08:50:53 pm »
Yes i agree the LOD with GSX is terrible low. But it seems like Umberto isnt going to do anything other than whats in the SDK instructions so i think we are stuck with it. The one thing u can do however, u can manualy edit the config in mfs and set the object LOD to a high number like 600 or greater. In sim it only goes to 200 max. I use only VR and in VR the LOD is even more bad then in 2D, so i raised my objectlod setting to 800. Doesnt have any notible impact on performance imho.

And one other thing to notice if you set the lod higher then 200 in the config file the animations get more smooth further away. Default the animations goes to like 5fps when from just short distance.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 08:56:09 pm by Cyrex1984 »

HeicoH

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 09:19:33 pm »
@Cyrex1984 ("The one thing u can do however, u can manualy edit the config in mfs and set the object LOD to a high number like 600 or greater."):

Please tell us the name of the file one has to manipulate to set the LOD higher than 200, and where it is located.
Thx in advance.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 09:45:26 pm »
I know you can change the LOD manually like suggested and I played around with it in the past but I would rather see Umberto addressing the issue properly.
Richard Åsberg

silvera

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 12:53:12 pm »
@Cyrex1984 ("The one thing u can do however, u can manualy edit the config in mfs and set the object LOD to a high number like 600 or greater."):

Please tell us the name of the file one has to manipulate to set the LOD higher than 200, and where it is located.
Thx in advance.

C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache folder. UserCfg file. Look for:
 {ObjectsLoD
      LoDFactor 1.800000 ---> set this to 8.000000 for 800.

HeicoH

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 01:14:21 pm »
@silvera:

I have the Steam version, so the path is different, but I found it. Thx alot.

Update: Unfortunately, it was set back to 1.000000 after quitting the sim.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:24:36 pm by HeicoH »
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

Cyrex1984

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 05:05:55 pm »
@silvera:

I have the Steam version, so the path is different, but I found it. Thx alot.

Update: Unfortunately, it was set back to 1.000000 after quitting the sim.

Set the object lod to 200 in sim and it will not go back after setting it to 800 in the cfg file.

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 06:12:53 pm »
I recall when adjusting the LOD manually like this, eventually it had a side-effect.

Unfortunately, I can't recall what it was. Just be aware if you notice anything fishy after modifying the value.

I guess there's a good reason why Asobo didn't allow the slider to go any higher than 200.
Richard Åsberg