Author Topic: GSX De-Icing  (Read 686 times)

MD-82

GSX De-Icing
« on: January 07, 2024, 09:39:31 am »
Hello Umberto,

from my observation, I am seeing that when you request a de-icing treatment you will not get offered a choice of fluid concentration if you select a fluid type anymore. It just omits the concentration dialog and blasts 100% of whatever you selected.

To reproduce the way it can still work;

- Request de-icing. After the vehicles are in position, you will get asked if the vehicle is ready. (No dialog to confirm like e.g. Confirm good engine start)
- After the fluid type dialog opens, leave the default GSX choice. The GSX choice is selected after a short delay.
- You will then get the concentration dialog. Choose whichever concentration you want, and you will get the type (that GSX chose) and concentration.

To reproduce the way I think has broken;

- Same as first step above.
- After the fluid type dialog opens, choose your preferred type.
- The concentration dialog is skipped and GSX gives you 100% of whatever fluid you chose.

Except for this, it would also be nice to get a Yes or No dialog to confirm to the ice man when the aircraft is configured after selecting the type and concentration. Kind of like the confirm good engine start sequence. So, Vehicles in position -> Select Type -> Select Concentration -> "Confirm the airplane is configured for engine start" -> Dialog opens for the confirmation -> De-icing begins.

Cheers,

Xander

Update: After further testing it seems it only does this when selecting Type IV. All other types correctly sequence the concentration.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:55:11 am by MD-82 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX De-Icing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 10:45:35 am »
Update: After further testing it seems it only does this when selecting Type IV. All other types correctly sequence the concentration.

I checked the code and yes, there was even a remark that Fluid Type IV is always used at 100%, I don't remember exactly why, most likely some users must have suggested that, because there is in fact an explicit check to always have it applied at 100% concentration.

MD-82

Re: GSX De-Icing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 11:42:23 am »
OK, thanks Umberto. It seems weird that someone would suggest that. I would want to make a wish for it to return to how it was given below;

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/media/FAA_2022-23_HoldoverTables.pdf

Here it clearly states that type 4 is frequently mixed. Not only that, that in many cases it significantly improves HOT.

I checked for both FAA and EASA. EASA just references the FAA one. It is also the one my airline uses. I did a quick check just be sure it wasn't just my airline's policy to request Type IV fluid concentrations.

Cheers