Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 214297 times)

Razgriz

Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2010, 05:48:45 am »
Top gun sim missions. 

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:01 am »
Raz...

Well, I stayed up and worked on the vapor effect again.  Check out these pics.  Also, using the lesser smoke...

Now if I can use that old vapor file for the hi-AOA/hi-humidity vapor that shows up during hi-alpha stuff when its humid out, I think that would be a good start.  And then toning down the original BIG, POOFY vapor for the really HI-G pulls, that would work great.

Later
Sludge

Enjoy.

Razgriz

« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:27 pm »
This LEX vapor looks much better.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »
Raz...

Now that this looks good, Im gonna try to put it in the [Smoke] section where it belongs, using the techniques I found from FSDeveloper site.  I think VooDoo was involved in that too and put out a "made for dummies" (like me) gauge that lets people plug in their own effects.  All I have to do is make a hybrid gauge that has the G vapor activation/shutdown numbers along with the engine smoke stuff as well and see if I can get it running.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:01 pm »
Orion...

Thanks for the "nudging" to get me to see the light, in regards to moving the G vapor effect to the [smoke] section.  I know I can be slow to see an idea, but you gave it enough time so that I could finally get it thru my skull that we need to put all the effects in the smoke section and have it controlled by ONE.xml gauge.

Thanks.
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:51 am »
Fellas...

Here's an update on the G vapor with good and bad news.  First the good.  The one gauge controlling effects from the [smoke] section is a great success.  It worked just fine, and is very easy to code.

Now the bad.  Even tho the smoke works fine, for some reason, the G vapor "clips off" when moving the viewpoint to behind the aircraft center mass.  The clips should show the difference.

If anybody has any ideas, please fire them my way.

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2010, 04:14:58 am »
This happened in FS9 a lot.  No clue what causes it.  Maybe a post over at FS Developer may help?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:50 am »
Great news Fellas...

Problem SOLVED!!  Got the G Vapor working from all angles and even shows up a little bit at night.

OK, all I did was unknowingly take a page outta VooDoo's book of magic.  I made a dummy emitter/particle (emitter.0 - LIGHT=1;particle.0 xyz scale=0.05,0.05,0.20;color start/end=75,75,75,0) as the final emitter/particle and placed it in aircraft center so it doesnt affect anything else while emitting.  Since it has the LIGHT=1, it gives the whole effect predence in viewing at all angles and that makes it show up ALL THE TIME.

Gotta get back to work.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:58:56 am by Sludge »

Orion

« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2010, 07:01:00 am »
Cool, glad it's finally in the smoke system section (where it always should have been :P), and also glad that it's starting to look better ;D.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2010, 07:25:07 am »
Orion...

Yeah, I know.  Took me a while to get it thru my skull and start experimenting with .XMLs but now that I've taken the plunge its really not that hard.  I think its done a different way than what you originally thought... as I had to read up on FSDeveloper.com site to get the skinny on how to make the individual smokes come on.  Also, the parameters arent as configureable as before, at least to my limited knowledge...  the parameters I had installed in the old gauge didn't follow the light activation parameters of: "more than AoA" AND "higher than G" AND "less than 30k".  I only took one parameter, so I used the baseline G force.  Either way, I'll still take it tho, as it simplifies alot of the effects.  Plus, I can do multiple effects with one gauge and all under the smoke system.  Serge should probly re-write the ALA lights for the smoke system... it can be done.

Skimmer...

BTW, I figured out, if you do the "wing clipping" fix from FSX Blue Angels, you can see the vapor from inside the cockpit.  Its real easy, if youre comfy modding your Cameras.CFG (back it up first), open it, and in the "cockpit" and "virtual cockpit" sections there is a setting called CLIPMODE=, change it to "Minimum".  Now youll be able to see the vapor from inside the cockpit.

Although I wouldnt recommend it as the effect looks like a buncha smokey cloud puffs that close...  just loses its beauty up close.

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2010, 07:47:04 am »
You all do realize that with this we can add guns/flares and have even more steps towards combat?  Just visual effects, but all add coolness.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
You all do realize that with this we can add guns/flares and have even more steps towards combat?  Just visual effects, but all add coolness.

Sludge/Razgriz,

Dunno, if this is the correct thread to post this, but, I have already tried the Gun/Rocket effects on the default F/A-18 and they work quite cool. I had taken the effects from another aircraft (Cobra heptr, I think, but am not sure now) and then added them to the effect folder in FSX.
Then I had linked the Gun firing to landing light, and rocket firing to smoke in the aircraft.cfg. A little bit of tweaking to find the correct attach points, and voila I had them working.

The guns effects would show up as tracer fire balls which would fire from both sides of aircraft nose and would be visible up to 1.5 nm or so. If you shot them on ground, the fire balls would be visible on ground too. Ditto with the rockets.

I still have the modded cfg file with me, if you guys need it.
The beauty of the setup was, if you were in multiplayer session, and your partner had the same cfg as you, both of you would see the effects.
This mod was a great help, while we trained for dog fights and stuff.

The only draw back we faced was when someone else came into the session, and his cfg file wasn't modded. In such cases, sometime the effects would reverse. I mean, while your guns (landing light) would be off, but the other person would see them as 'guns firing', and this would get distracting sometimes (when we were not doing ACM training, for example).

Just thought, I must share this with you guys.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »
Raz...

"You all"?!  Since when did you start talking like an Okie? Hehe.

Seriously, yeah, thats coming.  The first I would like to do is the beauty "chaff/flare" combos.  With a higher rate (5 quick p/button push), better ejection profile (left/right low and out) and a launch sound (micro "thumps") than the VRS version.  Not so much worried about the "combat" but still cant wait to work on these effects.

This success also means the "hybrid" smoke/shimmer is coming.  Ill probly make the "shimmer" more clear alpha channeled and less emitted particle rate than it currently is written.  Is that cool Voodoo?  Always gotta keep the frame rates low.

Here's what I want the flares to look and SOUND like, watch from 5:45, you'll see what I mean.

Mickey...

Yes, this is the correct thread to post as all the modifications I do will go into the next Sludge Hornet (v1.2) that I put out there.

Dont worry, once I get the "chaff/flare" combo effect done, Ill get to work on guns.  Here's the kicker tho, as Orion correctly showed me.  Once they are controlled by the [smoke] section, the problems you talked about with other users not having the effect will stop.  You can still do what you want but they just wont have it... or it will show up to THEM as something else (maybe default smoke?).

Also, I'm pretty sure you can do lights or ANY EFFECT YOU WANT in the [smoke] section.  You just have to call on it slightly different than the [lights] section, and since it's now in the [smoke] section, as the .fx effects file might have to include the LIGHT=1 in one of the particles to get display preference.  Once you get the hang of it, its very straightforward and, God forbid ME saying this, easy.  It can be controlled with ONE .XML gauge (if one desires) and simply start the numbering on the [smoke] section as .1, then youll have a total of 99 possible effects.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2010, 05:46:48 pm »
To all...

Does anyone know the how to pull humidity or relative humidity in an .XML call?  I tried (A:RELATIVE HUMIDITY,percent) and it didn't work.  Anybody else run across what humidity is called?

Serge...

Do you care if I put your ALA effects into the [smoke] section, or are you already doing that now?

Thanks
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »
Sludge,

Does anyone know the how to pull humidity or relative humidity in an .XML call?  I tried (A:RELATIVE HUMIDITY,percent) and it didn't work.  Anybody else run across what humidity is called?

In SDK under Simulation Variables/Aircraft Environment Data there are following variables:

AMBIENT DENSITY          Slugs per cubic feet     
AMBIENT TEMPERATURE    Celsius    
AMBIENT PRESSURE        Inches of mercury, inHg

Do you care if I put your ALA effects into the [smoke] section?

Yes, you're welcome.  ;D
Want it done right? Do it yourself!