Author Topic: FSDT Universal Installer not installing GSX Pro  (Read 1098 times)

lukehall

FSDT Universal Installer not installing GSX Pro
« on: November 07, 2023, 11:37:20 am »
I'm trying to install GSX Pro with the FSDT UI just downloaded from the GSX page on the FSDT Website.

Licence activated then click Install. There is a brief flash in the UI, then nothing but the endless spinning icon. Nothing happens, it just sits there spinning.
Fast fibre broadband all working correctly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Universal Installer not installing GSX Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 11:42:22 am »
Checked now, and it doesn't happen here (not that I wasn't sure, but I always recheck every report).

- Be sure your firewall is not blocking the installer

- Be sure the whole Addon manager folder (where you installed the FSDT Universal Installer) is added to the Antivirus Exclusions.

- If that doesn't work, remove this folder:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\PackagesCache

- If still doesn't work, it's possible to log the installation this way:

Open a command prompt, which can be done by typing CMD (then Enter) on the Windows address bar. Assuming you installed in the default folder (if you haven't, you MUST replace this command with your actual path) type the following:

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager"

Again, adapt to your actual path if you changed it, and use double quotes if your path contains spaces. Now start the installer this way:

Couatl_Updater2 /INSTALLMODE /LOG

Run the install, and if it's still not installed at the end, exit and check for this file

LOG.TXT

Will if you did everything correctly, would have been created in the Addon Manager folder you were in.

ZIP the LOG.TXT file (yes, ZIP IT!!) and attach it to a post or send it by email to support, so I can see what's wrong with it.

lukehall

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 03:27:16 pm »
Thanks very much for your fast and comprehensive reply.

With all firewall and anti-virus turned off, still no luck.
So, I tried a command line install with logging as you suggested. It logged the following error:
"Error Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Luke\AppData\Roaming\virtuali\PackagesCache'. trying to create package folder"

The problem was that it wasn't creating the folder, so the installation was hanging there. Once I created the folder manually and tried again, it all worked perfectly.

Please note - the FSDT installer UI was flashing this error up but only for a millisecond. If the error message had remained persistent and possible to read, the problem would have been much easier and quicker to solve, so that might be a good suggestion for future FSDT UI versions? :-)

The other question is "why couldn't FSDT UI create the folder itself? I've never seen that problem before.

Anyway, all good now thanks!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:21:48 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 04:25:21 pm »
The other question is "why couldn't FSDT UI create the folder itself? I've never seen that problem before.

That's not normal, of course, and nobody ever reported it before. If you followed my instructions about the log (ZIP it and Attach it), instead of posting just that line, seeing the whole log might provided an hint why it happened. If you still have the log from that failed installation, I would like to look at it.

Driver8

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:39:50 pm »
FYI i finally bought GSX Pro for MSFS yesterday and had the exact same installation problem too.  I never saved install files for any of my previous FSDT purchases and so did not have any PackagesCache folder either.  It took a lot of hitting that "install" button and focusing hard for my aging eyes to finally catch the quickly flashing error that it was failing because of a missing PackagesCache folder  :)  Once i manually created it, it installed fine.

Now, this COULD be some result of coincidentally purchasing this on the same day as a big update was happening...  And i gave it until like 2am CT this morning before i finally read the error close enough to see what it was failing for.  But, it seems there may be more than one of us reporting the same issue now.  Again, i'll accept that it could be an artifact of buying it on an update day, but even if that is the case, some better notification is needed to explain to someone just purchasing the product on an update day that this may be why the install is failing rather than relying on us to have to check the forum for this info...  I've been buying FSDT products for a long time now, and this was a new one even for me.....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:41:27 pm by Driver8 »

lukehall

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:20:07 pm »
FYI i finally bought GSX Pro for MSFS yesterday and had the exact same installation problem too.  I never saved install files for any of my previous FSDT purchases and so did not have any PackagesCache folder either.  It took a lot of hitting that "install" button and focusing hard for my aging eyes to finally catch the quickly flashing error that it was failing because of a missing PackagesCache folder  :)  Once i manually created it, it installed fine.

Now, this COULD be some result of coincidentally purchasing this on the same day as a big update was happening...  And i gave it until like 2am CT this morning before i finally read the error close enough to see what it was failing for.  But, it seems there may be more than one of us reporting the same issue now.  Again, i'll accept that it could be an artifact of buying it on an update day, but even if that is the case, some better notification is needed to explain to someone just purchasing the product on an update day that this may be why the install is failing rather than relying on us to have to check the forum for this info...  I've been buying FSDT products for a long time now, and this was a new one even for me.....

I actually purchased mine a couple of years ago. I did download a fresh copy of the FSDT Universal Installer today though, as my existing copy was a few weeks old. :-)

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 10:21:21 pm »
but even if that is the case, some better notification is needed to explain to someone just purchasing the product on an update day that this may be why the install is failing rather than relying on us to have to check the forum for this info...  I've been buying FSDT products for a long time now, and this was a new one even for me.....
The problem with that line of thinking is it assumes that they knew that something like this could happen in the first place. It would be difficult for them to do that if they had no idea that it could.
Captain Kevin

lukehall

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 10:24:11 pm »

That's not normal, of course, and nobody ever reported it before. If you followed my instructions about the log (ZIP it and Attach it), instead of posting just that line, seeing the whole log might provided an hint why it happened. If you still have the log from that failed installation, I would like to look at it.

Ok ok, I was trying to be helpful by explaining what actions I took that were successful...
Anyway, as you've asked so nicely, here is the log file.

Cheers!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 11:42:34 pm »
Anyway, as you've asked so nicely, here is the log file.

I'm afraid this is a new log, not the one with that error. It looked like a permission problem, maybe related to antivirus.