Author Topic: Sim crashes and made Couatl crash  (Read 702 times)

icetelar

Sim crashes and made Couatl crash
« on: November 09, 2023, 03:57:49 pm »
Hello simmers! I got crash today. I see this first time. How can I solve my problem?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:47:27 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Sim crashes and made Couatl crash
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 11:47:01 pm »
Hello simmers! I got crash today. I see this first time. How can I solve my problem?

This has been discussed so many times on the forum, you are being misled by the event viewer and are assuming that, just because you see Couatl crashed, it was the cause of your P3D crash, but it's not.

The couatl engine, as an .EXE, doesn't have ANY access to the Prepar3d.exe process, meaning it cannot cause a crash. This is granted by the OS at the lowest level, and programs that don't attach to a process like debuggers (and Couatl surely doesn't) and/or are not lower-level services or drivers, simply cannot crash other apps.

On the other hand, when the sim crashes for any other reason, it will abruptly disconnect its communication with the Couatl program, which is waiting for a proper "quit" command (which hasn't arrived, because the sim crashed), to exit cleanly.

So, what really happened here, is that P3D crashed for another completely unrelated reason, and it MADE Couatl crash too, because of the unexpected disconnection, and you are being misled assuming Couatl has something to do with it, because you are seeing it referenced in the event viewer.

In fact, because you provided also the P3D crash, what really happened here, is that Prepar3D crashed in facilities.dll, (this is the real reason of the crash) and looks like a problem in the Navdata of the sim, and this crash brought Couatl with it.

In addition to that, I see you are running an outdated version of the sim, 5.3.17, while the current one is 5.4.9, so I suggest updating it.

AND you are also running an outdated version of the Couatl engine the 4.8.0.4187, while the current version is 4.8.0.5315, but since you are using soft_oal.dll, which has been added very recently, suggests you TRIED to update, but your Antivirus might have blocked the update of the Couatl .EXE, while letting pass other newer files, causing a mix-match of files belonging to different versions, which is guaranteed to cause issues. Not a sim crash, but surely issues with sounds in GSX.

- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the Antivirus Exclusions

- Run the FSDT Live Update again, and verify you got the latest version.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:56:04 pm by virtuali »