Author Topic: Download take forever!  (Read 4079 times)

amilcarnj

Download take forever!
« on: October 27, 2023, 04:29:58 pm »
I am downloading the gsx pro from the installer. I have 1 gigabit connection and I am installing this since yesterday. About 10 hrs ago and still 70 percent. I want to try the 3 airports allowed to buy the product if I like it. Why it is taking so long.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:32:21 pm by amilcarnj »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Download take forever!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 04:47:39 pm »
This is of course unheard of and not normal. It takes less than 10 minutes to download and update from scratch here.

Your screenshot shows the Update process, so it's not very clear from your message if the slow part was the initial download of the ZIP archives, or the update process.

We recently updated the base archives to version 2.7.7 so, a new download from scratch should install 2.7.7 and then update to the latest 2.8.2, so it shouldn't take long, since it would download all files changed since 2.7.7, which came out Oct. 2nd, so it's not that many files.

Instead, with older versions, the base files were from more than a year ago, so an install from scratch would take very long just to update. That's why it would be useful to know which part was slow, the initial download or the update step.

amilcarnj

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 04:56:07 pm »
I downloaded the installer and hit download to Gsx pro. But it has been 10 hours since installing the gsx pro version I do not know the download speed since it is not showing but it has to be very low. I downloaded everything yesterday. The installer downloaded very fast but the  gsx program is taking forever to download- install. How big is gsx pro? It's now 87 percent getting there but wow almost 12 hours installation time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:58:17 pm by amilcarnj »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 07:29:19 pm »
Please re-read my previous explanation, where I said:

- it normally takes about 10 minutes on a 1gbit/s connection

- there's a main program install step, where some large ZIP files are downloaded, and there's an update step, where the installation is updated to the most current version.

The initial download is about 6GB so, again, 10-15 minutes at most with a 1Gb/s connection, then there's the update step, which now updates from 2.7.7 to 2.8.2, so it shouldn't be very long.

However, it's still not clear from your message WHICH step took so much time. From your screenshot, it seems the update, which is fact strange, because updating from 2.7.7 to 2.8.2 shouldn't take long.

tomwhoca

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 10:22:15 pm »
I have the same problem. It's been over 2 hours and it's at 27% now.

When I clicked on "Install" it showed 1 Update, which it downloaded quickly but then it moved on to this long download process. Don't know WHAT it's downloading tbh.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 11:46:55 pm »
I have the same problem. It's been over 2 hours and it's at 27% now.

You don't have the same problem. Most users reported a very fast installation speed after 2.8.3

When I clicked on "Install" it showed 1 Update, which it downloaded quickly but then it moved on to this long download process. Don't know WHAT it's downloading tbh.

That's the problem, it's updating lots of files which are surely already the latest version, as if it didn't started with the current version of the main ZIP files, but the previous one, suggesting your installer is outdated.

This won't make any difference, because in the end you WILL get the latest version, it's just that if your installer wasn't outdated, you would start from 2.8.3 already, so the update would be very fast, since it wouldn't have much to do.

You are now asking why you got the outdated installer, since the installer always updates itself. Most likely cause is the antivirus, which must have blocked the installer from updating itself.

tomwhoca

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 12:43:16 am »
Umberto, thank you so much for your kind reply.

The fact that a simple software/update download takes about 8 hours IS a problem, regardless of what kind of problem it is. It's not the download speed, btw, it's the time the installer needs to handle all the downloads - or whatever. It doesn't matter, I'll be patient and as long as it doesn't crash during the night, I can hopefully enjoy GSX tomorrow.

So, my crime was that I downloaded an old installer. It's interesting, since I just clicked on the link that was displayed to me after the purchase. That version shows 1.1.5.0. Is that up to date? I don't know.

Anyway, it can't be an Antivirus Software because no such thing is installed on my PC. It could be a virus then.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 12:57:24 am »
Anyway, it can't be an Antivirus Software because no such thing is installed on my PC. It could be a virus then.
Windows would have already came with Windows Defender, so you would still have something anyway.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 12:58:58 am »
So, my crime was that I downloaded an old installer.

I really don't know where, exactly, you ever read I'm saying it's your fault. And "crime", really? Re-read my reply again, carefully this time, and it should be obvious that nowhere I was hinting you made a mistake.

It's interesting, since I just clicked on the link that was displayed to me after the purchase. That version shows 1.1.5.0. Is that up to date? I don't know.

You are now referring to the FSDT Universal Installer, which is what Installs the Installer. That one is not the one doing the actual installation or download, it will just install the installer. It's the installer that might be outdated, because the current version installs already 2.8.3, so the update process you are in now should be very quick.

But again, the installer is SUPPOSED to update itself, that's the real issue and, again, NOWHERE I said it's "your fault", I said it might be the antivirus, which might have prevented the installer to update itself, which is what normally does when you start it, regardless how old it was.

I'm sure Windows Defender is installed, because it's almost impossible to remove it. That is an antivirus, and it might require configuration like any other 3rd party antivirus.

tomwhoca

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 01:26:46 am »
Apologies, Umberto. I misread your post and I see your point. If I'm honest, the whole process is a bit frustrating. You're right, I forgot about Windows Defender actually being an antivirus.

But, as I said, I am patiently waiting until tomorrow. I'm still excited for GSX and hopefully not many other users will have a long download process.

Festijn

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 05:31:03 pm »
Hello,

Is there any advice how to solve this slow update issue?
After 6 months off I'm updating via the installer but it took 2 hours to get to 20%
-> So I cancelled the update process
-> Strange enough the numbers for GSX PRO changed into 2.9.1 installed and 2.9.1 latest.
-> As I know I have cancelled the process this can't be correct
-> So I selected check again and the update process starts again.

However in one minute it reached 78% but now it's already taking 10 minutes to reach 79%.
I will let it continue for now but it's frustrating.

I hope there's another way to update GSX Pro.

Br,
Festijn

HeicoH

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 05:42:35 pm »
Try to run the Offline Installer (https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html), after that run the Live Updater again.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

Jonath0n

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 02:00:23 am »
I tried downloading from both the online and offline installer. I am now at hour 30 and at 29% with the offline installer. I have tried re-installing, both the launchers, and gsx multiple times. I have tried de-activating the subscription multiple times, and still to no avail. I have been trying for over a week to get it to download and still nothing.

If anyone knows a workaround other than an offline installer please let me know. I have had gsx pro working in the past and it took around an hour to download fully. My PC has since then had a few technical issues, but now that I'm back nothing seems to be working.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 04:01:31 pm »
A complete GSX install from scratch takes about 6 minutes with an 1Gb/s connection so, make your own proportions for the connection you have (ex: should take 1 hour with a 100Mb/s connection):

https://youtu.be/5oHiuDoZB1I

The Offline installer is NOT a replacement for the installer. You can't expect a 130MB installer would "replace" 6GB of downloaded stuff so, the one and only use for the Offline installer is to get you the latest GSX **code** if you suspect you are not getting the latest updates and it might cause errors.

But before you can even use the Offline installer, you must complete at least one full installation.

In the next updates, we'll have a faster **UPDATE** process, due to some optimizations in the way we connect to update many files but, it won't affect the installation. If your connection is slow during the first part, where it downloads the main ZIP files, it can only due to:

- An antivirus problem. Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder and try again

- A firewall problem. Disable the firewall or give explicit permission to the \Addon manager\Couatl_Updater2.exe to go online

- An issue with your ISP connecting to the Cloudflare network. As explained so many times, you never download directly from us, you download from your local Cloudflare node, which is selected automatically by Cloudflare based on your location.

If your ISP has routing issues on that node, the only possible way out is try with a VPN, which will let you connect to a different node and bypass your ISP routing.

giib

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2024, 06:42:32 am »
Started Install on a new PC yesterday 3rd July at 17:00 ish its now 4th July 05:40 and just reached 100% now its installing second part ( i hope )  which is at 16% .

Over 12hours is totally unexceptable !

*update * done 17hrs in total !!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 10:59:04 am by giib »