Author Topic: Can't set audio device (log included)  (Read 804 times)

mnieuwhof

Can't set audio device (log included)
« on: October 28, 2023, 11:28:55 am »
Hi, I can't change my audio due to a problem which does not lead me to a solution:
From the GSX.log (also attached):

Initializing audio...
Available devices:
  OpenAL Soft on Rode USB audio (RØDE AI-Micro)
  OpenAL Soft on DP1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
  OpenAL Soft on Luidsprekers (Razer USB Sound Card)
  OpenAL Soft on AI Noise-Canceling Speaker (ASUS Utility)
  OpenAL Soft on Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio)
  OpenAL Soft on Luidsprekers (THX Spatial Audio)
  Generic Software on Rode USB audio (RØDE AI-Micro)
  Generic Software on DP1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
  Generic Software on Luidsprekers (Razer USB Sound Card)
  Generic Software on AI Noise-Canceling Speaker (ASUS Utility)
  Generic Software on Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio)
  Generic Software on Luidsprekers (THX Spatial Audio)
Preferred device 'openal soft on rode usb audio (røde ai-micro)' not available, using default device
Preferred device 'openal soft on rode usb audio (røde ai-micro)' not available, using default device
Created OpenAL device: OpenAL Soft on Luidsprekers (THX Spatial Audio)

My Rode-ai-micro is my windows default audio device but I can't use the 'Generic' and the 'OpenAL' version.

Thank you,
Marc Nieuwhof
Marc Nieuwhof
EHAM/EHTE

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't set audio device (log included)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 09:17:15 pm »
There's something strange in your log and it is the fact you are seeing both "generic" and "openal" devices. The ones named "generic" are how they used to be referred to by the old OpenAL engine we used in previous versions, the updated version will always call them "openal" first, so you shouldn't see the generic ones anymore.

Is as if you had the old and the new OpenAL libraries running at the same time, which shouldn't happen, because the updater will remove any outdated OpenAL files, to prevent exactly this.

But this might not be the real issue why your Rode audio device can't be used. Are you able to select any of the others? If yes, my suspicion is that is caused by the device NAME itself, which is called RØDE, using a non-ascii character. We had a similar report from a user in China with an audio device with a Chinese, which caused a similar problem, so we might need to account for that.