Author Topic: Mythbusters Sonic Boom ride on F-18  (Read 5637 times)

GR27

Mythbusters Sonic Boom ride on F-18
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »
What do you think will happen to a glass window when an F-18 of the Blue Angels will fly at an altitude of 200 feet and speed above Mach 1 above it?

&feature=related

I love the Mythbusters.
 8)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:12:14 pm by GR27 »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Mythbusters Sonic Boom ride on F-18
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:40:30 am »
Those guys rock. I wish I had such a job...  ;D
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:44 pm »
Kina long but it was fun watching.

tifosi77

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:36:41 pm »
I saw that episode, and I'm a little curious about their methods in this one.  Most aviation buffs have heard the stories about demonstration pilots pulling whoopsies in the late 50s and early 60s and going sonic at airshows, resulting in much calamity on the ground.  One famous story was with either the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels on an early trip to South America (I want to say Brazil), and bang they broke the sound barrier.  Car and house windows for thousands of yards were blown out.  But instead of precipitating an international incident, the show organizers and political wonks in attendance said it was one of the coolest things they had ever seen. (Or heard, as it were)

If you've ever heard a sonic boom, you really don't have a hard time believing they can cause a ruckus.  ;D  When they have the open house airshow at Edwards AFB they usually start the show by sending an F-16 30,000 up over the field and breaking the number.  Five and a half miles below, it's still startling when the double bang-pop hits.

Paco

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:23 pm »

If you've ever heard a sonic boom, you really don't have a hard time believing they can cause a ruckus.  ;D  When they have the open house airshow at Edwards AFB they usually start the show by sending an F-16 30,000 up over the field and breaking the number.  Five and a half miles below, it's still startling when the double bang-pop hits.

When I was a kid growing up in North Dakota, in the days before X-Box and computers, we used to play outside with real live people.  Can't remember how many times while playing baseball at the local field, we would hear the boom-boom of the jets from Minot AFB.  Made me want to join the military and become a pilot.  Funny how things work out.

Paco