Author Topic: Difference between FSDT Live Update and Update via FSDT Installer ?  (Read 2047 times)

whiggy

Hello guys!
What is the difference between the "FSDT Live Update" and update function via "FSDT Installer" ?

Yesterday I updated my GSX Pro from 2.7.8 to 2.7.9 with the normal "Update" function of the FSDT Installer app. After this, I was not longer able to start GSX ingame MSFS without crash.
After running the "FSDT Live Update", the crashes are gone.

My question is now, should I always use "FSDT Live Update" instead the Update funktion for updating GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Difference between FSDT Live Update and Update via FSDT Installer ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 12:01:11 pm »
They are exactly the same program (same .EXE), just with a different user interface that changes depending on the icon you start it with.

However, what the Live Update does, is the same as if you pressed the "Update All" button in the Installer interface, and this function does some extra cleaning of wrong settings in your system, which might explain why you see a difference that, under normal situations shouldn't be there.

Some of these settings are related to clearing some registry settings by wrong compatibility flags Windows might have set to "help" you starting a program that might not have started, or crashed, for any reason, which we reset back to default, fixing the issue.

Egbert Drenth

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 08:28:37 pm »
I have a question related to this.

Both when I click on the 'Updated All' or 'Check' button in the installer, it always starts to download files from the server,
as if it continuously is out of date.
Is that by design?

After re-clicking the update button, I would have expected a message like 'Your version is up-to-date'
It is a bit confusing. (My currently version is 2.8.7)

Egbert Drenth

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 10:03:25 pm »
Both when I click on the 'Updated All' or 'Check' button in the installer, it always starts to download files from the server, as if it continuously is out of date.

It depends which files. Some of them are supposed to be always downloaded, and the updater will say that, using the "always downloaded" sentence next to their description.

They are also being discussed here, explaining the reason why they are always downloaded.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html

So yes, some kind of files are supposed to be always downloaded.

The issue is, if OTHER files, which are not indicated with the aforementioned "always downloaded" terminology are downloaded over and over, this might indicate a problem with your local cloudflare node that hasn't got the latest files, so the updater knows they are new, but they haven't been replicated on your local cloudflare node yet.

THIS is an indication you might need the Offline installer, which will at least get you the latest code, since it runs offline, and that's why the explanation why some files are normal to be "always downloaded" and some aren't, it's in the Offline installer Sticky thread.

After re-clicking the update button, I would have expected a message like 'Your version is up-to-date'

The "Update" button will turn into a "Check" button, that's your signal you at least tried to complete an update, in case you didn't pay attention on the two version numbers that would be now equal so, with those two indications, an extra confirmation is not really useful, since you have both the versions matching clearly visible and the Update button that has become a "Check" if they do, making it absolutely clear that, you *should* be updated.

"Should" because, as explained so many times, there's no way to really know if each file you have installed is really updated, unless you check them one by one. Which, of course, is exactly what the "Check" function does, which even if it's really doing the same operation as when it was called "Update", it changes its name to clarify what it means.

Also, the "Check" button is there not "just" because you might get an outdated file from the internet due to internet caching, but ALSO in case you either removed a file or it got corrupted, or you edited and wanted to go back to the original version. 

There are plenty of reasons why, even if you are not affected by a delay in the nodes replication, you might still need a Check function, which of course is not something we made up, Steam has an identical feature to check the integrity of your local files and restore the missing/corrupted ones and, if the program tried to be less "confusing" by DISABLING the Check button if it *thinks* you have the latest version (because the version number matches), you wouldn't be able to restore a file that got lost/changed/corrupted, not until the next time we released a new update, and your only option would be a complete uninstall/reinstall.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 10:05:16 pm by virtuali »