Author Topic: GSX not working at all airports on newly built PC system  (Read 1183 times)

RobSmith

GSX not working at all airports on newly built PC system
« on: October 08, 2023, 12:33:41 am »
Hello support:

I already have read the posts about "GSX has been disabled at this airport due to user settings" and followed the directions but to no avail. I have spent over three days trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Background:

I scratch built a new computer system with Windows 10 and MSFS 2020 SU13. Everything working perfectly including other add-ons except GSX PRO. GSX PRO was working perfectly on my old computer system (MSFS 2020 version) without having to touch anything (not even excluding the directory in the Windows Security program.

I am running GSX PRO 2.7.8 and have re-run the FSDT live update module too. I have uninstalled and re-installed, but no luck.

The only "anti-virus" software in use is the Windows Security software that comes with Windows 10. Yes, I have entered in exceptions for the directory where GSX is installed, including MSFS 2020 and the Community folder. I have even fully disabled Windows Security and still come up with the same error.

Windows 10 is fully updated as with all drivers for my new system.

As a former PC technician, I know that the littlest things cause the greatest problems. So....

1. Could there be a a MSFS 2020 setting that is interfering with GSX? (Maybe due to SU13?)
2. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanking you in advance for any help you can provide. I really enjoy using GSX and now I am ready to pull my hair out!!! LOL!!!!!

Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not working at all airports on newly built PC system
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 10:51:12 pm »
Please clarify if this happens on only some specific airports, or everywhere.

RobSmith

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 04:14:45 am »
Hello:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

To answer your question, "yes," it was happening at ALL airports.

I said that the littlest of things cause the major issues. Well, I finally had a thought. I ran the COUATL script executable as an "administrator" and then fired up MSFS 2020. GSX works!!!!! It had nothing to do with firewalls or anti-virus software.

On my system, I have two accounts. The administrator account and the "user" account without admin privileges. From my security experience, I always use the user account to run everything. What I didn't know was that COUATL requires full admin privileges so that you don't get the dreaded "GSX has been disabled at this airport due to user setting."

So, if any of you out there has a two account system on your PC, you need to right-click on the COUATL icon and "run as administrator."

Phew...what a three day ordeal trying to figure this out. Anyway, I am a happy camper now!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 11:52:15 am »
On my system, I have two accounts. The administrator account and the "user" account without admin privileges. From my security experience, I always use the user account to run everything. What I didn't know was that COUATL requires full admin privileges so that you don't get the dreaded "GSX has been disabled at this airport due to user setting."

Couatl doesn't need any admin permission to run, this is not the problem.

The problem is the FSDT Installer surely needs admin permissions because it must install libraries required to work and verify some settings and set some permission that won't work without admin permission.

The real issue is, the FSDT Installers is what does the Activation, and the activation is by-user so, when you are activating from the FSDT Installer, you are the administrator, but when you **run** GSX in the sim, you are another user, which is running without a license.

So yes, even if running Couatl as admin might have "fixed" the problem for you (of course, now the user that runs Couatl is the same that used the Installer to activate), that's not the best solution, because we noticed side effects when doing this.

A better solution is, instead, activate your regular user instead, as explained here:

"How to Get GSX Pro Working for MSFS 2020 in Non-admin Account"

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,28730.msg187338.html#msg187338

RobSmith

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 05:52:37 pm »
Thank you! I didn't know this document existed. I followed the directions (the PDF file) that came with GSX Pro but was unaware that you had this informative document!!!

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Robert