Author Topic: Trying to install GSX Pro after Key activation - Download is crawling  (Read 1692 times)

falcon999

Trying to install and download has taken over an hour and not finished.  My Internet is fine.  Never been this slow in the past.  All other downloads today are normal.  I am located in the Chicago area.

Can you turn up the bandwidth a bit?  :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 08:34:29 pm by falcon999 »

coxo2436

Re: Trying to install GSX Pro after Key activation - Download is crawling
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 10:52:40 pm »
yeh 5 hours for me and still only up to "fsdreateam-gsx-pro-v2.77.zip 003
what hve they done ???
win11 msfs2020 beta 1.27.18.0amd ryzen 5600g gforce rtx 2060 super
GSX Pro installed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 11:03:55 pm »
This is of course normal, as the release notes say:

GSX Pro Installer: Installing GSX Pro from scratch will download packages updated to 2.7.7 which will result in a faster install.

Now, since we *JUST* uploaded these files and, of course, you are NOT downloading from us directly ( if you could, our server would crash immediately as soon we release an update ), you are downloading from the Cloudflare node closest to you, what happens in the FIRST FEW DAYS after such big release of large files is that, in order for the nodes closest to you, the first user of that node WILL in fact download directly from us, but from the 2nd user onward, all users of that node will then download from that node, which will of course be *way* faster.

Since Cloudflare has 270+ nodes worldwide, it will take a few days before they'll all replicated the new .ZIP file we just released, because we need at least one user for each node in order to do that.

Now the obvious benefits of this, after the replication will complete:

- BEFORE this update, everybody installing GSX from scratch, would first have to download the basic ZIP files for the 0.1.0 version, which has been the base version since last August 2022 when GSX came out, but THEN he'll would have to wait for a VERY long Update process, to get all the latest files that would bring him to version 2.7.7 and, considering that we changed so many things in the meantime, the first Update would take much longer than the actual download of the base version.

- AFTER this update, when all Cloudflare nodes would complete their replication, everybody will download from Cloudflare again, so the download of the base installation will be as fast as it always was, but now the update process would be WAY quicker, because you would start from 2.7.7 already, meaning the next updates will be very short, and so will be future reinstalls.

So, you just have to be patient and endure slow downloads for a few days, but it will so much better in the future.

virtualstuff

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 11:09:56 pm »
Well was going for a new reinstall of 2.7.7 since the pax isn't visible bug... ouch newbie mistake...   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 11:14:10 pm »
Well was going for a new reinstall of 2.7.7 since the pax isn't visible bug... ouch newbie mistake...   

Regardless of what you did, if you made an update or a total reinstall before we fixed it ( that is a few minutes ago ), you would still have the bug. And regardless of what you do now (update or reinstall), you won't see that bug because...we fixed it.

virtualstuff

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 11:15:49 pm »
Yep that's what I said a newbie mistake...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 11:20:25 pm »
Yep that's what I said a newbie mistake...

Not really, you didn't do anything wrong, we didn't noticed that bug in time for release, so we fixed it now.

falcon999

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 02:16:36 am »
While I can appreciate this explanation, it doesn't add up.  I uninstalled FSDT Houston by accident and I had to reinstall it.  This hasn't been updated in a very long time and that download was crawling as well.

I am trying to install 2.7.7 again now, many hours after release, and zip001 very fast, zip002 fairly fast, zip003 slow, zip004 crawling, zip005 crawling, zip006 barely moving.  I canceled because I don't have hours to let this try to download.

Again looks like cloudflare is having issues in central US?  If your paying them for this service, maybe ask them to assist?

I have 1.2gb down, yes I just tested it (990mb to Comcast server), so I know it isn't me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 12:41:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 01:17:30 pm »
While I can appreciate this explanation, it doesn't add up.  I uninstalled FSDT Houston by accident and I had to reinstall it.  This hasn't been updated in a very long time and that download was crawling as well.

It surely adds up. You are assuming that, just because you don't see a version change in the scenery, the base ZIP files hasn't been updated in a long time, which is not the case, since we updated the base ZIP files for KIAH a couple of weeks ago so, as I've said, if you are the first downloader of those in **your** local cloudflare node, it WILL be slow, because you are the one triggering a refresh for that node.

I am trying to install 2.7.7 again now, many hours after release, and zip001 very fast, zip002 fairly fast, zip003 slow, zip004 crawling, zip005 crawling, zip006 barely moving.  I canceled because I don't have hours to let this try to download.

I fired up my VPN, and I connected to a VPN node in Chicago. Full download and installation took about 10 minutes here.

If your paying them for this service, maybe ask them to assist?

The problem is, because of the obvious due diligence in reply to users complaining about slow download, we did this many times but, what really happens is that, since they usually take 2-3 days to reply, by the time they reply, the problem is gone *because* that's exactly what is supposed to happen, when all the nodes are refreshed with the new files, so I don't have any evidence to show slow downloads, and they invariably reply that yes, with 6GB that need to be updated across 270 nodes, slow downloads are expected the first few days.

I have 1.2gb down, yes I just tested it (990mb to Comcast server), so I know it isn't me.

Then I suggest just trying again because, even the downloads you canceled would have triggered your local cloudflare node to complete the download from our original site, so I'm sure if you try again now, it will be faster.