Author Topic: FSDT Installer won't launch  (Read 2298 times)

alexberry

FSDT Installer won't launch
« on: September 06, 2023, 01:59:18 pm »
As a long-time user of GSX Pro along with other FSDT airport sceneries, I like to occasionally run the FSDT Installer app to check for any updates.  It's never failed me, but today, when I try to launch it, I get the briefest of Install windows, before the process stops and the Installer fails to launch properly.

WebMaximus

Re: FSDT Installer won't launch
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 02:02:25 pm »
I'm seeing the exact same issue over here, how both FSDT Installer and FSDT Live Update fail to launch.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 04:39:33 pm »
- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the EXCLUSIONS

- Run the FSDT Installer again, and choose Update

- If that doesn't work, try the Offline installer instead.

alexberry

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 08:02:17 pm »
Thanks.  Reconfiguring Antivirus made no difference.  The Addons Manager folder was already excluded anyway.

However, running the Offline Installer has fixed the problem, and the FSDT Installer now launches properly.

Danimalpm

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 10:17:43 pm »
Same issue for me. It will launch once after re-installation but then won't launch again.
Dan Kwiatkowski

Kevlar01

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 10:25:38 pm »
Just wanted to add my two cents that I am also consistently seeing this issue.  If I uninstall and re-install using the offline installer it will work normally exactly 1 time, however every subsequent attempt will crash without the update process being run (and no error messages generated).  I have not made any recent changes to my folder structure or AV permissions (Addon Manager folder was already excluded anyway) that would explain from my side why the update process stopped working.

thedrsky125

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 11:49:43 pm »
I'm experiencing the same exact issue. Never had any problem with the updater. Today, I tried to launch it to update to the latest GSX version and the updater does not open. I tried to run both the live updater and the installer. Same behavior for both: the installation window pops up, then disappears.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 02:19:55 pm »
- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the EXCLUSIONS

- Run the FSDT Installer again, and choose Update

- If that doesn't work, try the Offline installer instead.

- If that still doesn't work:

1) Uninstall the FSDT Universal Installer from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Download the current version from our site of the Universal Installer, and reinstall it again.

3) If that doesn't work, restart Windows and try again.

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 03:45:43 pm »
After downloading and running the Offline Intaller, I was able to run the FSDT Installer. I was told currently installed version was 2.7.1 so I chose the Update button and GSX was successfully updated to 2.7.3.

After this, I close FSDT Installer and was able to then launch it again. So looks like running the Offline Installer once fixed the issue 👍
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 11:44:11 pm »
After this, I close FSDT Installer and was able to then launch it again. So looks like running the Offline Installer once fixed the issue

If this was fixed that way, the most likely causes were probably:

1) your antivirus/firewall blocking the Live Update but not the Offline installer.

That's because the offline installer, being "offline", doesn't download anything, so it's less likely to trigger antivirus heuristics that, instead of trusting a digital signature as they are supposed to, it prefers to rely on unreliable behavior pattern like "it's downloading something, it might be dangerous"

2) your local cloudflare node not updated to the latest version.

Both issues are the reason why an offline installer exists but, something like not even starting, it's more likely issue #1 because even if you didn't get the very latest updater, the previous one surely worked so, it's more likely it was prevented to start.

WebMaximus

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 11:50:55 pm »
Adding the Addon Manager to the exclusion list didn't fix the issue. It was only after running the offline installer I was able to launch the FSDT Installer.

Also an interesting coincidence how we were a couple of guys in here suddenly experiencing the same issue at the same time.

Anyway, good thing it's now working normally again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 11:53:04 pm by WebMaximus »
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 03:27:33 pm »
Adding the Addon Manager to the exclusion list didn't fix the issue. It was only after running the offline installer I was able to launch the FSDT Installer.

That doesn't conflict in any way my previous explanation about the different antivirus reactions to something that "downloads something" compared to something that doesn't.

WebMaximus

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 03:34:12 pm »
I understand the offline installer doesn't download anything. What I said was how the FSDT Installer only would work after I first downloaded and ran the offline installer once.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 03:53:37 pm »
What I said was how the FSDT Installer only would work after I first downloaded and ran the offline installer once.

Which again doesn't conflict in any way with my previous explanation: the updater is normally supposed to "update itself" since as soon as you start it (provided you start it with its Desktop Icon), it will check the internet and download a new version of the 2nd-stage updater, the one that really does the actual job of updating, which is being started as soon its downloaded.

If your antivirus decided to stop the "downloaded updater", but not the one included in the offline installer ( because it wasn't "downloaded" ) it would precisely explain why you had to run the offline installer to have the updater working.

WebMaximus

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 04:09:27 pm »
Ok, whatever you say Umberto 🙂

I'm just happy being able to use the FSDT Installer again.
Richard Åsberg