Author Topic: Pushback truck disappearing after pushback, only towbar visible  (Read 1101 times)

karspilot

Hi, when my pushback has finished and the pushback truck returns to it's place, it diseappears after some 50 meter and only the towbar is moving and visibly returning to the parking position.

Anything we can do about this?

kingnorris

Re: Pushback truck disappearing after pushback, only towbar visible
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 12:11:33 am »
Not that I know of. I have the same issue; have had it since I got the add on.

Doesn't bother me too much; by that point I'm focused on startup. Lol

HeicoH

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 02:46:10 am »
"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

For some reason, FSDT decided to display truck and bar as two different items.

At some distance, your camera is too far away from the truck, so it disappears. But the camera is not too far away from the bar, so you still can see it.

You have to reduce the amount of other items in your sim (e.g. AI traffic) to have all GSX items being displayed even at certain distances. 
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

karspilot

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 06:49:52 am »
So you mean the draw distance of the truck is dynamically decided by the sim, based upon resources available?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 03:14:20 pm »
For some reason, FSDT decided to display truck and bar as two different items.

The obvious reason for having the towbar separated from the truck, gives many benefits:

- There's no unnecessary duplication of polygons and textures, which would otherwise result if each pushback truck included its own copy of the same toolbar. This saves memory AND fps.

- We are allowing the simulator to eventually optimize the truck and the towbar separately, using object instancing, because it can sense the same toolbar is used many times, so it will only load one copy of it in memory, because IT IS a separate object. Instead, if it was included in each truck model, they would be seen as different, so the simulator would waste memory AND fps to load many times something that might have been loaded only once.

- Some trucks are used (as in real life) in more than one context. For example, the same Tug M1A can be used to Tow an airplane, but also as the front truck of a Baggage loading train. By having the vehicle and the Towbar separated, we don't have to create two completely different models of the same truck, with or without a towbar, but only two variations, which are easier on memory and disk space, and are easier to keep updated separately.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 03:18:31 pm »
So you mean the draw distance of the truck is dynamically decided by the sim, based upon resources available?

More or less, but not exactly.

We decide the LOD switch based on the object size (not really distance, but size in pixel), but what the simulator changes, is that reported size, which is affected by several things like aspect ratio AND most importantly Zoom factor. If the zoom is set too wide, the sizes reported will be different from the ones we expected to see, which were tuned using what is considered a "natural" zoom setting, which is about 60-70.

karspilot

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 11:56:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I fully understand this rather technical explanation, but to me the disappearing tow truck (even at normal zoom levels) is rather non-immersive, so I would like to ask to make the draw distance longer or maybe offering an option to set this.

layercom

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 12:21:17 am »
I have the same issue, even created a thread with almost same topic subject,

I would like if possible have an option to overwrite this atleast for the tow truck it really sucks when it disapears.

I hope this is possible in the future.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 05:43:19 pm »
Please re-read my previous explanation why this is not as simple as it sounds. Keep in mind, the tow truck won't disappear if you use a natural zoom setting, which is where we tuned the LODs to, about 60-70.