Author Topic: GSX Causes Touchdown Stutter  (Read 4931 times)

Mejjo

GSX Causes Touchdown Stutter
« on: June 18, 2023, 11:27:38 pm »
Hi there

I have spent many hours testing a variety of things within MSFS and have come to a conclusion on the testing i have done.
With GSX installed and linked to the sim i get a stutter on every touchdown i make in any aircraft. Its literally as soon as the wheels make contact with the runway.
Whenever GSX is not linked to MSFS the stutters do not happen, I have tested many landings at different airports with the exact same settings.

GSX is a must for me to use in Flight Sim, It would be a great help if you could point me in the direction for a way to work around this. I am baffled why GSX is causing this but it is nothing else. I have tested with just GSX as the only add-on installed. Does GSX load or do anything within the sim upon landing?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Causes Touchdown Stutter
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 06:51:22 pm »
If you pre-select a Gate in GSX before landing, it will load the objects as soon you touch down, this because it's not possible to place them correctly on ground, when the ground hasn't loaded yet, because you are still far away from the airport.

If you don't pre-select a Gate in GSX, it's not doing anything after you touch down, so it cannot possibly cause any effect.

Mejjo

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 07:07:34 pm »
If you pre-select a Gate in GSX before landing, it will load the objects as soon you touch down, this because it's not possible to place them correctly on ground, when the ground hasn't loaded yet, because you are still far away from the airport.

If you don't pre-select a Gate in GSX, it's not doing anything after you touch down, so it cannot possibly cause any effect.

Hey,

I don't pre select any gates prior to landing. I did not think GSX did anything when landing unless its selected so this is why i am very baffled. I have today done 2 flights with GSX and had a stutter on touchdown, Also 2 flights with GSX unlinked and had no stutters.

Wouldn't matter if GSX is not installed on C drive would it? Trying to think of what on earth could be causing it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 07:15:33 pm »
If you are not preselecting a gate, then GSX is not doing anything different after landing, until you finally select a gate which means, since it's not doing anything, it clearly won't matter which drive is installed into.

Note that, even GSX is not doing anything on its own, it has replaced all default ground vehicles, so it might be possible that on some cases those might be created by the simulator itself and, while they are highly optimized ( I'd say they are even better optimized than default vehicles ), they are more detailed at their highest LODs so, depending on where they are in relationship to your position, if you are seeing many of the better LODs when touching down, they might affect performance more than default, that's why you might have noticed an improvement when unlinking GSX.

Instead of unlinking GSX, just Quit from the Couatl engine before landing. If that doesn't make any difference, it's just the objects being used as replacements for default entering in view.

Mejjo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:37:38 pm »
If you are not preselecting a gate, then GSX is not doing anything different after landing, until you finally select a gate which means, since it's not doing anything, it clearly won't matter which drive is installed into.

Note that, even GSX is not doing anything on its own, it has replaced all default ground vehicles, so it might be possible that on some cases those might be created by the simulator itself and, while they are highly optimized ( I'd say they are even better optimized than default vehicles ), they are more detailed at their highest LODs so, depending on where they are in relationship to your position, if you are seeing many of the better LODs when touching down, they might affect performance more than default, that's why you might have noticed an improvement when unlinking GSX.

Instead of unlinking GSX, just Quit from the Couatl engine before landing. If that doesn't make any difference, it's just the objects being used as replacements for default entering in view.

Hi Umberto

I hope you are well. I have done some more testing to this issue ( many hours ) For me the stutter only happens when GSX unlinked. If i quit Couatl then the stutter on touchdown will remain. With GSX not linked its incredibly smooth.
There has to be something here that would cause this. I just want to assure you that i have done vast testing on this to say with certainty its only when i have GSX linked.

I have the addon manager / GSX installed to my F drive. Obviously it asks for default on C first of all. That is really the only thing i can say i have done different with GSX.

AlexKo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 10:44:57 am »
Hi Mejjo and Umberto.

First of all thank you Mejjo for your investigation. This issue happened during my flights too. The touchdown stutters made me crazy because it ruined the best part of the flight - landing. Yes, I have many other addons (mostly sceneries) and I have tried everything else according to the other people investigations, I even removed all effects that can be related to touchdown phase (sounds, smokes, fsRealistic) but it didn't help me. Then I found this topic and tried to unlink GSX from the MSFS, and finally I could get rid of this annoying touchdown stutters!

Unfortunately I need to stop using GSX because smooth landing is more important for me than marshals, stairs, pushback etc. I hope FSDT team can identify the issue and fix it in the future updates but before that the GSX is unusable for me.

Michael Moe

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 09:38:01 pm »
Hi all ,

If i recall corectly i remember a time where when we could load a gate under FL100/10000 feet we made a better chance of not having stutters in P3D on touchdowns.
It this was related to VRAM i dont know but i think i was related to things getting loaded into memory at a certain distance .

Can you remember that Umberto ? This might not be the case at every airport ?

Michael Moe

I havent had these problems in MSFS yet btw.

Justinthomas7

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 04:41:21 pm »
Just a suggestion, perhaps instead of loading once sim is on ground, also wait until user aircraft speed is under 60 knots. 

I only have problems pre selecting, if I don’t it works fine.   But I would like to preselect. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 01:58:47 pm »
Unfortunately I need to stop using GSX because smooth landing is more important for me than marshals, stairs, pushback etc. I hope FSDT team can identify the issue and fix it in the future updates but before that the GSX is unusable for me.

If you are pre-selecting a gate in GSX, the correct solution to this is not, of course, uninstalling GSX but, instead, select again after taxiing. We'll consider adding an option to delay creation of GSX vehicles for the pre-selected gate later after touchdown.

kavs8

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 02:25:46 am »

If you are pre-selecting a gate in GSX, the correct solution to this is not, of course, uninstalling GSX but, instead, select again after taxiing. We'll consider adding an option to delay creation of GSX vehicles for the pre-selected gate later after touchdown.

This would be great I have verified I no longer have touchdown stutters when Couatl is off.

erelis

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 01:00:56 pm »
Hello ,

I think couati (GSX) causes not only stutters, but CTD too , i often get this errors :

Faulting application name: couatl64_MSFS.exe, version: 4.8.0.5251, time stamp: 0x648730d4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2215, time stamp: 0x7a9f67f2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c319
Faulting process id: 0x0x2910
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9D75E3662A610
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe... etc.

it happens very often.. with no reason , during flight or on approach phase...

Regars

Harold

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 10:18:28 am »
I think couati (GSX) causes not only stutters, but CTD too , i often get this errors :

This has been discussed so many times on the forum, you are being mislead by the event viewer and are assuming that, just because you see Couatl crashed, it was the cause of your MSFS crash, but it's not.

The couatl engine, as an .EXE, doesn't have ANY access to the Flightsimulator.exe process, meaning it cannot possibly cause a crash. This is granted by the OS at the lowest level, and programs that don't attach to a process like debuggers ( and Couatl surely doesn't ) and/or are not lower level services or drivers, simply cannot crash other apps.

On the other hand, when Flight simulator crashes for any other reason, it will abruptly disconnect its communication with the Couatl program, which is waiting for a proper "quit" command ( which hasn't arrived, because the sim crashed ), to exit cleanly.

So, what really happened here, is that MSFS crashed for another completely unrelated reason, and it MADE Couatl crash too, because of the unexpected disconnection, and you are being mislead assuming Couatl has something to do with it, because you are seeing it referenced in the event viewer.

As discussed in this other post:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,29540.msg191735.html#msg191735

If you checked the timestamps of the Event, it's likely you'll see that Flightsimulator.exe crashed BEFORE Couatl64_MSFS.exe, which means it was the simulator that made GSX crash, not the other way around.

AlexKo

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 09:22:08 pm »

I have never pre-selected any Gate before touchdown. Truly say, I hadn't even known that such possibility exists before read this topic. But touchdown stutters occurred every flight.
After uninstalling GSX I performed many flight and wasn't faced with stutters.

kavs8

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 09:20:59 pm »

I have never pre-selected any Gate before touchdown. Truly say, I hadn't even known that such possibility exists before read this topic. But touchdown stutters occurred every flight.
After uninstalling GSX I performed many flight and wasn't faced with stutters.

Similar here, hopefully a delayed Couatl activation can be incorporated - I never pre select gate prior to touchdown but I get these stutters regardless - Does not exist with Couatl deactivated. 

kavs8

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2023, 04:41:08 pm »
The only way I have been able to remove this stutter which occurs on every single touchdown is to unlink GSX and simply not use it.

A process is occurring from GSX on touchdown that is causing a stutter (I for the avoidance of doubt am not pre-selecting a gate before arrival).