Author Topic: GSX 2.6.2 Unhandled Exception  (Read 1263 times)

Sybeck

GSX 2.6.2 Unhandled Exception
« on: June 09, 2023, 02:49:15 pm »
So using the updater to update to 2.6.2 it started and then stopped with the error message (see attachment) 'unhandled exception' and neither 'quit' nor 'continue' could unfreeze the screen and I had to close it through task manager.  Googling the specific error gave no solution to the problem.  Other GSX users I know said that similar things had happened to them during updates and that an uninstall and reinstall fixed it.  This seemed plausible as the error says there is a corrupted or unreadable file.

So I hit the uninstall button and it de-linked GSX from my Community folder and then asked if I wanted to totally uninstall, which I chose after running update and it failing again.  However, just before completing the process it stopped and said it was unable to uninstall because of a corrupted or unreadable file and I had to exit through Task Manager again.

When restarting the updater there was no uninstall button and the install button was now ready to use.  So I hit install and it downloaded the 5 zip files.  However, when it's about 80% through unzipping the first file it stops and says it cannot install as there is an error uncompressing the archive due to lack of space in the temp folder or a corrupted file; there is 15gig of free space on the drive that the temp folder sits on.  Checking that free space though I noticed that the entirety of my original GSX had not been uninstalled through the previous uninstall attempt.  So I tried to manually uninstall it.  Google search suggested I do it through Windows Control Panel, but there is no entry for FSDT or GSX anywhere in the list of programs.

So I just selected the FSDT folder in Explorer and hit delete and it went through the whole bar progression process of deleting items, finished normally, but the FSDT and all of its contents were still there!  I can cut and paste out and it seems delete individual folder/files within the Addon Manager folder, but not the Addon folder itself.  I am reluctant now to go through deleting every single item by hand.

Any suggestions/solutions/questions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX 2.6.2 Unhandled Exception
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 03:11:34 pm »
That error seems to indicate "something" is blocking access to GSX *own* installation folder, which of course is not normal, since the installer has created the folder itself. The only thing that can possibly do that is the antivirus so, just do as follows:

- Configure the antivirus and add the whole Addon Manager folder to the Antivirus Exclusions.

15GB on the Windows temporary folder is not much ( you are at risk of crashes with so little space left, it's enough the Swap file would grow a bit larger than your RAM, and it will surely crash Windows if it happens ) so, the first thing to do, is using the Windows free space Wizard to see if it can help you free some extra space, perhaps removing unused temporary files.

So I just selected the FSDT folder in Explorer and hit delete and it went through the whole bar progression process of deleting items, finished normally, but the FSDT and all of its contents were still there!  I can cut and paste out and it seems delete individual folder/files within the Addon Manager folder, but not the Addon folder itself.  I am reluctant now to go through deleting every single item by hand.

This report indicates the antivirus that has blocked the GSX installer access to its own folder, has blocked access to YOU as well, so it won't let you remove the whole FSDT folder.

To uninstall everything and try again after you fix your pesky intrusive antivirus, you should do as follows:

- Uninstall the FSDT Installer from the Windows Control Panel. Yes, it's there, it's called "Fsdreamteam Universal Installer". Doing this from the Control Panel, will allow you to select a different folder for the next reinstallation so, if you have another drive with lots of space available, you can use that instead, so you might be able to complete the installation even with only 15GBs left on C:, which in that case will only be used to uncompress temporary files, and the space will be reclaimed at the end.

- If you still have the Addon Manager folder, try to remove it manually and, if you still can't, REBOOT Windows and try again.

- Now you can reinstall the FSDT Universal Installer and, this time, if you have another drive with more space, select THAT as a destination instead of c: As an example, if you have a drive named D:\, just select D:\ and this will result in all FSDT products ending in D:\Addon Manager, and this is perfectly fine, since we only use Symbolic links to the Community folders, and only for folders that needs that, so the location of the Addon Manager itself, is completely irrelevant to where you installed MSFS.

- Be sure you add this new folder ( assuming you installed in a new folder this time ) to the Antivirus EXCLUSIONS.

- After the  FSDT Universal Installer, you can now installing GSX Pro again.

Sybeck

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 04:32:41 pm »
Thank you for your reply,

I should have clarified in my first post that FSDT/Addon Manager sits on my D Drive and has 176 gb of space to use.  Since the zip files were being downloaded to the temp folder on my C drive and failing to unzip I gave info on that drive, which in retrospect I think I could have made clearer.

In response to your proposed solution I have excluded the FSDT folder (see attachment) and restarted PC and still cannot remove/delete either the FSDT folder or Addon Manager folder.  Also, (see attachment) I do not have "Fsdreamteam Universal Installer" listed in the Windows Control Panel.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 05:08:10 pm »
I should have clarified in my first post that FSDT/Addon Manager sits on my D Drive and has 176 gb of space to use.  Since the zip files were being downloaded to the temp folder on my C drive and failing to unzip I gave info on that drive, which in retrospect I think I could have made clearer.

Then you really need to free up some extra space on C:

Also, (see attachment) I do not have "Fsdreamteam Universal Installer" listed in the Windows Control Panel.

It will surely be there if you installed it, and the only possible reasons why it's not there, it's because you already uninstalled it, or you never installed in the first place. Of course, if you reinstall it again now, you can confirm it will end up in the Windows Control Panel list of uninstallable products.

still cannot remove/delete either the FSDT folder or Addon Manager folder

That's not very clear. Why you can't delete a folder ? I'm sure you must see some kind of error message.

Sybeck

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 06:14:31 pm »
1.  I'll work on clearing space, but I believe that 15gb is enough for an eventual 4.46gb folder and as a test I just unzipped a folder that has 11gb of eventual content on it to the same drive and it worked fine.

2. As I said in my first post I used the updater's own uninstall button and it was progressing to virtually the end when it threw up an error.  Could it have wiped the Windows Control Panel listing?  It wiped the uninstall button from the updater and now there is an install button so it definitely did change something during the process.  I certainly never used the Windows Control Panel option in this process or ever before as I have never needed to uninstall GSX before this.

3.  As regards the manual delete not working I recorded a video of myself doing it, but my post won't post here with the video attached.  So I've quickly thrown it on YouTube, quality is a bit potato because I rushed, but you can see me trying to manually delete both FSDT main folder and the Addon Manager sub folder the process working as expected and then all files remaining afterwards with no Window error message.

https://youtu.be/s0kGLZIZAF0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 03:32:19 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 03:38:23 am »
Your video shows something very wrong is going on, and of course it fully explain any issues. Basically, it seems deleting the folder from Explorer doesn't do anything.

This, of course, cannot possibly caused by any of our software or install because there, you are in plain Windows Explorer, if you can't remove a folder, something is not right ( I am assuming you are not trying to remove the folder while the FSDT Installer is running, right ? )

Does Shift+Del works ? That removes a folder without passing from the Recycle Bin. Another thing you can try, is to boot Windows in Safe Mode and try removing the folder in that way.