Author Topic: simwings EDDH  (Read 779 times)

5lacker

simwings EDDH
« on: May 21, 2023, 03:15:46 pm »
Hello,

I bought different airport with many tools. SOmetimes ORBX, sometimes Contrail, etc....
With each instalelr the airport folder names are sometimes strange. Therefor my plan ist to change all folders, to ICAO and version number:
For example simwings-eddh -> EDDH 1.0.2

After doing that GSX ist't recognizeing the airport anymore. I have lots of gate positions, sometimes doubleing.
If I change just the folder name back to its original everything works fine.

Is ist a problem in GSX or where do I have to edit a file for working fine?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: simwings EDDH
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 11:48:49 pm »
The folder name is completely irrelevant to GSX, surely after SU12, when the usage of the Navdata API is automatic. When the Navdata API is enabled, GSX doesn't even know the name of the file ( let alone its path ) the airport data is coming from, because it's no longer coming from a file, it's coming directly from the sim, with some Simconnect calls.

But even if you explicitly re-enabled the legacy Airport cache method, even in that case, the path of the .BGL loaded never mattered. Yes, I know, there are plenty of GSX profiles readme files suggesting you need to "edit" the path to have the profile work, but that's just because whoever made these profile never read the manual carefully enough, which always clearly explained that, when sharing a profile, there's no need to edit the path in the .INI file because...it's just ignored.

So, regardless if you use the Navdata option (it's automatic now), or you manually enabled the Airport cache, what you are describing just cannot happen.

When you say "I have lots of gate positions, sometimes doubleing.", you mean you see those on the World Map too, or just in GSX ? Because, if you see double parking spots also in the World Map, your renaming has confused the simulator as well, and of course GSX (when using the Navdata), will reflect the same problem, because the data read IS coming directly from the sim. If the sim is confused, so it will be GSX.

It's also possible that, by renaming files, you altered the loading order of the packages, and if you FORGOT to configure GSX to Exclude its own replacement jetways for all the 3rd party airports you have (those files are only meant to be used with default airports), the conflicting parking position are coming from GSX replacement files for the airport you forgot to exclude, which you are now seeing because of the changed names (packages are loaded in Alphabetic order).

If the fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways package gets loaded after a 3rd party airport, and you failed to exclude its code (which you should do), you'll introduce a conflict, which will be visible as double parking spots in the map.

Now, about your plan of renaming, it might not be a very good idea. I don't know what you mean with "airport folder names are sometimes strange".

There is an OFFICIAL naming convention, which is enforced by Microsoft, in a way that products not conforming to this standard won't be accepted on the Marketplace, and it looks like this:

developer-airport-ICAO-airportname

USUALLY, payware products respect this convention, I don't know if there's anybody selling also on the Marketplace, which for some weird reason decided to change the package name to sell in different stores, it's just a needless added complication. Usually it's the freeware authors not conforming to the standard so, for example:

fsdreamteam-airport-cyvr-vancouver
fsdreamteam-airport-kclt-charlotte
fsdreamteam-airport-kiah-houston
inibuilds-airport-kjfk-new-york
inibuilds-airport-klax-los-angeles

These are all examples of proper package names conforming to the official naming convention.

tlc-airports-greenland
virtualfra-eddf

These two above are two freeware packages, and they don't conform to the  official naming convention.

Why the naming convention matters, and why it matters to GSX ?

Because if packages conform to the standard convention, when you click the "Exclude 3rd party" button in the GSX Config panel, it will FIND all airports automatically. If they are named randomly, you'll have to add their ICAO manually, one by one, for each one that doesn't match.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:51:32 pm by virtuali »