Author Topic: New GSX purchase MSFS CTD caused by simconnect and then GSX error  (Read 2007 times)

wakevortex

I did post this yesterday, but it seems to have vanished ! !

New purchaser today..I havent been able to complete even a short flight as at some point ONLY  when running GSX I have errors which  crash the entire sim..
any ideas.? .it seems to be a simconnect issue immediately followed by a Couatl crash..
(im aware that the error implicates simconnect, but GSX is the last process to crash with an ntdll.dll error  before fs2020 crashes out completely )
so far its happened when refueling, boarding, and using the follow me car
all up to date win 11 all up to date GSX (tonight updated)

Important point :- Unlinking GSX produced no crashes in 3 test flights.. in other words the sim is stable without GSX running

heres the windows event log entries.. same every crash

Category: FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX.SimConnectFlightConnector
EventId: 0
Exception received

Exception:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC000014B): 0xC000014B
   at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnect.ReceiveDispatch(SignalProcDelegate pfcnSignal)
   at FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX.SimConnectFlightConnector.HandleSimConnectEvents(Int32 message, Boolean& isHandled) in D:\Hy\Codes\_nguyenquyhy\FlightStreamDeck\FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX\SimConnectFlightConnector.cs:line 81

Faulting application name: couatl64_MSFS.exe, version: 4.8.0.5196, time stamp: 0x64411f0e
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1485, time stamp: 0xb7f0154a
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010be19
Faulting process ID: 0x0x5FFC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D97AC4267B1DEF
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: c3ecff06-e7b1-4e41-a07d-cb817405a5f2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 10:25:28 am by wakevortex »

I-DAMG

Re: New GSX purchase MSFS CTD caused by simconnect and then GSX
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:48:21 am »
I have the same problem........
And this is making me very angry!!!!

Michael Moe

Re: New GSX purchase MSFS CTD caused by simconnect and then GSX error
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 11:18:20 am »
Strange i never had this issue until today also after latest update.

Michael Moe

wakevortex

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 11:39:44 am »

Michael Moe

thats interesting...im a new user so its not a great start to the app  for me !  :-)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 12:03:47 pm »
Your crash log clearly shows a problem caused by this program, showing the error containing line:

FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX.SimConnectFlightConnector

D:\Hy\Codes\_nguyenquyhy\FlightStreamDeck\FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX\SimConnectFlightConnector.cs:line 81

Fact it using Simconnect for FSX, might indicate that software is using the FSX Simconnect client to connect to MSFS which, even is theoretically possible, will surely create problems when a proper MS application like GSX, that uses the native MSFS Simconnect version, is also used.

The problem with using two Simconnect clients made for two different versions of the sim, is due to the fact the FSX version was made using the Windows SideBySide system, which ( in theory ) should allow multiple versions of the same .DLL to be loaded in memory at the same time, with each client using its own version.

This method has been abandoned in MSFS, which uses static linking, which means the Simconnect client library used by each client is not loaded separately, but it's included in the program but, the problem is that a single one using the FSX SideBySide version, will likely cause issues other apps using the "proper" MSFS version, because the FSX version has been loaded in memory.

This is likely causing Simconnect issues inside the simulator *itself*, which probably the program to crash ( external .EXE cannot crash the sim on their own), but they only appear if you use an app that uses the FSX Simconnect client together with one that uses the native MSFS version, like GSX.

And that's why you are being mislead here by assuming GSX is "causing" the crash. Just because the crash is apparently "fixed" by disabling GSX, it doesn't mean GSX caused it. The real cause, instead, is the other one using the FSX Simconnect, but it won't manifest until you use it together with a native MSFS Simconnect client like GSX.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:05:42 pm by virtuali »

wakevortex

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 12:33:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply..v useful info

so I assume that given im running Streamdeck...a plugin  talking to simconnect from streamdeck  is the issue?
The name FlightStreamDeck doesnt ring any bells.. is there a way I could see what it is exactly in a simconnect crash log maybe?
Ive searched all streamdeck plugins, and the only one remotely close in name is this one
https://github.com/nguyenquyhy/Flight-Tracker-StreamDeck/blob/main/docs/USERGUIDE.md

thats fairly  important for all streamdeck/fs2020 interactions...

EDIT: found it in a log... looks like that is the culprit then !...
heres where it is installed, and there was a log there- in fact three logs all showing the same error since ive been using GSX

Ive uninstalled it to test , and will report back
much appreciated

C:\Users\BP\AppData\Roaming\Elgato\StreamDeck\Plugins\tech.flighttracker.streamdeck.sdPlugin

2023-04-30 12:24:39.231 +02:00 [INF] Registration is not needed.
2023-04-30 12:25:07.360 +02:00 [INF] Connected to Flight Simulator
2023-04-30 14:02:16.078 +02:00 [ERR] Exception received
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC000014B): 0xC000014B
   at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnect.ReceiveDispatch(SignalProcDelegate pfcnSignal)
   at FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX.SimConnectFlightConnector.HandleSimConnectEvents(Int32 message, Boolean& isHandled) in D:\Hy\Codes\_nguyenquyhy\FlightStreamDeck\FlightStreamDeck.SimConnectFSX\SimConnectFlightConnector.cs:line 81
2023-04-30 14:02:16.218 +02:00 [INF] Run action is triggered.
2023-04-30 14:02:16.218 +02:00 [INF] Run action is executing...
2023-04-30 14:08:32.139 +02:00 [INF] Registration is not needed.
2023-04-30 14:08:56.714 +02:00 [INF] Connected to Flight Simulator
2023-04-30 14:17:04.766 +02:00 [INF] Flight Simulator has exited

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:53:49 pm by wakevortex »

mpo910

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 12:56:26 pm »
Now I´m also gettings this CTD with the same message as the OP has posted. I´m not using Streamdeck.
I read what Virtuali has written, but I´m hoping this can be solved with the help of the developpers who are seeing this MSFS/Assobo decision is causing trouble at the users end.

Regards
MArcus

mpo910

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 07:53:40 am »

Michael Moe

Micheal,

where you able to solve this issue? I´m having this too. Flying round about 30 minutes and CTD. I get a message in the windows Eventviewer, that couatl crashed. I tried to find any other MSFS/MSFS Addon logs which could caused the crash, and didn´t find any. This couatl ctd appeared after the latest FSDT GSX Pro update, which I performed 2 days ago.

Anyone else seeing this?

Regards
Marcus

wakevortex

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 11:20:38 am »
It was very clear in  my crashes in the windows log that there was a simconnect issue..then immediately  a crash by couatl... do you not have 2 errors together there like I did?

mpo910

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 12:53:41 pm »
It was very clear in  my crashes in the windows log that there was a simconnect issue..then immediately  a crash by couatl... do you not have 2 errors together there like I did?

No. I have just one couatl Error in the windows eventlog. I have searched my addon logs, addons that use simconnect, and I did not find any further errors in them.
I NEVER, not a single time before, had couatl error messages in my eventlog in combination with a sim ctd. Prior this update the following occured:
1) only Couatl event entries in the eventlog WITHOUT crashing the sim. Couatl just stopped working and I could restart couatl and then it was fine or

2) when an addon ctd my sim, then I did not have a couatl error in the windows windows eventlog