Author Topic: Deboarding crew request all the time  (Read 1563 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Deboarding crew request all the time
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2023, 12:33:10 am »
However, the link/unlink don't seem to work... maybe? The installer tells "active " but NOW, GSX do not even show up in the toolbar

That's because you are confusing "Active", which means the status of the LICENSE, with the Linked/Unlinked status of the product, which is what makes the simulator "see" the product.

The Activation status of the license is completely unrelated to the Linked/Unlinked status, and will persist as long you don't change major hardware components or reinstall Windows from scratch.

The folders "fsdreamteam-gsx-pro" and "fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways" are there in the community folder but how should things actually look like if there is no unlink? There is also a "fsdreamteam-gsx-pro" folder in the Package folder but no "fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways"

Please clarify this, especially the part which says "There is also a "fsdreamteam-gsx-pro" folder in the Package folder but no "fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways"

What do you mean with "Package" folder ? Maybe the "Packages" folder, the one that by default *contains* the Community folder, which is located here:

MS Store:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Steam:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft FlightSimulator\Packages\Community

If that was you really meant, if I read your post correctly, you have something like this ?

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro

(of course, changing for the Steam version folders, if you use Steam)

Because that's what you wrote, literally, and that's not normal, and it's impossible you'd end up with that situation when using the FSDT Installer, which surely doesn't install anything OUTSIDE the Community folder, that really like the result of some manual copy, or possibly having used an external tool to manage packages.

Now the next question, are these real folders or shortcuts because, in normal situations, that is when using only the FSDT installer and not moving anything manually or not using other apps that might cause a mess, you are supposed to have this:

When GSX Pro reports "Installed" in the FSDT Installed ( =Linked )

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro (shortcut)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro (real folder)

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways (shortcut)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways (real folder)

When GSX Pro reports "Unlink" in the FSDT Installed ( =UnLinked )

C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro (real folder)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways (real folder)

When the program is Unlinked, you shouldn't have any gsx folder or shortcut in the Community folder, only the Addon Manager folders will still be there, ready to be relinked again, without having to redownload anything from scratch.

Under no circumstances you are supposed to have:

- The gsx folders as "real" folders ( not shortcuts ) in the Community folders

- The gsx folders anywhere outside the Community folder, either as real folders or as shortcuts.

I'm asking this because, a few days ago, I spent so much time troubleshooting a problem that seemed impossible, only to find out the user decided it was a good idea to manually copy the whole fsdreamteam-gsx-pro from the Addon Manager to the Community folder, so HE created a big mess because:

1) the real folder in the Community what was the only thing the simulator used but, since the FSDT Update works only on the package in the Addon Manager (because you are supposed to have a shortcut to there, not a real folder! ), he had the sim running an outdated version, because the one that got updated wasn't used by the sim, because of the folder in Community not being a shortcut, just an outdated copy.

2) the program *code* that runs in the Addon Manager WAS the latest version, but it had to run with outdated packages, and that was the real cause of the mess because, while having "just" an outdated version might not be a problem, the real problem is when you have half product updated ( the code in the Addon Manager folder ) and half of it outdated, the copy he made manually as a real folder instead of a shortcut.

So, please be very precise in clarifying exactly what's your situation is, because from your description ( assuming I understood it correctly ), you have some messed up install, which doesn't seem possible when using "just" the FSDT Installer.

mseder

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2023, 08:57:20 pm »
"So....what add-ons were you using, what airplanes, airports, what exactly were you doing when all this happened. "

I will pay attention and spend energy to reply to such questions if I suspect it can help me.  If Umberto ask questions I will reply to them as they then mean something as they are based on knowledge of the application and so potentially can bring the case forward.
All this I have already explained to you, please read my replies!!

Mats

mseder

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2023, 09:05:57 pm »
Umberto

3 days ago I posted
"After some link/unlink attempts it works.
So just drop all this mess."

I copied the Community folder directly to the new computer and I guess somewhere here it went wrong.

But I guess all what you wrote here is useful knowledge any way.

Thank you!
Mats

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2023, 11:25:10 pm »
I will pay attention and spend energy to reply to such questions if I suspect it can help me.  If Umberto ask questions I will reply to them as they then mean something as they are based on knowledge of the application and so potentially can bring the case forward.
All this I have already explained to you, please read my replies!!
I read what you wrote, I just don't think you're understanding what it is I'm trying to say. In any event, seeing as Umberto has already responded, I'm not going to waste any more time with this anymore.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 10:22:31 am »
I copied the Community folder directly to the new computer and I guess somewhere here it went wrong.

That's likely.

If the copy process ( it depends what program you used to copy, some backup utilities let you choose what to do with Symbolic links ) copied the Symbolically linked folders and reconstruct them as real folders, instead of copy the link "as it is", it would create a 2nd copy of GSX, one that cannot be updated, because the FSDT updater only works on the Addon Manager copy, but the simulator will see the 2nd copy in the Community instead and, when mixing up an outdated version in the Community, with the updated code in the Addon Manager (which expects the updated package too ), you will surely end up in nothing working, basically.

If you need to move the Community folder to a new drive, and you are dealing with anything that involves Symbolic links, either you know exactly how the copy process deals with them, or the safest option is:

- Removing the links

- Copy only the real folders

- Use the FSDT Installer to Relink GSX to the new Community.

If you have other add-ons that use Symbolic links, like those that has been handled by the Addon Linker, I'm sure there are similar options in the Addon Linker to recreate their links.