Author Topic: P3D GSX breaks after installing MSFS GSX  (Read 933 times)

willjet

P3D GSX breaks after installing MSFS GSX
« on: April 04, 2023, 10:54:13 am »
So, I know there is supposed to be a fix for this or whatever, but I am getting the issue. I have had P3D GSX installed for a long time working absolutely fine, but just after I installed the MSFS version, GSX and Couatl no longer appear in the Add-Ons menu, and even if I run Couatl_P3D.exe manually after the sim has started, it still doesn't work.

(MSFS works just fine FYI)

However as soon as I uninstall GSX Pro for MSFS, the P3D version miraculously works again. None of my friends have had this issue, and I have looked through the forums for a fix, but I am yet to find one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D GSX breaks after installing MSFS GSX
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 12:10:45 pm »
However as soon as I uninstall GSX Pro for MSFS, the P3D version miraculously works again.

Sorry, but this is plain impossible. When you uninstall GSX Pro with the FSDT Installer, which is the only way to uninstall it, what's really happening is JUST this:

- The two packages in the Addon Manager\MSFS folder will be removed:

fsdreamteam-gsx-pro
fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways

- Their links to the MSFS Community folder will be removed as well.

And that's it, nothing else. The Addon Manager\MSFS folder is not visible to P3D, since none of the add-on.xml we set for it includes it as a path so, clearly, it could contain anything, P3D won't see it in any case.

In addition to that, P3D runs a separate version of the Couatl engine ( Couatl64_P3D.exe ) and nothing is changed in the entire Couatl/Couatl64 folders or ANY other folders (except the Addon Manager\MSFS ) when performing an Uninstall of the MSFS version. Since the one and only folder that will be affected by an Uninstall is the one P3D doesn't have any access to, what you are reporting simply cannot happen, so I'm not surprised nobody else reported it.

While IT IS possible that INSTALLING GSX Pro might break the P3D version ( this can be fixed, of course, and it's likely related to antivirus blocking some files, or just a Windows restart required after the first install ), it's impossible that Uninstalling it would "fix it".

I can only provide with the usual suggestions:

- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS

- Download and install the FSDT Universal Installer again, and reinstall it.

- RESTART Windows after installing the FSDT Universal Installer, this might be a possible cause of a failure, depending on the state of some system libraries that needs to be updated or not, requiring a restart.

willjet

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 01:08:29 pm »
Hmm okay, I will fully remove GSX for both P3D and MSFS, and do a fresh reinstall.

Which version would you recommend installing first, P3D or MSFS?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 04:25:56 pm »
Which version would you recommend installing first, P3D or MSFS ?

Better start with P3D, then the FSDT Universal Installer, then (as a safety measure), restart Windows, then GSX Pro.