Author Topic: Airport profile location and how gsx interprets the thing.  (Read 950 times)

gianluk81

Airport profile location and how gsx interprets the thing.
« on: February 22, 2023, 12:28:45 pm »
Hello I have a simple question regarding the position of a gsx profile for an airport and how gsx behaves in this regard. I give a recent example, KLAX Inibuilds, in the latest update they put the gsx profile which is in the directory: \inibuilds-airport-klax-los-angeles\GSX Profile\
Well, the file inside should be moved to the Gsx profiles folder or can I leave it where it is and gsx will read it anyway? I read in the manual that gsx "reads" the scenery and if it finds the ini file of the profile it takes it from there, without needing it to be installed in the gsx profiles folder, but it's not clear to me, because reference is made to the scenery folder and not to a random folder, because in the inibuilds scenario the profile is not in \scenery but in \gsxprofile.
Also, is there a way to make sure gsx is actually reading a gsx custom profile?
Thanks and greetings.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airport profile location and how gsx interprets the thing.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 11:50:48 am »
It depends if the SU10 Navdata API option is used and, in fact, the manual explains this at Page 83, where the SU10 Navdata API is discussed:

GSX Custom Profiles

Until now, GSX tied a custom airport profile to the .BGL which was in use when the profile was made. But since we don’t read the .BGL anymore, now the only thing that ties a custom .INI profile to a certain airport, is the ICAO code, that is the first letters of the .INI file name.

It also means GSX Custom profiles will ONLY work from this folder:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX\MSFS

Custom profiles which were previously distributed by a scenery developer in the scenery package itself won’t be used anymore, since GSX won’t even know from which package or file the airport data is coming from.

The last sentence covers exactly your case: if you enable the SU10 Navdata option, a custom profile provided by the scenery developer in the scenery package can't be read ( GSX won't even read the Community folder for sceneries anymore ) MUST be moved to your custom profile folder in %APPDATA%.

Also, you need to be sure you have only ONE .INI for a given ICAO, and it is the correct one for the scenery you are using, because GSX will no longer able to associated an .INI to a certain .BGL, because it won't read the .BGL anymore.