Author Topic: [RESOLVED] GSX Menu fails to show at EGCC Manchester  (Read 1343 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
[RESOLVED] GSX Menu fails to show at EGCC Manchester
« on: February 11, 2023, 03:56:51 pm »
After landing at EGCC I taxied towards gate 43. A few hundred yards away I brought up the GSX menu and selected gate 43.

After parking I noticed the jetways weren't visible so restarted couatl. They then appeared.

I then tried to display the GSX menu so I could attach the jetway. The menu never appeared despite multiple restarts of couatl including rebuilding the indexes.

Log attached. I cannot see any time stamps against entries so have no idea when the were generated. This is an airport I have a very long time and the Cartayna files are a couple of years old. The only change is to GSX.

These lines from the log may help...

Requested parking services to Gate 43
Marshaller distance readout disabled by user preferences
https://www.simbrief.com/api/xml.fetcher.php?username=
Exception1 = HTTP response code said error
set object -1000 mt. underground
Monitored AI =  21
View changed to Outside (ChasePlane)
View changed to On-Board (ChasePlane)
GSX SimStop
Stopping Application...

Questions.
1) Why the multiple entries of services to gate 43?
2) What is the exception error? 
3) what is -1000mt underground?
4) Why couldn't I display the GSX menu?

If the log is unable to assist you in determining the problem then the logging is insufficient.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:55:46 pm by Ray Proudfoot »
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Menu fails to show at EGCC Manchester
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 04:14:36 pm »
1) Why the multiple entries of services to gate 43?

They *might* be caused by you trying to open the menu while the airport cache was still building up. At least, fact the cache was being rebuilt, is shown on the log you attached.

If you try to open the menu, especially multiple times, when the airport cache is rebulding, the GSX menu will surely get stuck.

But you said it was after landing so, it seems you restarted Couatl, or it automatically restarted because the Simconnect connection was interrupted for more than 30 seconds.

So, the first issue would be why this happened, and the next issue is, even if this happened, it shouldn't have triggered an airport cache restart, unless for some reason the last one failed, since the airport configuration surely won't change between sessions.

All the other issues in your log are completely normal.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:23:10 pm »
I only opened the GSX menu when selecting the gate number. That was when I was taxiing it. The next time was when I was parked at 43 and realised the jetways weren't visible. That's when I chose to restart couatl.

I tried to open the menu several times. Each attempt was recorded in the log but nothing in the log explains why the menu didn't display? Do you have a flag for when the menu is visible? If not it would be helpful to you.

I run Aivlasoft EFB via my network and I believe it requires SimConnect. It ran without any issues. I had no indication SimConnect had ceased to run. How would that manifest itself? On-screen message? Would your log detect SimConnect stopping?

The airport config file remained unchanged.

Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 05:20:09 pm »
I tried to open the menu several times. Each attempt was recorded in the log but nothing in the log explains why the menu didn't display?

As I've said, it was likely because the airport cache was still rebuilding because if it was, it's 100% sure you'll cause the menu to be stuck, if you call it multiple times in a row.

I had no indication SimConnect had ceased to run.

That's was just an assumption. Of course, if you restarted couatl manually...of course it restarted but again, that's not the main issue, the main issue is why it regenerated a cache for a restart during the middle of a session, where the scenery library surely couldn't possibly change.

Unless, you said "I restarted couatl", but if what you really did was restart couatl with the rebuild the airport cache option, in that case it's normal it's regenerating the cache, because that's what you asked it to do.

So, again, it's all normal, and the only problem was trying to open the menu several times in a row without waiting for EVERYTHING to be ready.

"EVERYTHING", after such restart means:

- the airport cache should be complete

- the model cache should be complete

- if the scenery has custom GSX jetways, you must wait for ALL of them to be created ( not just the ones in front of you ) before you can use the menu. This is always valid, even without the "restart and rebuild cache option"

In addition to that, in P3D5, there's an extra delay added by the html menu the first time you call it ( = after a restart ) so, the key has been received, the menu IS being created, but it take a couple of extra seconds which might mislead you thinking GSX is not working, but it is, and it's just the first extra slower call of the menu in action. Same as above, if you press the key again while the menu is being built, you surely cause a menu stuck, since we have no way to detect that situation.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 06:41:51 pm »

As I've said, it was likely because the airport cache was still rebuilding because if it was, it's 100% sure you'll cause the menu to be stuck, if you call it multiple times in a row.

So why isn’t the start and end of the caching logged? Having to make assumptions isn’t very satisfactory Umberto. If you logged when the caching started and ended you’d have certainty.

Quote from: virtuali
That's was just an assumption. Of course, if you restarted couatl manually...of course it restarted but again, that's not the main issue, the main issue is why it regenerated a cache for a restart during the middle of a session, where the scenery library surely couldn't possibly change.

I always choose restart Couatl without indexing. But if you logged my action you’d know that. It seems the log isn’t giving you much info. Every user action should be recorded and then you’d know what I’d done without needing to ask.

Quote from: virtuali
So, again, it's all normal, and the only problem was trying to open the menu several times in a row without waiting for EVERYTHING to be ready.

"EVERYTHING", after such restart means:

- the airport cache should be complete

- the model cache should be complete

- if the scenery has custom GSX jetways, you must wait for ALL of them to be created ( not just the ones in front of you ) before you can use the menu. This is always valid, even without the "restart and rebuild cache option"

In addition to that, in P3D5, there's an extra delay added by the html menu the first time you call it ( = after a restart ) so, the key has been received, the menu IS being created, but it take a couple of extra seconds which might mislead you thinking GSX is not working, but it is, and it's just the first extra slower call of the menu in action. Same as above, if you press the key again while the menu is being built, you surely cause a menu stuck, since we have no way to detect that situation.

All noted. Let’s see what happens when I arrive at my next airport. But please consider adding more logging because it strikes me it would help you when problem solving.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 06:55:14 pm »
After updating Addon Manager I flew into EGCC. Taxiing towards the terminal I selected gate 44 and on arrival I’m pleased to report the jetways were in the correct position and they operated correctly.

Looks like you’ve nailed this problem Umberto. A moment of inspiration?  ;D
Cheers,
Ray.