Author Topic: Can't install GSX Pro for MSFS - Corrupt EXE.XML file  (Read 2650 times)

Otonabee

Can't install GSX Pro for MSFS - Corrupt EXE.XML file
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:21:16 pm »
Boy do I hope someone here can help me!  I recently purchased GSX Pro for MSFS.  During install I get a prompt telling me that my EXE.XML file is corrupted and it wont' be modified by the GSX Pro Installer.  Didn't pay any attention until I loaded up MSFS and it would not load, froze on the load screen and kept kicking me back to desktop.  I un-installed GSX and MSFS would load fine.  Did some online searching and found others that had similar problems with corrupted EXE.XML files and were able to get help and fixed through this forum.   Can anyone help get this fixed for me, I can't use GSX Pro until I get this nasty bug fixed up. 

Really appreciate anyone's help here.
thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't install GSX Pro for MSFS - Corrupt EXE.XML file
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 10:20:18 am »
By definition, GSX/Couatl CANNOT CRASH THE SIM, since it runs completely external to the simulator, under a separate .EXE ( the Couatl engine ), and by definition, an regular .EXE like that doesn't have ANY access to the simulator process or memory, this is enforced at the Windows level.

A corrupted EXE.XML instead, CAN possibly crash the sim at start, and the message you saw during the installation is making it clear your already corrupted EXE.XML wasn't touched by GSX, so you can be sure the problem wasn't caused by the GSX installer, which won't dare to touch an already corrupted EXE.XML.

I suggest removing the EXE.XML file altogether, then reinstall GSX again, which will then create a new one which is surely not corrupted. The file can be found here:

MS Store version
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\exe.xml

Steam version
%APPDATA%\Microsoft FlightSimulator\exe.xml

Otonabee

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 03:13:38 pm »
Thank you very much for the reply.  I apologize but I have no idea how to find/get to that (%APPDATA%\Microsoft FlightSimulator\exe.xml) folder.  I went to my App Data folder, Microsoft Flight Sim folder but I can't see anything within the MSFS folder showing the EXE.XML.  Should I be copying and pasting the Steam link you provided somewhere to get the correct spot?  And if so, where do I go to paste it?  Sorry man but I am lost.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 08:41:26 am »
Should I be copying and pasting the Steam link you provided somewhere to get the correct spot?

You only had to type it exactly as I posted it (which includes the % ) in the Windows search bar or in a Windows Explorer address bar, then press Enter, and the right folder would automatically open.

The real folder pointed by %APPDATA% is not your "Appdata" folder but, instead, it's the Appdata\Roaming, usually located in:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming

But the "usually" remark it's precisely why I always use the correct form of %APPDATA% instead of saying "your appdata folder", because that one will open it regardless where it's located, while the other way not only might be easily confuse Appdata with Appdata\Roaming, but your user folder might not even be on C:\ so, the way I wrote it, it will always work, no matter what.

Otonabee

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 03:40:35 pm »
Thanks again, now my last question (promise).  In my AppData/Roaming/MSFS folder, I have 2 files in there that both show EXE in the name. 

One file is called EXE and is an XLM document, inside that file reads: (AFCBridge False C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\community\AFC_Bridge\bin\AFC_Bridge.exe ). 

The other file is called exe_backup which is also a XLM document.  Inside that file contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="WINDOWS-1252"?>
-<SimBase.Document version="1,0" Type="Launch">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
-<Launch.Addon>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Name>FSUIPC7</Name>
<Path>C:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe</Path>
<CommandLine>-auto</CommandLine>
<NewConsole>False</NewConsole>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I assume one of these is the actual EXE file you suggested to delete.  Can you tell me which one I should delete.  And lastly, will deleting this file in any way screw up my MSFS game in terms of loading or running properly?  Thank you again and I am sorry to bug, just would really like to get the GSX Pro working and need the tech help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 04:14:40 pm »
You should never post a file that way: there IS a reason why we always suggest to ZIP something and Attach it to a post and, in case of XML files, it's even more important, because it's the only way to look at the actual file, and the reason why it was corrupted.

In any case, as far the FSDT installer is concerned, the only file that matters is the EXE.XML, which is why is the only one I ever mentioned in my replies where the two possible locations were discussed, so there wouldn't be any doubt about which file you need to remove.

Otonabee

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 04:58:45 pm »
The Steam link you gave me does not take me directly to that EXE file.  It takes me to the App Data/Roaming/MSF folder.  When I open that, I am shown QTY 2 files with EXE included in the name (as per my earlier email).  There is NO file in there marked EXE.HML.  I bought your product 3 days ago, I am far from a "computer guy" and I can't get your product that I spent $50 Canadian working.  I do appreciate you replying back to my 3 separate posts, but I am no closer to getting this fixed as your last reply was nothing more than a "finger wag" in my direction and you are talking to me in riddles. If you can't/choose to not help then please say so, I will be $50 poorer but less stressed out than trying to figure out what file I need to delete.