Author Topic: Fsdt Live Update, finished or not?  (Read 1885 times)

Odi

Fsdt Live Update, finished or not?
« on: December 21, 2022, 05:38:36 pm »
Hi there, when I start Fsdt Live Update, will be shown (e.g.) 37 files. The updating process starts and aft a while the programm shut down. So I don't know if anything is installed or if the update program crashes. When I start the update again, the same number of files will be updated.
My Question: is it a crash or normal behaviour? Are you able to put a message into the updateprogram after updating to see if everythings going right?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Fsdt Live Update, finished or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 06:07:03 pm »
This has been asked and answered so many times on the forum and yes, it's completely normal, intentional and nothing has crashed:

- The updater will only perform steps for products you have installed. So, the only way you'll see all 37 steps being performed, is if you all FSDT products installed at the same time, for FSX, P3D and MSFS.

- Some files will always be downloaded, and it's normal, as explained here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be always downloaded, this is normal. Those kind of files are thousands of very small files that compress very well, so we found it was faster to always redownload them as single ZIP files, then check thousands of individual files if they are in need of an update.

- The updater hasn't crashed. Since it has updated everything, and it has nothing else left to do, it automatically quits because there's nothing else left to do other than quitting so...it just quits. This behavior has been added following several users suggestions they wanted to run the updater automatically as a part of a batch process before starting the sim, so a confirmation dialog saying "everything has been updated" would disrupt that process.

If you want to be more in control of the update process, decide what is being check for updates, have time to read messages, read the release notes to know what's changed, just run the Installer interface. The program is only one, it just runs with two different interfaces depending the icon you start it from.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 09:49:36 pm by virtuali »