Author Topic: GSX Unpredictable  (Read 986 times)

MightyMackrel

GSX Unpredictable
« on: December 17, 2022, 06:22:48 pm »
Hi, I installed GSX the other day and had difficulty getting it working in the first place, having to try installing it onto three different drives, disabling my antivirus and reinstalling it multiple times just to get it to work in the sim. Now, however, with GSX installed I am unable to even load into a number of airports - that is I don't even get to the "Ready to Fly" screen.

So far, I have tried CYUL (Montreal), which results in a CTD, KBOS (Boston) and EGCC (Manchester) result in a freeze, while EICK (Cork) and EINN (Shannon) work as expected.

I tried both Montreal and Boston with and without addon scenery I have for them to no avail. I also tried all of the above with GSX unlinked, and they worked perfectly, as such I have good reason to believe the issue is caused by GSX.

If there is any additional information needed please let me know what is required and where I would find it, as I am not very tech savvy

MightyMackrel

Re: GSX Unpredictable
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 07:58:51 pm »
A little update on this, KBOS has now started giving a CTD loading in too, but still works fine with GSX uninstalled. I've managed to find a log, and have it attached here. Any help would be appreciated, as I am starting to feel I wasted €40 on an unreliable addon...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:55:24 pm »
GSX is surely not the cause of your crashes. In fact, your log shows your simulator crashed for other reasons, and GSX detected the event and cleanly stopped.

GSX, running externally to the sim inside its own .EXE, by definition cannot cause a crash, because .EXE don't have any access to the simulator memory and process ( they are not low drivers or debuggers ).

It might be theoretically possible, but nobody really reported this before, that GSX replacement models for ground vehicles and/or jetways, if you are already very close to memory exhaustion ( especially VRAM ) because your settings are too high, especially in DX12, might cause a crash because you already had your settings too high for your system, so just adding more variety of models and textures because of the GSX replacement vehicles might have been enough to exhaust VRAM, which was already dangerously close to exhaustion. In DX12, VRAM exhaustion is also more likely to cause a crash, but of course the culprit is not GSX, is your settings were already too high for your system.

So you can try the following:

- Switch to DX11 if you aren't using it already.

- Disable "Ground Clutter" in the GSX Config panel and run the Update again. This will install a more lightweight version of the GSX jetway replacement files. It only matters on default airports though, because 3rd party airports should always have the GSX jetway replacements Disabled.

- If you are using 3rd party AI, and especially AI Injection software, lower the AI settings, especially in the AI Injection software, because it's known there's a limit on the maximum number of objects the simulator can display at once and, while you might not be able to hit it just with GSX or just with AI Injection ( depending on the airport ), it's more likely to hit it if you use them together.

MightyMackrel

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »
Thanks for your help, that explains a lot! I only have 4GB of VRAM on my GPU, so your suggestion for the cause of my crashes makes a lot of sense - I didn't think about the fact the ground vehicles would use up my remaining VRAM.

I'm already running DX11 and have the Ground Clutter disabled. I'm running FSLTL for multiplayer and Vatsim modelmatching but not for AI traffic. I take it that wouldn't cause the sim to hit the maximum number of objects to display?

I'll try reducing my settings to see if that fixes anything in that case, thanks again!