Author Topic: No Couatl icon in the Traybar  (Read 1288 times)

mseder

No Couatl icon in the Traybar
« on: December 25, 2022, 05:11:41 pm »
Hi

Haven't seen (ever) an icon in the traybar as expected.
I need to be able to restart COUTL, how can I accomplish this?
Turning off McAfee has no effect

Win10

Mats
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 05:37:29 pm by mseder »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Couatl icon in the Traybar
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 05:35:18 pm »
Configure the antivirus to add the entire Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions.

Using McAfee in case that has to do with it.

While I cannot fully sure how the current situation is, last time we got reports from users, McAfee didn't allowed to add whole folders to their Exclusions, an important feature even the free Windows Defender has. If that still the case, I strongly suggest switching to a better antivirus, one that doesn't miss this basic feature.

mseder

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 05:46:06 pm »
Hi

Sorry did update my text.
Did turn off McAfee Firewall , no change.

Mats

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 05:50:55 pm »
Did turn off McAfee Firewall , no change.

You can't really turn-off an antivirus entirely. That's why we never suggested to turn it off but, instead, configure it to add the Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions.

It's because we witnessed, multiple times, with multiple antivirus products, that even if you "turn it off", its low-level service is still running in the background, possibly interfering and even in a subtle manner that, because it's "turned off", it doesn't even *tell* you it has blocked something.

So, again, don't turn off the antivirus, but add the Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions, if you can. After you done that, run the FSDT Update again, to be sure you are getting the latest version of everything the antivirus might possibly have blocked from being installed.

mseder

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 06:34:36 pm »
ok I see

Programs can be excluded from firewalls and separate files from scanning.
I assume this is a firewall issue and not excluding files from scanning?
Folders are not possible to add.
What should I do?

Is there a specific program that initiate Couatl in the tray bar or??

Mats

« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 06:36:53 pm by mseder »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 06:42:18 pm »
Folders are not possible to add.

That's what I was referring to, as a McAfee-specific weakness.

Is there a specific program that initiate Couatl in the tray bar or??

Of course there is, the "Start Couatl for GSX MSFS". However, if your antivirus is blocking it, it won't likely change if you start it that way or it's being started by MSFS automatically.

If, instead, you notice it works from that icon, just it doesn't start automatically with the sim, it more likely an MSFS issue, discussed here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26924.0.html

mseder

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 07:11:15 pm »
ok

I excluded couatl_MSFS_64.exe from McAfee
No difference, and I mean that program has always been up and running.
Also it knows how to crash as well (Exception code: 0xc0000005)

Actually my basic problem is that the toolbar do not appear in VR. Not all the time but pretty often.
I'm trying to exclude programs/scripts that blocks the MSFS panels from showing up, searching in the dark.

Mats

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 07:20:18 pm »
I think I was quite clear in my explanation: you MUST exclude the whole folder! If it was enough to just exclude the .EXE, I would have said so.

Since it's clearly not feasible to manually exclude every file in that folder, I suggest to get rid of McAfee, just use the default Windows Defender, and feel free to complain to McAfee for not including a very important feature that even the free antivirus from Microsoft offers, which is fundamental for any antivirus product. The program that is failing you here is McAfee.

mseder

?
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 07:36:04 pm »
Of course people will not change their virusprotection providers in order to have FSDT working properly.
So that suggestion is not an option, I mean, what's next on your fix list, changing OS?

It seems, according to the thread you refer to  that the this might be a MS problem?

And also, if I understand this correct, the traybar  solution offers a restart option while just starting the exe file don't do that or??

Mats

mseder

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 07:46:52 pm »
Whatever.

The icon is there now, I noticed that (from the thread you're referring to) that having MSFS running as admin could be the solution, and that it was. (A bit tricky to apply it in the steam -version)
Here is how:
1 Right-click Microsoft Flight Simulator in your Steam Library.
2 Go to Properties > Local Files.
3 Click Browse Local Files.
4 Locate FlightSimulator.exe.
5 Right-click it and go to Properties.
6 Click the Compatibility tab.
7 Check the Run this program as an administrator box.
8 Click Apply.

Mats

« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 08:48:10 pm by mseder »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 10:41:38 pm »
Of course people will not change their virusprotection providers in order to have FSDT working properly.

You are making it sound as if I said that "everybody" should change their virus protection, regardless which one it is.

That's not what I said, I said THAT particular antivirus product, McAfee, that has an obvious weakness, and it's the inability to add a whole folder to its Exclusions, and this is a serious shortcoming of THAT particular product, if McAfee decided to design their product to be very unique ( I think it's the only one that lacks that ability ), it would be wrong and not doing you a complete service by not disclosing it.

It seems, according to the thread you refer to  that the this might be a MS problem?

That thread suggested several reasons, one of them was surely an MSFS problem and pointed out with evidence Asobo was aware of it so, clearly, it COULD have been an MSFS issue.

And also, if I understand this correct, the traybar  solution offers a restart option while just starting the exe file don't do that or??

No, you'll always have a tray bar icon, regardless how you started the program.

The icon is there now, I noticed that (from the thread you're referring to) that having MSFS running as admin could be the solution, and that it was. (A bit tricky to apply it in the steam -version)

This is not normally required. It might be, if your normal user account has limited permissions.

Our program, by itself, doesn't really require admin permission but, if I understood correctly, the problem here is not really the antivirus ( otherwise it wouldn't start in either case ), just the automatic startup from the simulator itself.

mseder

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 01:40:21 am »
"You are making it sound as if I said that "everybody" should change their virus protection, regardless which one it is.
That's not what I said, I said THAT particular antivirus product, McAfee, that has an obvious weakness."

I meant that replacing ANY Antvirusproduct, in this case McAfee is a huge deal, with potential high costs etc that do not correspond to the FSDT issue.

"No, you'll always have a tray bar icon, regardless how you started the program. "

I've never had a couatl tray bar icon until today.

Mats

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 01:46:29 am »
I've never had a couatl tray bar icon until today.

Then it's possible your one and only issue was you had to run MSFS as administrator, and the antivirus wasn't really the issue or, maybe, it was, but it stopped being an issue when you excluded just the main .EXE, but if you *also* had to run as admin, solving one issue wasn't enough.

It's only after you asked if there was a way to start the program manually, that I guessed your issue might not have been strictly the antivirus, and it might have been "just" the issue of not starting it automatically.

mseder

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 03:11:35 pm »
"Then it's possible your one and only issue was you had to run MSFS as administrator,"
Most probably yes

"but it stopped being an issue when you excluded just the main .EXE"
But I removed the exclusion in McAfee afterwards, icon still in traybar, so that made no difference.

Thank you
Mats