Author Topic: How to identify which version I'm on  (Read 833 times)

JumboAg99

How to identify which version I'm on
« on: November 25, 2022, 08:23:01 pm »
Is there a way to confirm whether I'm actually on the "current" release of GSX?  When I run the Live updater, it crashes without any error message partway through.  If I run the installer, it launches fine and then if I try to update, it spends time downloading and installing a bunch of stuff every single time.  Not sure if its not finishing correctly or if that's normal behavior and it will always download the current version and install even if you're already current. 

-
Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How to identify which version I'm on
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 08:29:05 pm »
Is there a way to confirm whether I'm actually on the "current" release of GSX?  When I run the Live updater, it crashes without any error message partway through.

The Live Update hasn't "crashed". It has QUIT, because it didn't had anything left to do. This is how it's supposed to work.

If I run the installer, it launches fine and then if I try to update, it spends time downloading and installing a bunch of stuff every single time.  Not sure if its not finishing correctly or if that's normal behavior and it will always download the current version and install even if you're already current. 

This is usually normal, and has been explained here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be always downloaded, this is normal. Those kind of files are thousands of very small files that compress very well, so we found it was faster to always redownload them as single ZIP files, then check thousands of individual files if they are in need of an update.

Unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded every time, this is also normal.

Which means, if your "bunch of stuff every single time" are THESE 3 kinds of files, and nothing else, it means everything's normal, and you HAVE the latest version.

Instead, if you run the Updater, or the Installer ( which are exactly the same .EXE, with two different interfaces ) twice in a row, and you see that OTHER "stuff" (other than the ones that are *supposed* to be always downloaded ), is being downloaded, over and over, you might have a problem with your local Cloudflare node, so you need to download and install the latest OFFLINE installer, linked in the same thread.