Author Topic: Problem-Laggy GSX vehicles  (Read 2573 times)

Tnzboi

Problem-Laggy GSX vehicles
« on: November 08, 2022, 06:36:46 pm »
Im having this problem in MSFS GSX where the gsx vehicles will move really stuttery, and I have no idea why, while my sim moves smooth, it seems to be a gsx only problem seen as my sim doesnt stutter at all, anyone got a fix?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem-Laggy GSX vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 06:43:32 pm »
Im having this problem in MSFS GSX where the gsx vehicles will move really stuttery, and I have no idea why, while my sim moves smooth, it seems to be a gsx only problem seen as my sim doesnt stutter at all, anyone got a fix?

Nobody ever reported this problem before.

Since GSX vehicles are controlled by Simconnect, the only possible reason I can think of, is too many add-ons used at the same time, all making too many calls to Simconnect, with the sim not being able to keep up with all of them.

Tnzboi

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 07:16:19 pm »
Ok, interesting, any ideas which addons in specific would take up such a massive amount of space?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »
Ok, interesting, any ideas which addons in specific would take up such a massive amount of space?/quote]

Space doesn't matter, what matters is how many connections an add-on does in a given amount of time.

As I've said, since nobody ever reported laggy GSX vehicles, it's difficult to say so, the first thing to try would be trying to temporarily disable such add-ons. Surely it must be something with an app, like a traffic injection tool, or something that controls some hardware.

ACSoft

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 02:29:56 pm »
I also have a similar problem:

In my case, I have stutters when switching from cockpit view to external view or the contrary. These stutters seem linked with some assets or data's loading, triggered by the camera mode switching, because they only happen for a few seconds and then, everything return to smooth behaviors.

What is sure, these camera mode switching interfere with the Couatl engine.

Is there any way to optimize this ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 03:42:34 pm »
What is sure, these camera mode switching interfere with the Couatl engine.

The only thing sure, is they don't.

Whenever object you have on screen, regardless if it has been created by the scenery, by the AI or ( in this case ) the Couatl engine, which creates them exactly in the same way as other product would, using Simconnect ( like AI Injectors ), the simulator will ALWAYS try to "optimize" them if it thinks they are currently outside your field of view, for example trying to reclaim memory, both RAM or VRAM.

This process is of course completely outside our control and, if you constantly switch camera views and/or viewing angle and/or rotate or zoom in/out around objects, the optimization process *itself* has some cost, which result in stuttering, without the objects or the add-ons that created them being completely unable to even know this is happening.

ACSoft

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 03:39:26 pm »
Thanks a lot for all these detailed explanations !

On my side I found a solution to suppress the stutters:

I have changed the priority of Couatl64_MSFS.exe engine to HIGH and no more stutters at all, when switching camera views. As you can see, in my case, these stutters HAVE something to do with Couatl engine.

I have also created a Registry key to set permanently the priority to HIGH (in Image File Execution Options) and not have to change it manually on each time the engine is started, If it work perfectly when I start the couatl engine from a shortcut, unfortunately it does not work from the damned MSFS exe.xml !!!

I don't know if you can do something about that. Maybe an option in the installer config page (where we have the "Use SU10 Navdata API" option), to allow a HIGH priority for the Couatl engine ?

For your information, I didn't remarked the smallest side consequences on MSFS behaviors itself.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 02:52:03 pm »
I have changed the priority of Couatl64_MSFS.exe engine to HIGH and no more stutters at all, when switching camera views. As you can see, in my case, these stutters HAVE something to do with Couatl engine.

No, they don't.

Not in normal situations because, in normal situations, Windows is able to automatically allocate threads to different running process to the cpu cores that are less used, dynamically. This is of course done using the priority system, so the ones with an higher priority are given a preference over the one with a lower one.

If one or more applications in the system, not necessarily related to Flight sim, has forced itself to run with higher than normal priority ( this can be done with a Windows API call by the app itself ), and they are taking cpu time, applications with standard priority will of course suffer from this.

That's why it's wrong for an application that does not require running in high priority and was only required in your specific case, because something else was taking away all the Windows scheduler attention, to try to force itself automatically, like you are seem to suggest here.

What if EVERY application will start doing this ? It would make the priority completely worthless, since if everybody wants "high priority", you'll end up again with the same apps competing for the same resources again, making it even worse than already is for application that don't normally require it, and Couatl exe surely doesn't.

So, if I were you, instead of forcing Couatl running in a way it doesn't normally require, I would investigate which other application (again, not strictly flightsim-related) is taking so much cpu time that it caused that issue to begin with, chances are it might not something you need for MSFS, because this kind of behavior is more common from multimedia/audio/screen capture or similar.

ACSoft

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 09:50:16 am »
So, if I were you, instead of forcing Couatl running in a way it doesn't normally require, I would investigate which other application (again, not strictly flightsim-related) is taking so much cpu time that it caused that issue to begin with, chances are it might not something you need for MSFS, because this kind of behavior is more common from multimedia/audio/screen capture or similar.

Uberto,

Sorry, but I doubt your explanation of what should cause my problem is the good one. Something other is the real cause and to my view, it has obviously something to do directly or indirectly with Couatl engine.

I made further deep investigations and even with absolutely no other side applications running, including other MSFS addons like FSRealistic or/and FS2Crew (which are the only other I use also with GSX Pro), the only way to avoid these curious temporary stutters, when changing from cockpit camera to external camera, is to set Couatl engine to "high priority". Moreover, during these tests I have also monitored the CPU charge and didn't remarked any exceptional heavy load of my CPU.

Uberto, if we set all what is running on a computer to "high priority" instead of default "normal priority" as it is, this would be a complete non sense and therefore, it is not a valid argument to reject the possibility of playing with different priority level in some circumstances, for example, in my case, to solve a very annoying problem with Couatl engine !

Of course, I would prefer that you find the real reason and correct it on your side, because I am persuaded that this problem could be solved on your side. But this will surely never happen for the very valid following reasons: 1) this is probably particular to my PC configuration. This was confirmed by most of my friends playing MSFS + GSX Pro with other machines and don't suffer of this problem. 2) You will probably not be able to reproduce this problem.

Therefore, in conclusion, I am happy to have managed on my own to solve this problem, even with a solution you seem to not like very much.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 11:00:21 am »
Of course, I would prefer that you find the real reason and correct it on your side, because I am persuaded that this problem could be solved on your side. But this will surely never happen for the very valid following reasons: 1) this is probably particular to my PC configuration. This was confirmed by most of my friends playing MSFS + GSX Pro with other machines and don't suffer of this problem. 2) You will probably not be able to reproduce this problem.

Are you aware that, the two points you indicated, made the first part of the sentence we could "fix the problem from our side" invalid ?

Therefore, in conclusion, I am happy to have managed on my own to solve this problem, even with a solution you seem to not like very much.

You misunderstood me.

I never said YOU shouldn't have used that solution, if it worked for you. That's precisely why Windows let you set a processing priority to begin with: to sort out fringe cases that are unique to your configuration, where the default task scheduling in Windows failed to do it automatically.

It's that you asked to add an option in the installer, to "fix" something that you are aware is likely be unique to your system. And for there, you do have the default Windows option.