Author Topic: Since a couple of days ago - Could not find valid AFCAD data at this position,  (Read 1414 times)

jfo11

Hello, as written in the subject, since a couple of days ago (let's say since October 23), I cannot use GSX in many of the flights, because the menu enters a long spinning, and finally the voice says "Could not find valid AFCAD data at this position. No services available".
There is no solution for that, since closing COUATL and opening again solves nothing. The only possible solution would be to fully close MSFS when this happens, and restart it again.
Funny think, this does not happen all the time. Sometimes the program behaves normally, as it has done for the last weeks (I have been regularly using GSX for MSFS since launch, without many issues before).
I have tried:
- Starting COUATL before running MSFS - no success
- Starting COUATL just after hitting "Fly" in the World Menu- This has been my m.o. since I began using GSX for MSFS - no success
- Starting COUTAL AFTER spawning at the gate  - This seems to be the best solution, as most of the times (but not always) GSX seems to work.
I have updated today via the installer to the latest GSX version (hopefully).
I have enabled the "beta" API mode (this might be the culprit, I do not know).
GSX may work on one airport one day, and will not start on the same airport on the next day. Example: Landed yesterday at Muscat Seeb Intl. (Oman). GSX working fine (apart of the usual passengers flying to the jetway ;-). Today I spawned at the same airport to depart, no way to start GSX. After closing MSFS and trying again, GSX has started.
I attach two log files in the zip, one with a failed start, and one with a successful start.
ideas are welcome, it is hard for me now to fly without GSX...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:47:21 am by jfo11 »

zannu

+1 same problem

Tolo303sq

same here

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Please don't post "same here" without posting a log.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Today I spawned at the same airport to depart, no way to start GSX. After closing MSFS and trying again, GSX has started.

As already explained in other threads, the general rule about *anything* that works with Simconnect, including GSX is:

- Is the problem solved by restarting the program, in this case the Couatl engine ? If yes, that's something we might improve upon, even if that doesn't necessarily mean it's a GSX problem, it's usually a Simconnect bug, but not serious enough that it won't be fixed by reconnecting to it, which means restarting.

- Is the problem only solved by restarting MSFS ? In this case, it's nothing that has anything to do with us or that we can fix it, since it's likely caused by a more serious bug in the sim, where Simconnect might not be able to recover by simply reconnecting to it.

The most likely REASON why Simconnect might bet stuck ( regardless if needs a complete simulator restart or not ), are too many connections caused by using too many Simconnect add-ons at the same time, so it can't keep up with all of them, sometimes it's enough to restart one client, sometimes it requires an MSFS restart.

While using the Navdata API has lots of advantages ( no airport cache, faster startup and compatibility with Marketplace airports ), it also makes GSX more reliant on Simconnect, that's why it's an option and is still not default, especially because GSX is likely the first add-on using the new Navdata API for airports, so nobody really knows if it's completely reliable.

JetNoise

Same error at EVRA (Justsim)

LOG attached

Oliver

jfo11

Ciao Umberto
About your reply:
- Is the problem solved by restarting the program, in this case the Couatl engine ? If yes, that's something we might improve upon, even if that doesn't necessarily mean it's a GSX problem, it's usually a Simconnect bug, but not serious enough that it won't be fixed by reconnecting to it, which means restarting.
A: No, it is not solved by restarting the program (Couatl). However, this morning this happened to me (spawned and got the error) so I went to your installer, to settings, unchecked the "SU10 API" option, started Couatl, and then it worked.

- Is the problem only solved by restarting MSFS ? In this case, it's nothing that has anything to do with us or that we can fix it, since it's likely caused by a more serious bug in the sim, where Simconnect might not be able to recover by simply reconnecting to it.
A: Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but restarting MSFS is not an option for me (takes 5 minutes to load into world map).

The most likely REASON why Simconnect might bet stuck ( regardless if needs a complete simulator restart or not ), are too many connections caused by using too many Simconnect add-ons at the same time, so it can't keep up with all of them, sometimes it's enough to restart one client, sometimes it requires an MSFS restart.
A: When it fails, the only apps running which (probably) use Simconnect are the Fenix A320 and the Navigraph Simlink, that should not be "too many Simconnect add-ons".

While using the Navdata API has lots of advantages ( no airport cache, faster startup and compatibility with Marketplace airports ), it also makes GSX more reliant on Simconnect, that's why it's an option and is still not default, especially because GSX is likely the first add-on using the new Navdata API for airports, so nobody really knows if it's completely reliable.
A: May I suggest that you add to your software a branching point which, if for whatever reason fetching the data via the API fails with this error -6, it automatically reverts to the older way at least for the rest of the current session?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:38:01 am by jfo11 »

JetNoise

A: No, it is not solved by restarting the program (Couatl). However, this morning this happened to me (spawned and got the error) so I went to your installer, to settings, unchecked the "SU10 API" option, started Couatl, and then it worked.

Read this and unchecked the SU10 API as well. Restarted Couatl and voila, GSX reads the airport and services are available ...

Oliver

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Read this and unchecked the SU10 API as well. Restarted Couatl and voila, GSX reads the airport and services are available ...

That's what I meant when I said, because GSX is likely the first add-on using the new Navdata API for airports, nobody really knows if it's completely reliable, we are all testers in this. That's why we are not planning to remove the Airport cache, it will be always available as an option.