Author Topic: Couatl script engine silently stops during flight  (Read 981 times)

WernerAir

Couatl script engine silently stops during flight
« on: October 23, 2022, 04:59:25 pm »
Since about a week ago (I think it was after the update that introduced the SU10 navdata API usage) I have been noticing that the Couatl scripting engine seems to turn off during flight. I noticed this at first because after landing it was not possible to load the GSX menu, and then I noticed the Couatl icon had disappeared from the Windows taskbar. Since then it keeps happening virtually every flight: Couatl stops at some point during the flight (no error message or anything), and I have to restart it manually before / after landing in order to get ground services during arrival.

Is this happening to anyone else as well?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:42:17 am by WernerAir »

chrisbox

Re: Couatl script engine silently stops during flight
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 05:36:16 pm »
I have had this as well, a copy of my coatl log is attached.

goose66

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 10:12:11 pm »
No.  When mine stops it kicks and screams and sound like a demon from the thirteenth level of hell.  Nothing silent about it.
Mark AAL3 VP-HR

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 10:50:06 am »
Nothing in your log shows any problems, it seem the program just crashed.

If this happened only with the Navdata enabled, it's very likely a problem with it, since GSX is most likely the first add-on that use it, so we are all testing this. However, the Couatl program has been designed to be started or restarted manually and, in fact, there's no reason to use it while you are flying, if you start it before landing ( if you want to pre-select a gate ) or even just after landing, it will work just fine, and has been made considering this usage case, this way you won't be affected by possible issue with Simconnect, that seems to sometimes just stop talking with add-ons, especially if you have more than one connected to it.

WernerAir

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 03:56:25 pm »
It is not a terrible issue, of course. Just a change in behavior I noted which has a little impact on overall comfort, so I thought you might want to know and keep an eye on it.
I have now managed to save a log file before restarting (see attachment). The crash seems to happen while loading data from some airport passed in mid-flight - perhaps because the aircraft exits the range of the airport again before the navdata API is able to supply the data.

All in all, I find that GSX is a rather robust add-on. Yes, it may crash, but it's easily restarted and it doesn't take MSFS down with it, which I appreciate very much.