Author Topic: Airport Priority: Default vs. 3rd Party  (Read 2650 times)

Turok144

Airport Priority: Default vs. 3rd Party
« on: September 29, 2022, 02:06:41 am »
Hi Umberto,

This question is related to my previous thread: https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27874.0.html

My troubles continue with the 3rd party airport LJLJ.  I did not buy it via the Market Place and it's resided in the "Official" MSFS 2020 sub-directory in my Steam folder.  For some reason this airport is no longer being recognized by the sim in the "Official" directory and does not appear on the content manager list.  I think this may be due to the new SU10 update.  As mentioned previously, I moved the airport file to the "Community" folder where it can be seen in the content manager and the scenery appears normal when selected as the destination.

When the airport file resides in the "Official" sub-directory, I can only see the MSFS default state of the airport and not what the 3rd party dev created.  Additionally, exclude/exclude jetways work accordingly but again with the default state of the airport.

Exclude/Include does not work on this airport when it resides in the "Community" folder.  The passengers also do not like to follow the 3rd party glass jetway.

So my question is:  How can I get the GSX include/exclude behavior to work while the airport is in the "Community" sub-folder?

It works in the "Official" folder, but then I cannot see the 3rd party scenery.

My other question is: Can the priority of the 3rd party airport be forced to override the default state of the default airport while it's residing in the "Official" folder.  It was working fine before the update.  I even re-installed the third party airport but now it only works while in the Community folder.  Thus the madness continues.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 04:08:49 am by Turok144 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airport Priority: Default vs. 3rd Party
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:13:03 pm »
I did not buy it via the Market Place and it's resided in the "Official" MSFS 2020 sub-directory in my Steam folder.  For some reason this airport is no longer being recognized by the sim in the "Official" directory

Well, there first obvious question is: if you haven't bought it on the Marketplace, what is doing in the Official folder ? The whole point of having a Community folder, which is read AFTER the whole Official folder, is precisely to reduce the change of being dependent on priorities for 3rd party airports.

So my question is:  How can I get the GSX include/exclude behavior to work while the airport is in the "Community" sub-folder?

The only thing the GSX Config panel controls, is the Exclusion/Inclusion for GSX OWN jetway replacement files, and the rule is very simple:

do you have a 3rd party airport for that ICAO ? If yes, you MUST Disable the GSX jetways file, if no, you can keep it Enabled, unless you want to use default jetways there for some reason.

That's why any discussion about priorities and GSX jetway replacement files is not relevant when a 3rd party airport is involved: it doesn't matter, because GSX replacement files are not supposed to replace 3rd party airports, the only thing they do ( if present!! ) is to replace jetways at *default* airports, and they will always succeed to do that, because default airports are in the Official folder, and GSX files are in the Community folder, so they will always obtain an higher priority over the default airports package, just because they are in the Community folder.

The only possible problem might be if you have *another* scenery that also replaced jetways on a particular ICAO, which is also in the Community folder, and it got an higher priority than GSX, resulting in not seeing GSX replacement jetway for a *default* airport. But in case of a 3rd party airport, which you are always supposed to Disable from GSX in any case, this won't be a problem.

Turok144

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 07:28:46 pm »
Thanks Umberto.

I don't remember if the install of LJLJ put the airport in the official folder or if I put it there. Nevertheless, the GSX glass jetway was working before in this 3rd party airport and now it is not.  In the attached picture, you can clearly see the GSX glass jetway (horizontal) and the 3rd party glass jetway behind it (diagonal angle)  So at some point, GSX was able to replace the jetways of third party airports.  The sad part is that the passengers do not follow the jetway of the 3rd party jetway. :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 03:55:37 pm »
Nevertheless, the GSX glass jetway was working before in this 3rd party airport and now it is not.  In the attached picture, you can clearly see the GSX glass jetway (horizontal) and the 3rd party glass jetway behind it (diagonal angle)  So at some point, GSX was able to replace the jetways of third party airports.  The sad part is that the passengers do not follow the jetway of the 3rd party jetway. :(

Showing doesn't necessarily mean working!

Even if you manage to give GSX jetways an higher priority, so they might even be able to show *and* "replace" the existing ones, they might be visually fine, but they still won't work correctly, unless in the very unlikely case the 3rd party scenery has *exactly* the same parking spots as the default one, using exactly the same names, placed in exactly the same positions.

That's because GSX needs to match a jetway with a parking in order to be able to detect it and, without being able to detect the jetway, passengers will never work correctly.

So, once again: GSX replacement files are ONLY meant to be used to replace default jetways on default airports, and if you have a 3rd party scenery, you must Disable the GSX replacement file, no way around it.

Turok144

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 05:19:38 pm »
It's not working anymore as previously stated.  It used to work when the 3rd party airport was in the official folder.  Not only is it being shown in the screenshot, but it worked flawlessly.  The passengers followed the jetway path perfectly as you can see on both sections of the GSX custom glass jetway.  The SU 10 ruined a perfectly working 3rd party jetway replacement. 

I understand what you are saying that the GSX program is only for default airports.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 12:43:35 pm »
The SU 10 ruined a perfectly working 3rd party jetway replacement. 

That's possible, is that default airport has been updated with SU10, Navdata updates in default sceneries can happen at any time, sometimes even in between SU updates.

So, maybe, by chance it worked before, because the default airport had the same parking names/position ( at least where jetways were concerned ) of the add-on, so you could leave the GSX jetway replacement Active, but now if the default scenery changed parking spots names/positions, the GSX replacement file wouldn't work anymore there.

Also, note that SU10 has removed the CONTENT.XML file, where you could control the loading order of scenery areas, now there's a new tool in the Experimental menu to re-arrange areas.

hjsmuc

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 12:53:16 am »
Apologies if I highjack this topic and if the issue was explained in detail elsewhere: I am currently trying GSX Pro with my FSDT LSZH airport. I get double jetways at most gates and I have no clue what to do. There is a default Asobo LSZH airport, but removing it only results in it being reinstalled upon the next start of the sim. I understand that there is an order of priority that GSX follows but how does it work exactly? If I can sort it out once, I am happy to buy the product (which I own for P3D, where I had similar issues) right away. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I believe I found a solution for my problem. I set the gate to medium (I am flying the PMDG 7378) and then the lower jetway connected without interfering with the upper jetway Not sure that this is the proper handling though. BTW, I already bought the product as it is really amazing when it comes to immersion. That guy unloading the luggage is really a treat.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 02:14:20 am by hjsmuc »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 12:03:17 pm »
I am currently trying GSX Pro with my FSDT LSZH airport. I get double jetways at most gates and I have no clue what to do. There is a default Asobo LSZH airport, but removing it only results in it being reinstalled upon the next start of the sim.

How you removed it ? If you remove it by just deleting its folder from the Official folder, it will be downloaded it again on the next startup but, if you remove it from the Content Manager, it won't.

hjsmuc

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 11:12:10 pm »
Thanks for replying. I got the airport issues sorted out as per my latest post. GSX is working fine now, I only have to find out how to get a start-up scenario where the PMDG settings don't interfere with GSX.